Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Clayton family research

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Clayton family research

Postby dollshouse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I have just discovered that my grandfather was born in Marriott's Yard in Warsop in 1905. Does anyone have any information as to the wherabouts of this place, or indeed any information on George,Annie or William Clayton. As far as i know, the family moved to forest barn cottages in mansfield in 1911, moving once again to Arnold sometime after this. Would be grateful for any info at all. :)
dollshouse
Lite Registered User

Re: Clayton family research

Postby hopalong » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:34 pm

The following is on Our Mansfield and area website; link below. Good luck. :lol:

'Warsop
Thirty seven saints met in 1851 at a house in Marriott’s Yard, Butt Lane (now Sherwood Street ) but no other records have been located referring to this congregation except the following entry taken from the 1896 Warsop Almanac entitled:
‘ The Late Mormon Society’
The Mormons of Mansfield Woodhouse made a strenuous attempt to found a Warsop Mormon Society in 1848 but although the services were continued for about 7 years in a house in Marriotts yard, Butt Lane the principles of the ‘faithful’ could not take root in Warsop soil.'

http://www.ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk/index.aspx
hopalong
Lite Registered User

Postby dollshouse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks for replying- how interesting re the Mormons meeting there! I'll look at the Butt lane area of Warsop to see if any photos exist.
dollshouse
Lite Registered User

Postby Garth Throstle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 am

A Wm. Clayton is listed as a shoemaker in Warsop in White's 1832 Directory.

Richard J Kings book based on Warsop Parish Registers published in 1184 has an entry for Clayton as follows:

1679. — Cleaton, Clayton.
At the beginning of last century, Francis Clayton was a yeoman of Warsop. His name appears also in the old terrier of 1722 as renting seventy-two acres of land, for which he paid £18 16b, a year. Ann Clayton, his grand-daughter, was married in 1775 to the Bev. John Browne, Curate of Warsop. A large flat stone to her memory and to that of her husband, who was curate for thirty-two years, may be seen in the churchyard near the South wall of the church. William Clayton, a shoemaker, was a freeman of the old borough of Retford, and is known to have obtained for his two votes sometimes as much as twenty guineas apiece. In 1827, when a Government enquiry was made into the political corruption of that borough, the said William Clayton was cited to give evidence before the House of Commons.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby dollshouse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks for this ,Garth. Looks like we have a 'black sheep' in the family!! This is fascinating-I'm off to the library to see if I can find out more. Interesting spelling of Cleaton too! Will post on the forum any thing which may be of interest to other geneologists!
dollshouse
Lite Registered User

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Have you tried the church records
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby dollshouse » Tue May 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm hoping to get over to Warsop next month - so I'll try to get to check the church records then. Thanks for your help. Making slow progress with the Claytons
at the moment. unfortunately the later BMDs don't all give residence or fathers names..........AAAAAArrrggh.
dollshouse
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories