Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Co-op Milk Round.1963-1970

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Co-op Milk Round.1963-1970

Postby dalenorris » Sat May 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Lots of memories of the guys on the Co-op milk, Louis Hickton, Ronnie Walker, Terry Broughton, Alan Bowers, Derek Knowles, Mick Sentance, Mick Talbot. Are they still around. Any stories ?

Dale Norris
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Facebook: dalenorris@telkomsa.net

Re: Co-op Milk Round.1963-1970

Postby whipster2210 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi,

If you are referring to Mick Talbot who used to live in Warsop on Robin Hood Avenue then yes he is alive and well.

Mick is my uncle, by way of my dad's sister's husband.
He and his wife Jane moved to Lincoln over 10 years ago when Mick retired and Jane got a new job that way.

They have 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren and Mick is a keen Mansfield fan and went to Wembley with us from the Legion last year.

Hope that helps.
whipster2210
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Whipster,
Thanks for the reply, and nice to here Mick and Jane are ok. I knew Jane, as a kid, as I come from Church Warsop, where the Winfields lived on Sycamore Street. I got to know Mick, when I got work on the Coop. We both had a love of motorbikes, indeed Mick, and his Royal Enfield Crusader, was well known on Sherwood Street. We use to go out a lot, to Edwinstowe,Royal Oak, we had a friend there, Bill Hurt, also a biker. I can also remember, and still tell the story...... We also went to the Badger, Shirebrook. This night, we had a good night, and this other guy from Warsop, had just got a brand new Honda, press button start. Mick told this guy, basically, it was Japanese crap. Anyway, it ended up with a 'dice', back to Warsop, me riding pillion on Micks, pride and joy. We got to Rock Houses, at the Vale. And when we turned the corner, the long strait into Church warsop, this bloody Honda, just whistled by, and left us standing. Dont think Mick ever got over that. Got lots of stories from the Milk Round. If you get the chance, please tell them I was asking about them, and tell him this story. If they are computer savvy, my email is dalenorris@telkomsa.net and Im on Facebook, just search the email address, should find me ok. Live in Cape Town, which is a long way from my home village of Warsop.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby whipster2210 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Dale,

Have just spoken to my uncle and he will get in touch this week.
As I was reading your story to him, he was filling in the blanks.

Best Wishes.
whipster2210
Lite Registered User

Postby JohnKearney(Taff) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi
Louis Hickton was my uncle for a few years in the 50's he was then marrried to my Aunty Jean who came from Shirebrook as well as being a milkman he used to keep a small holding with pigs on Sandy Lane Warsop, he passed away some years ago.Mick Sentance came to work at Warsop Rubber Co for a few years,he was a driver there, Mick was the Best he was my instucter while learning my HGV i will never forget the number plate REN 850 he was great fun but did not mess about when it came to driving he also learned me on the Tractors and knew quite a lot of farming skills which he got from Bowrings,i think he worked there for some time ! As far as i know he is still knocking around !
JohnKearney(Taff)
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks Taff, for the information. Louis, was never short of a word, can remember that. We had many 'milk round' stories, as I worked with him on the Spion Kop round. The last time I saw him, we bought a truck load of Cauliflowers from him. He said, cut as many as you like, and give me what you feel. We cut thousands of them, and sold them by doorknocking. We both ended up happy. Mick, well a one off. Lovely guy, always loved driving, and can promise you, he could get through gaps, without thinking. Quite frightening at times. He sold me my first car, a hand painted Red Morris Oxford, £50. My first night with it, we went onto the A614, having drove through Clumber Park. It drank all the petrol, and blew up, nearing Ollerton Roundabout. Left it on the verge, and never saw it again. If you see him around, mention the Big Red Car. The other story, involves both of them. On a Sunday lunch, we used to go over to The King of Diamonds in Shirebrook. wont develop why. Anyway, I was the driver, had a MG 1100. Think Alan Bower was with us. Anyway, round Rock Houses, near Warsop Vale, we hit a lake of standing water. To this day, I have never been more frightened. That car just took off, and with all the luck in the world , eventually, came to rest, without killing all of us. Mick always drove after that one. Thanks Dale.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you for the Anonymous comment. Perhaps you can explain, what you mean ?
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:26 am

I only joined this forum, to relate stories, and happenings, from my early years, in Warsop and surrounds. I certainly, didnt do it, so people could create riddles and inferences. Having read the initial reply, (Never attribute), it would seem to me, that the general good people of Warsop, which I still regard myself as, didnt understand a word of your utterances. Please, if you dont have interesting stories or productive legible comments, dont bother.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 am

Before this gets out of hand. Initially, I saw the ''Never attribute'' comment, thinking it was a comment from you, re my storytelling. Having retraced, I can now see, its your motto or mission statement. The little faces, at the time, didnt mean anything to me, in fact i didnt see them. Your next comment, just served to confuse, and obviously got someone else to join in. All I can say, is that most of any stories, I put on here, will be probably 40 years old. I would never preach malice, they are just honest memories, of my life, friends, workmates and upbringing in Warsop. Apologies if I got it all wrong.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Apologies to all, my sole intent was to respond with a memory of part of another post with no intent whatsoever to offend anyone.
I tried to do it with my, sometimes, strange sense of humour and it must have come over the wrong way.

Again, apologies and i have now deleted my posts.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 pm

It's good to read your posts Dale, I am sure they are read with interest and have sparked many a nostalgic conversation.

Not knowing whitey but being used to his posts I reslised it was his humorous side coming out.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Thank you. It was a misunderstanding I am sure. Have got lots of stuff tucked away, and like many, its only when you are retired, that you have the time to tell the stories. My Dad, Ernie Norris, was a master of the one liners, used many times I fear, whereas I am one for storytelling and nostalgia. Thanks again, will post again shortly.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby bigalelofan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 am

dalenorris wrote:Lots of memories of the guys on the Co-op milk, Louis Hickton, Ronnie Walker, Terry Broughton, Alan Bowers, Derek Knowles, Mick Sentance, Mick Talbot. Are they still around. Any stories ?

Dale Norris

hi Dale, I have only just discovered your email address. Joyce Bennett (nee) ex domino square,told me about it. Joyce was telling me about some old photographs. I see Mick Sentence and Terry fairly often. Mick is living on Little John Ave.
He rents some allotment land ( he keeps sheep ) down from Oakfield lane. I am the secretary. Bye for now, Alan Crossan.
bigalelofan
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Alan,
Thank you for the reply. I have been working on a page of Warsop, on Facebook, and Mick (Sooty) kept coming up. I havent personally seen him, since about 1967, when we worked on the Coop milk together. So nice to here he's ok. Terry, I saw, about 6 years ago, just by chance, as I was visiting Derek Burton. Terry lives across the way from him.I'm big into nostalgia, photo's especially, so just working on things, with all the memories I have. Are you related to Colin and Marylyn Crossan just by chance. If your on Facebook, you can find me, with my email address. Best wishes, Dale.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Postby bigalelofan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello again Dale, yes i am Colin's little brother. You mentioned visiting Derek Burton, what a small world. Derek was a childhood and teenage mate of my mate Stan Wood
from Creswell who unfortunately passed away 7 years ago. They bumped in to one another in the Gate Inn where I had met Stan for a pint. Incidentally I used to see your mum in there. Regards, Alan.
bigalelofan
Lite Registered User

Next

Return to Local History & Memories