Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Garth Throstle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Next week archeologists are surveying around the Hanger Hill area of Birklands. If you are interested in what they are doing and anything that they have discovered there are 2 open days on Thursday 28th and Saturday 30th October. You need to book by phoning 07753 625571. However, if you happen to be walking past on those days somebody should be able to brief you on what is going on. The idea behind the survey is to discover more about a possible Viking age assembly site.

More info on http://www.thynghowe.org.uk/News.html
and http://www.edwinstowe.co.uk/documents/thynghowe.htm

POSTPONED!
Last edited by Garth Throstle on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Garth Throstle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Due to conditions on the hill the surveying has been postponed until early 2011
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Warsop Person » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry for appearing a bit thick, but where exactly is this hill thing that is being dug up?

Normally digs occur before building something, are they planning to build on it because it sounds fairly remote?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby mr50p » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 am

Warsop Person wrote:Sorry for appearing a bit thick, but where exactly is this hill thing that is being dug up?

Normally digs occur before building something, are they planning to build on it because it sounds fairly remote?

There is no building the land is in the middle of the old Birklands plantation Central Sherwood Forest between Jerusalem's well and Robin Hoods larder, Just to the west of the Dukes drive and north of center tree drive.
If you went to The Meden school in the early 70's you would have gone close to the well on the long route if you went the way we went 8)
I wish I could remember what IT was
User avatar
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Forest Town

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Warsop Person » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am

mr50p wrote:
Warsop Person wrote:Sorry for appearing a bit thick, but where exactly is this hill thing that is being dug up?

Normally digs occur before building something, are they planning to build on it because it sounds fairly remote?

There is no building the land is in the middle of the old Birklands plantation Central Sherwood Forest between Jerusalem's well and Robin Hoods larder, Just to the west of the Dukes drive and north of center tree drive.
If you went to The Meden school in the early 70's you would have gone close to the well on the long route if you went the way we went 8)


I was at Meden in the 90's and we only went up by the farm onto Uppercross Lane and back down Sandy Lane. I am getting the vibe that it is somewhere close to the white gates at Gleadthorpe, affraid none of what you have metioned means anything to me. I always thought Birklands was a School :? .
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby mr50p » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

8) well you are not far off The whitegates are what the Dukes drive is called becouse they had lots of white gates at all the road crossings center tree drive is the forest road that runs from the top of Warsop to Edwinstowe and Budby with the Firetower and centertree on it where they meet there is an old worldwar 2 fire watertank on the oposite side of the whitegates is the site of Robin Hoods Larder :lol: It's worth a walk in the woods there is a lot to see. 8)
Most people dont know we have a Castle near to here to less than five miles from warsop through the woods. :!: that still stands and lived in :wink:
I wish I could remember what IT was
User avatar
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Forest Town

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Garth Throstle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Warsop Person wrote:Sorry for appearing a bit thick, but where exactly is this hill thing that is being dug up?

Normally digs occur before building something, are they planning to build on it because it sounds fairly remote?


As the site is at least a mile away from any road there is no danger of development but due to the proposed changes to the Forestry Commission there is a risk to the many historical features in our part of the Forest. Many features have survived through many centuries due to the management of the royal hunting Forest and then the Duke's estates. In recent years the Forestry Commission has done a good job in protecting sensitive sites. If the management passes to profit driven companies all of this could be lost. This makes the current investigations crucial to getting the site protected by changing its status from a National Monument to a Scheduled Monument.

There are no plans to dig on the hill - the proposed surveying should involve a topographical survey which will create a 3D image of the landscape and a magnetometry survey which will locate underground features. The Friends of Thynghowe are attempting to get funding for a LIDAR survey which involves laser imaging from an aircraft. Viking age assembly sites tend to leave few objects in the ground as they were only used for meetings.

If you want to find out more about the historical features in this part of the Forest the waymarked Thynghowe Trail is described onhttp://www.thynghowe.org.uk/ThTrail.html.
Other features in the Forest are on this map http://www.thynghowe.org.uk/ResBirkMap.html
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby whitevanman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm

mr50p wrote:8) Most people dont know we have a Castle near to here to less than five miles from warsop through the woods. :!: that still stands and lived in :wink:



Do you mean this one

Image
User avatar
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby mr50p » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 pm

lol yes :shock: :lol:
I wish I could remember what IT was
User avatar
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Forest Town

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

Where is that then?
Image
User avatar
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Warsop

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 am

Nervermind .. found it .... Budby castle ... and yes... I had no idea it was there!
Image
User avatar
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Warsop

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:05 am

Apparently it was built to house the boat crews that ran boats on Thoresby lake for Earl Manvers... it was originally named Castle William after the captain of the boat crews in the 1700s
Image
User avatar
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Warsop

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Garth Throstle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Garth Throstle wrote:Next week archeologists are surveying around the Hanger Hill area of Birklands. If you are interested in what they are doing and anything that they have discovered there are 2 open days on Thursday 28th and Saturday 30th October. You need to book by phoning 07753 625571. However, if you happen to be walking past on those days somebody should be able to brief you on what is going on. The idea behind the survey is to discover more about a possible Viking age assembly site.

More info on http://www.thynghowe.org.uk/News.html
and http://www.edwinstowe.co.uk/documents/thynghowe.htm

POSTPONED!


RESCHEDULED!

The surveying has been rescheduled to January. The problem in October was bracken that had not died down enough to give lines of sight. Hopefully the hill won't be covered by a layer of snow this time!

The open days will be on Thursday 20th and Saturday 22nd January - each day there will be 2 tours starting at 9:30 and 1:30, each lasting about an hour and a half. You need to book as before.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby Garth Throstle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:28 pm

The surveying is taking place this week with perfect conditions. If you want to find out what was going on, there will be tours of the site on this Saturday (22nd January). Phone 07753 625571 to book a place - cars will be driving in from Warsop Windmill forest barrier in convoy at arranged times. If you walk in through the forest there will be people around Hanger Hill all morning if you just want a chat.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Archaeological surveying in Birklands

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 pm

We just returned from this tour and it was absolutely fascinating. The old saying about not being able to see the wood for the trees was certainly true in my case. I've walked the forest for years, but never realised what was right on my doorstep!
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 pm
Location: Welbeck Colliery Village

Next

Return to Local History & Memories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest