Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Do ya live in Wassup?

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Do ya live in Wassup?

Postby thisisalt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My dad always had the saying "Do ya live in Wassup?" whenever one of us left the door open.
I was led to believe that, in the past, it was common for the people of Warsop to leave their front doors open.
is there any truth in this?

My great granddad Alfred Taylor lived in Warsop on Manvers Street from about 1918 until his death in 1924. Before then he lived in Cuckney and worked for the Duke of Portland.
My grandparents lived on Albert Street for a short while after their marriage in 1919. My granddad's name was Alfred Benjamin Taylor and his wife was Elizabeth Ellen - nee Ainscough. Her family moved from the Wigan area of Lancashire to work in the mines around the turn of the 19th C. I would like to hear from any Ainscoughs in the area who could be related.

regds,

Alan Taylor
thisisalt
Lite Registered User

Re: Do ya live in Wassup?

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Alan. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, 'Do you come from Warsop', is still something we say when someone leaves a door open. I've always been led to believe that it's because the people of Warsop are so friendly they have their doors open to anyone.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:59 am

Caz wrote:
Yes, 'Do you come from Warsop', is still something we say when someone leaves a door open. I've always been led to believe that it's because the people of Warsop are so friendly they have their doors open to anyone.

i agree there caz . why it does not happen in today's world . in today's world if you did that you would have nothing left now , :cry:
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 pm

I remember that, but sometimes wondered if it also related to the half and half (stable?) doors which lots of houses had in those days, with the top halves being left open all day.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Digger, nice to see you posting again.

I see what you mean about the half and half doors, but as you say, lots of people had those, not just people living in Warsop. Yet the saying about leaving doors open only relates to Warsop. On more than one occasion, when I've said I'm from Warsop, the reply has been something like, 'oh is that where they leave their doors open?'. Or, 'oh, do you leave your door open?'. So it's quite a well known saying.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 pm

i can remember both my mum and dad saying that. but when it started it must have come from sometime around the 1920s. most people who live in the worsop area now are descendants of people who came here when shirebrook thorsby warsop and wellbeck collierys was sunk. back in them days people was more trustfull with each other then what they are now
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Gordon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:40 pm

The saying seems to have spread beyond the locality. I remember once, as a child (must have been all of five minutes ago) leaving the lounge door open in the hotel in Margate where we were on holiday, and one of the other guests asked that very question, to which I replied: "Well, actually yes!"
Gordon
Lite Registered User

Postby Little Ol' Me » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:44 pm

I accidentally left my back patio doors open all thru the night on Friday night, and with a light on. Came down in the morning to everything exactly where I left it.

"things ain't what they used to be" scaremongering alive and well, I see.
"Don't eat the jelly! Don't eat the jelly! I made it with frog wee. It'll turn your teeth green... Like mini apples."
Little Ol' Me
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories