Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Market Charter

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Market Charter

Postby moanersRus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Warsop Person wrote:I recalled this conversation some months ago when discussing the taxation MDC were proposing to apply to the stalls at the Christmas Market, although I don't know if they ever went through with it.

I have just noticed in the thread discussing the jubilee celebrations that they were trying to enforce it on the stalls at this event too and I have heard a router that they are trying to apply the charge to the stalls at the carnival.

Did the PC ever look into this or have they just let MDC get on with controlling and taxing everything that Warsop tries to put on?
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:52 pm

moanersRus wrote:
Warsop Person wrote:I recalled this conversation some months ago when discussing the taxation MDC were proposing to apply to the stalls at the Christmas Market, although I don't know if they ever went through with it.

I have just noticed in the thread discussing the jubilee celebrations that they were trying to enforce it on the stalls at this event too and I have heard a router that they are trying to apply the charge to the stalls at the carnival.

Did the PC ever look into this or have they just let MDC get on with controlling and taxing everything that Warsop tries to put on?

they didi apply to the xmas market and someone came around checking the stalls from MDC

So I guess this has not been challenged by the PC or anyone and it has been accepted as the norm now, another spanner in the works for anything Warsop tries to do!

I must admit I thought the PC would have challenged MDC on it.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:57 pm

We have and do, they relented for charitable stalls but not for commercial
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:07 pm

On what basis do they have a legal right to do this? I thought Warsop had a Market charter too?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Warsop Market Charters were brought up again at the Christmas Market meeting last week and MDC agreed to persue it further. Details of some of the charters were found at the Nottingham Archives Office and MDC validated them and agreed we don't need to pay trading licences to them. We are exercising our rights to hold a fair/market under our own charter at this year's Christmas Market on 6th December. :D

I would like to thank Kate Ansty and Sam Yates of the licensing department at MDC, for persuing this further and supporting us in our quest to exercise our own market charters.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Andrew Daykin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Do did anyone get charged a fee ( illegal) in the past ?
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Caz wrote:Warsop Market Charters were brought up again at the Christmas Market meeting last week and MDC agreed to persue it further. Details of some of the charters were found at the Nottingham Archives Office and MDC validated them and agreed we don't need to pay trading licences to them. We are exercising our rights to hold a fair/market under our own charter at this year's Christmas Market on 6th December. :D

I would like to thank Kate Ansty and Sam Yates of the licensing department at MDC, for persuing this further and supporting us in our quest to exercise our own market charters.

Well done Caz, you have succeeded where all of our elected members (both District and Parish) have failed over the last few years.

As I have stated before, through personal expieriencesin with the Swimming Pool, MDC are prepared to work with Warsop if we sit down and talk to them. This is yet more proof thatbthrowing hot air about and doing nothing seldom resolves issues that are resolvable.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Does that mean you can claim money back that was paid in previous years......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 am

Would that stand for the carnival and ANYTHING else similar in the future then?
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Nobody was charged last year because nobody wanted to pay it so they just didn't bother with a stall. Last year it was new legislation that nobody fully understood and MDC were sympathetic to our cause, but the officers couldn't do anything about it as we just didn't have time to sort it out, so we just had to go with what we had under the circumstances and agree to talk it over.

This will apply to the carnival as well. MDC have acknowledged our charter and they do now have it on record. As I said, they've been very helpful and quick to act on it this year. Without their support, we wouldn't have been having a Christmas Market, so I am grateful to MDC. As WP says, you only have to talk to the right people and tell them your side of the story to get things sorted out. Shouting and complaining about things does no good without explanations.

As far as I'm concerned now, this matter has been resolved and I can get on with organising community events. The lessons I've learnt are: speak to the right people to resolve issues and challenge decisions because things can be achieved if you don't take a defeatest attitude.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Previous

Return to Local History & Memories