Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Moving to Market Warsop

Whether your looking to advertise your property, or perhaps looking for your new home. Discuss property and housing within Warsop and the surrounding area.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Moving to Market Warsop

Postby emjh86 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi.

Myself and my partner are looking to buy one of the new Bellway homes in Market Warsop. We are not from the area and wondered what the area was like (crime, pubs, things to do, friendly, a good place to raise a family?). When we came to have a look around, everyone we met seemed friendly.

Also, the housing development is very close to the river and I am concerned about flooding. Is this area likely to be flooded?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Emma :) .
emjh86
Lite Registered User

Re: Moving to Market Warsop

Postby lisakell » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Emma
I grew up in Warsop but moved away at 18 and only came back this year ( now in my 30's)so I hope I'm unbiased. Warsop is a decent place - it has its share of problems but having lived in different parts of the UK and in other parts of the Mansfield area I would say it has fewer problems than many other places. I think this is because Warsop does still have a community feel to it - we have shops that have been here forever, a nice place to walk and play in the Carrs and a population that have lived locally for a long time. I came back when I discovered I was pregnant because I knew that I had a great childhood here and, although times have changed, I would still feel comfortable allowing children some freedom here. I don't really go to pubs but The Plough does nice food and is friendly, there's always something on at the Legion - tribute acts etc. and we have more than our share of takeaways. In all honesty its not the most exciting place to live - but its nice, with largely decent people - I'm glad to be back!
lisakell
Lite Registered User

Postby emjh86 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:12 pm

That's really helpful, thank you. Sounds more and more like we'll be moving there! :-) Do you know much about flooding in the area? I'm a little concerned about the river being so close.
emjh86
Lite Registered User

Postby lisakell » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 pm

I've never experienced any flooding from the Meden but as I said I was living away for quite a long time so I couldn't guarantee it. If you ask in the Warsop chatter bit it gets a lot more traffic than this section so may get a few more responses. Which estate is it that you're looking at?
lisakell
Lite Registered User

Postby lisakell » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Just looked up the development - I never heard of any flooding down that way when it was the old estate.
lisakell
Lite Registered User

Postby emjh86 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh brilliant! You've been really helpful, thanks!
emjh86
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi emjh86
The Belway estate area is not known for flooding, the river as quite an high banking in that area, so it would need a lot of water to flood.
I have lived here all my life and never known it before.
The only area that i know is liable is in the mill dam area and then only about 3 houses are vulnerable. (see Warsop Chatter; New Flood Warnings)

Saying that, it cannot be guaranteed as proved in the Newcastle area, this week, it as never flooded in those area's before but look at the mess now. I do think you are pretty safe though.

As for the rest of Warsop, i really do love the town, the troubles are certainly minimal and definitely no worse than anywhere else. I can second The Plough for its food and you are in a very short walking (staggering :D ) distance from the Legion at the weekends. If you are in for livelier night life then Mansfield is only a few minutes away.
I don't know were you are coming from but our area is also excellent for being close to the countryside and as many excellent dog walking areas.

Although this is only a personal opinion, I think that the older houses are better built and certainly have more land to them if you have children and can also be obtained for a fraction of the price, although some may need a little work.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby emjh86 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks for that. It's good to know there are some good pubs around and no flooding. I like the sound of the countryside! Can you suggest some streets that are good that have older homes with bigger gardens so that I can have a look please?
emjh86
Lite Registered User

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 pm

they are building some new houses at Spion Kop half a mile out of Warsop
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am

whitevanman wrote:Although this is only a personal opinion, I think that the older houses are better built and certainly have more land to them if you have children and can also be obtained for a fraction of the price, although some may need a little work.

BorisTechMark2 wrote:they are building some new houses at Spion Kop half a mile out of Warsop

I think Whitey was talking about something more like this Boris.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37271186.html
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Property & Housing