Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Netto

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Netto

Postby Westmorland » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Netto came to talk to the Parish Council last night and their presentation was very well received

The Parish Council are looking to get the ugly bingo hall demolished as part of the Netto development

it currently has a preservation order on it but the council are looking to have this removed , lets face it the building is empty no one wants to move in and it will become the New Top Cat building and fall into disrepair and be an eyesore

If the Netto development goes through then it will be open Monday to Saturday 8am till 10pm and Sunday 10am till 4pm

It will be due to open in September 2016

There will be 72 car parking paces and it will be landscaped to protect nearby cottages at the entrance on Burns Lane
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Netto

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:20 pm

I was opposed to Tesco coming to Warsop because I was afraid they'd take over more than they had plans for, as that's what they're renowned for and I was concerned that the existing supermarket and small shops would suffer. However, since Tesco pulled out, Nisa has closed without the help of Tesco, leaving us little choice of where to shop. The Coop has allegedly imposed sales restrictions on Boyes in order to keep the monopoly of food sales here, which is totally unfair in an open market but there's little we can do about it if they own the property Boyes is moving into.

We are desperately short of a decently priced supermarket. The people of Warsop have spoken and the Parish Council are our voice. We want people to be able to shop here. A Netto would be more likely to bring people into Warsop to shop as there isn't another Netto locally, so other local shops are likely to see an increase in business. It makes sense.

The old Bingo hall is good for nothing. I didn't want to see it closed down but the Tesco plans made that happen. I can't see anyone wanting to utilise the building or tidy it up and in my opinion it's an eyesore that shouldn't be preserved. The land where Eastwoods used to be is clear, thanks to the Tesco plans, but it is still an eyesore and it needs building on. I'm not sure about traffic along Burns Lane, so that still remains a question for me but that is a compromise we may have to make in order to sort out some of our more pressing problems. We need a supermarket and we need to clean up the Eastwoods site.

Netto sounds like a good plan to me. Hopefully Boyes won't affect Spencers but with a Boyes and a Netto, we could be a thriving Market town again.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mikeC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 pm

I second everything you've said there, Caz.

As an amateur architectural historian, my opinion is that the cinema is a typical example of its kind; nothing special, not the best example by any means, and not worthy of preservation unless it could be achieved by retaining the interior which I understand still survives in reasonable condition; I am not in favour of pulling down old buildings, but I cannot see a market for a nostalgic cinema, so it would be better for the site to be redeveloped into something of use that will enhance the town and its facilities, rather than hanging on to a redundant building for which no-one has a use.
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Can anyone remember the other cinema that existed on High Street and was turned into a furniture store, obviously that came to a different end with it catching fire and being demolished but just look at how the High Street has been improved for the better with it no longer being there.

Correct if I m wrong but on the former cinema site we have the new stone built Post Office and part of the Sycamores Care Home is built on the former site

The bingo hall i believe has been empty for over 3 years and no one has shown any interest in it

All Tesco were going to do was demolish the bingo hall but keep the frontage which would need to be maintained.....personally i think it needs to all be demolished

We need to preserve the historic side of Warsop but we also need to breathe new life into the town centre as well

As the saying goes you can not make an omelette without breaking a few eggs
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Yes, the old cinema site on High Street is now the post office. Originally it was bought and made into a disco for teenagers by two teachers from Meden, Pete Skinner and Alan Bellamy. Alan Bellamy then bought it out and turned it into a furniture and clothing store, which is what it was when it burned down in the early 70's.

I don't see any point keeping the façade of the old bingo building. I'm not against a mix of architecture but it does stick out like a sore thumb next to the stone cottages and in my view adds no architectural value to that part of Warsop. It would be better knocked down altogether to make room for a new building. It's across the road from the Health Centre and River View flats, so it won't be out of keeping with a more modern style and would give a better impression to passing trade along the A60 who might venture in to shop.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 am

the only neto's i can find localy are in doncaster and sheffield . but before it's bult
Last edited by focus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:33 am

Westmorland wrote:
There will be 72 car parking paces and it will be landscaped to protect nearby cottages at the entrance on Burns Lane

can anyone know why we can not use the old nisa car park. it's been closed sence march
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:42 am

Caz wrote: Hopefully Boyes won't affect Spencers but with a Boyes and a Netto, we could be a thriving Market town again.

boyes all so sell thing like crips sweets and other popler goods . the was the why the coop tryed to stop them opening. something to do with a sub let
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 am

Westmorland wrote:Can anyone remember the other cinema that existed on High Street and was turned into a furniture store, obviously that came to a different end with it catching fire and being demolished but just look at how the High Street has been improved for the better with it no longer being there.

Correct if I m wrong but on the former cinema site we have the new stone built Post Office and part of the Sycamores Care Home is built on the former site

The bingo hall i believe has been empty for over 3 years and no one has shown any interest in it

All Tesco were going to do was demolish the bingo hall but keep the frontage which would need to be maintained.....personally i think it needs to all be demolished

We need to preserve the historic side of Warsop but we also need to breathe new life into the town centre as well

As the saying goes you can not make an omelette without breaking a few eggs
it use to be top cat and went to shirebrook .alan belemany who owned it then opened a snooker hall . where shore start is now . that closed when scroges wherehouse burnt down
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:03 am

the doors on the old bingo hall are of histrionic interest and you may have problums demolising it. when i did heighbourhood plan last year . we thort it will make a good community center for the warsop area . but no one knows who owns it
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:19 am

focus wrote:the only neto's i can find localy are in doncaster and sheffield . but before it's bult
:oops: this post should read the only netro's i can find localy are in doncaster and sheffield. but a year before it's bult semes a long time to weit. but when it does open it should do well around hear
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mikeC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:49 am

focus wrote:the doors on the old bingo hall are of histrionic interest and you may have problums demolising it. when i did heighbourhood plan last year . we thort it will make a good community center for the warsop area . but no one knows who owns it

According to the old Tesco thread, the old cinema property is, or was, owned by Eastwoods.
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 pm

focus wrote:the doors on the old bingo hall are of histrionic interest and you may have problums demolising it. when i did heighbourhood plan last year . we thort it will make a good community center for the warsop area . but no one knows who owns it

I understand it's only the façade that has the preservation order, as Tesco planned to knock the building down and just preserve the front, which I thought was a bit daft because it's an ugly and dirty looking front. For the life of me,I can't imagine what the building would be useful for as it would need a heck of a lot of money spending on it and its upkeep would be costly.

It needs knocking down so the land can be utilised with the rest of the Eastwood site. I think Netto might be more willing to build if they have a clean slate with fewer restrictions.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:53 pm

focus wrote:
focus wrote:the only neto's i can find localy are in doncaster and sheffield . but before it's bult
:oops: this post should read the only netro's i can find localy are in doncaster and sheffield. but a year before it's bult semes a long time to weit. but when it does open it should do well around hear
A year isn't a long time when they've got to get plans drawn and passed, then build the store.

You can read about Netto on Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netto_UK. They don't have many stores as Netto UK were bought out by ASDA in 2010 and re-branded, then the Danish supermarket chain formed a joint venture with Sainsburys last year and are now expanding to increase their stores in the UK. Their website is a bit basic but they do advertise their weekly offers - https://www.netto.co.uk/stores -

I personally think a Netto will be far better for Warsop because people will come here to shop at a discount supermarket, whereas Tesco's are everywhere. Also, Netto should create more jobs for local people as they won't bring in staff from existing stores, like Tesco had planned.

I just hope they don't put too many restrictions on the parking as it would be nice if people could have a look around the other shops in Warsop while they're here. It would be no hardship to walk from Netto to Boyes, then up the High Street to browse and shop and maybe the market will even expand.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:22 pm

does anyone know if the two borded up cottages a cross from the heath center next to the old bingo hall are to be knocked down when they billed the new netto
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter