Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Glow Worms in Warsop

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Glow Worms in Warsop

Postby TrevorPendleton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:02 pm

We are trying to map locations of Nottinghamshire Glow Worm colonies (past and present) that people know of. This may appeal to the older generation, who remember seeing them years ago. We know of several existing colonies in the Sherwood Forest area, but feel sure they must have occurred at some Warsop sites. Chances are, some colonies may have died out for various reasons, but former sites will help in us in this work tremendously. Any help much appreciated.

Trevor and Dilys
www.eakringbirds.com
TrevorPendleton
Lite Registered User

Re: Glow Worms in Warsop

Postby whitevanman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry Trevor, i can't help you with any sightings, but,

I wish I was a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum.
'Cos how can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Triver. Nice to see you've signed up for the forum! I've added your listing to the business directory.

I don't think I've ever seen a glow worm either, but oddly enough I've just had a Glow Worm central heating boiler replaced today! :D

Can you tell me what the beetle is that features on your website? It looks like a lilly beetle and I've got lots of those!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby TrevorPendleton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Its the Hazel Pot Beetle Caz. Sherwood Forest is the only known site for it in the UK and its one of the insects that Dilys and myself are nationally known for. The Lily beetle is on the website and that beetle is nationally known, for all the wrong reasons.

Trevor and Dilys
TrevorPendleton
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks Trevor and Dilys!

I know very little about beetles unless they become a garden pest, which is why I know of the lilly beetle and as it isn't native to Britain it has no known natural predators. I've got them in my garden since I planted lilly's from pots a couple of years ago and they've attacked all my original stock of lilly's so I have to go round regularly looking for them and their orangey coloured eggs on the underside of lilly leaves.

My lilly's are only just coming through so they're lacking foliage, but the beetles have also taken up residence on my Arums, which are in leaf all winter so I'm providing the blighters with all year round food, shelter and breeding ground. I would think they'd be of concern to you too as a possible pest of the wild cuckoo pint, which is of the Arum species! Blooming things! Any idea what might get rid of them? Not chemical though as I'm an organic gardener. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby TrevorPendleton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Some concrete and a large foot should do the trick!

Funnily enough, we have no records of Lily Beetle away from gardens.
TrevorPendleton
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:19 am

The RHS reports on the Lilly Beetle say it's fairly new to Britain and has rapidly spread further North over the past couple of decades feeding on lilies and fritillaries but as I've said, they're also on my Arums and the RHS don't mention those. They're more likely to have spread through ready potted plants as the beetles pupate in the compost and I believe this is how I introduced them to my garden. :roll:

As they've spread so rapidly over the past decade, I would be very surprised if it's not long before they do start to colonise in the wild, which would be a concern if they're devouring Lilies, Arums and Fritillaries and have no natural preditors.

Sorry, I've gone off topic. I'd love to see glow worms and I hope we do get some reports of them. :)
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Local History & Memories