Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

The Hunt House, 29 High Street - My House

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

The Hunt House, 29 High Street - My House

Postby peterbh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm

We used to live at 29 High Street from 1955 to 1990ish. My father, A.J. Barton-Hanson started an upholstery business at this address and the large windows are his showroom. He also had a fabric shop at No. 8 between B.A. Jones and the Westminster Bank.

I came across the photo no.71 in Gallery/OW History Soc./Buildings which refers to the house as the "Hunt House, High Street, Warsop. Meeting place for the Hunt (1986)". I have no recollection at all of the house being named in this way. I seem to think that it might have been named Grove House or similar at some time but not too sure.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone can shed any light on the Hunt House name? I've Googled it but no luck.

The last time that I visited Warsop was for my father's funeral in 1988. Doing a Google street view shows an awful lot of changes since then. Not all good I have to say. A lot of the old stone cottages seem to have been demolished, although some do remain. A shame really. A few old shop names are still there but not many, such as Burton & Sherwood. No Metheringhams, Spencers or Bradleys these days.

Anyway, hope to hear from someone about the Hunt House.

Thanks Peter B-H
peterbh
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories