Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Now and Then

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Now and Then

Postby whitevanman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm

I came across an old postcard of Warsop, the date posted was 1905, so the actual photo would be slightly earlier.
I've tried to take another photo from about the same spot. Most of the old camera's were square format, so the postcard would be heavily cropped, so the new perspective may be slightly different.

Image Image

I can remember some time ago (can't find the thread) there was a discussion as to the name of the yard that was on the site of the now St Theresas church, i think if you look on the right side of the photo this might now be answered.

Edited
sorry, got my left and right mixed up :roll:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Re: Now and Then

Postby tightwadswife » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 am

Was it known as 'Bulldog Square'?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 am

The name plaque on the right, which would have been the houses on the church site, say's Hodsons Yard.
I can remember the buildings but could never recall the name, even now, Hodsons Yard does not ring a bell.

There is also a part name plaque on the left which i can never recall seeing, although i do remember the buildings, these were only demolished to make way for the "new" road.
****mb's Yard..........any idea's?
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby tightwadswife » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Lambs?...
Definitely Orchard Yard on the Church site.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:22 pm

tightwadswife wrote:Lambs?...
Definitely Orchard Yard on the Church site.

Lambs yard is one i thought off as well, but there was also an old Warsop family called Coombs and with most of the other yards named after families this could also be a possibility.

Orchard Yard.... that's the one i was trying to think of, and i think you are right.
I wonder if the Hodson's Yard was at the side of it, or it could even have been renamed later in the century.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

We discussed Orchard Yard on Harry Bletcher's thread. http://forum.warsopweb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1485

When did the building on the left get demolished? I seem to remember that in the distant past.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Caz wrote:When did the building on the left get demolished? I seem to remember that in the distant past.

They were still there right upto the new road being made around 1972ish.
The building with the steps was occupied by a woman who always wore a long black dress and a black hat. As kids she frightened us all to death and was commonly known as "the witch".
The gate in the wall where the 2 people are standing was known as Sam(?) Hawkins Farm, but this was not strictly true as although he lived there he was only the manager and not the actual owner. His daughter was Sylvia who had Gundells sweet shop and then with her husband Bob ran Middletons News for many years.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 am

In the not so distant past then. No wonder I remember it. I remember Mary Gundles sweet shop very well, she used to stay open on a Sunday!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Local History & Memories