Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Black Panther Burglar.

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Black Panther Burglar.

Postby Bellman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm

I think all older members will be aware of Donald Neilsons crimes including post office robberies where he killed. He also kidnapped and murdered Lesley Whittle. Neilson although from Bradford seemed to commit a lot of crimes in the Notts area, perhaps he thought this local area was an easy touch? I am researching other property crimes he commited in this area where he drilled casement windows to gain entry or other methods. He is known to have entered many properties whilst the owners slept in the early hours betwen 1967-1975. Were you a victim or know someone who was, perhaps you did not know it was Neilson at the time? Thanks in advance for any info.
Bellman
Lite Registered User

Re: Black Panther Burglar.

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Not related as such, in the weeks before his arrest in Rainworth there were reported sightings of a man sleeping rough in the "Lings" area of the forest up past Burns Farm. A person and a camp was spotted by a few people and it all seemed to disappear after his arrest, it is rumoured that it was he who was sleeping up there.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Bellman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Sounds a possibility although he was being hunted nationwide at that time. I expect he would have moved quickly if he was spotted by anyone. Thanks for your reply.
Bellman
Lite Registered User

Postby Bellman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Bellman wrote:I think all older members will be aware of Donald Neilsons crimes including post office robberies where he killed. He also kidnapped and murdered Lesley Whittle. Neilson although from Bradford seemed to commit a lot of crimes in the Notts area, perhaps he thought this local area was an easy touch? I am researching other property crimes he commited in this area where he drilled casement windows to gain entry or other methods. He is known to have entered many properties whilst the owners slept in the early hours betwen 1967-1975. Were you a victim or know someone who was, perhaps you did not know it was Neilson at the time? Thanks in advance for any info.

It seems Neilson was first spotted on Leeming lane close to Stainforth street by the two local police officers Tony White and Stuart Mackenzie who were sat in their patrol car. This was in December 1975, a couple of weeks before that he broke in around 18 houses in the local area. Prior to these events he was also known to have broken into local post offices including one at Berry hill.
Bellman
Lite Registered User

Postby Gordon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 pm

It was through the Black Panther that I earned five minutes of fame. No, I had nothing to do with his arrest in Rainworth outside what was then the Junction Chippy, but next day the national press photographers were there to get the pictures they needed for their features on the heroic capture. The guy from the Daily Mirror clicked his shutter just as I was emerging from the shop with my bag of chips or whatever I'd bought, and there I was, in all my greedy glory, on the front page next morning. I think I must have overpriced my autographs though, no-one ever asked for one!
Gordon
Lite Registered User

Postby Bellman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks for that Gordon great memories. Its surprising to me that no one remembers the many houses being burgled in the area at that time by the drilling method that was used. Apparantly Neilson even broke in a policemans house during this spree, he even stole his regulation white traffic gloves, they were on Neilsons person when arrested. Even worse, Neilson carried a shotgun during these house burglaries commited while people or familys slept upstairs.
Bellman
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories