Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Monkey Island

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Monkey Island

Postby Happy Humphrey » Mon May 10, 2010 8:34 pm

In one of the articles on this site, there is mention of "Monkey Island";

Bait consisted of garden worms, kept in a linen bag with some moss added, pearl barley (stewed) and caddis grubs. The latter were collected from flat stones in the river Meden between Stone Bridge and Monkey Island.

Where is this exotic-sounding place to be found, exactly?
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Re: Monkey Island

Postby Caz » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 am

It's odd how time plays with your memory, but I do remember Monkey Island, though I'm not sure where it was. I'm thinking it was the bit of raised dry ground near the Timmies, the part of river we used to swim in at the bottom of the Wood Street allotments. There used to be a skin and bone factory or abbatoir or something down there as well.

The land was all boggy between the river and the paddling pool on the Carrs and it was fenced off with chain link fence, but since they dug out the river to increase the flow, the land has drained and it's now all dry. There used to be a few springs down there as well where you could get water cress, at least that's what my cousin told me it was. Red - ask your mum if she remembers that! :lol:

I think Monkey Island used to be that bit, which is between the footbridge on the Carrs and the footbridge at Carr Lane. I'll stand corrected if anyone knows better.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Happy Humphrey » Tue May 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks: I'll have a look. Perhaps the monkeys will show themselves if I find the right spot!
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Tue May 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Wen I wor a lad, Monkey Island was the bit between the river and the Mill Dam. I doubt that was the original Monkey Island though as I don’t think this was not created until the river was rerouted in the 70's.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue May 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Happy Humphrey wrote:Thanks: I'll have a look. Perhaps the monkeys will show themselves if I find the right spot!
I think the monkeys have all grown up and are now grumpy old men and women! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Calypso Capri » Tue May 11, 2010 11:57 pm

If Monkey Island is the bit between the river and the Mill Dam then yes, the monkeys have all grown up, i'm am old ape. Used to play on there too lol.

CC
I don't post much but i'm still here :)
Calypso Capri
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed May 12, 2010 12:12 am

I didn't think Monkey Island was near the Mill Dam though and that's all changed since my little monkey days, though I do remember there was an island there where the swans used to nest, it's just in a slightly different place.

I thought Monkey Island was near the park on the Carrs, towards Carr Lane park. In those days the footbridge to Carr Lane park wasn't there. The next bridge up river from the Carrs, was Stonebridge. Somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me where Monkey Island was in the sixties. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Wed May 12, 2010 8:40 am

Caz, what do these youngsters know :roll:
According to old TW (Surely Warsop's version of Billy Casper), in the 1950/60s It was indeed the marshy ground you described earlier. A kind of floating bog about 150yds by 60yds on the Church Warsop side of the river, with scattered logs and boulders you could walk on to keep your feet dry. All dried up now of course.
I have to take his word for this as I come from Welbeck where of course we had our own Monkey island. Anyone remember that? A foul inhospitable place also a bog and full of wild garlic and other horrible things. Can't think what the attraction was now.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu May 13, 2010 7:59 am

tightwadswife wrote:Caz, what do these youngsters know :roll:
According to old TW (Surely Warsop's version of Billy Casper), in the 1950/60s It was indeed the marshy ground you described earlier. A kind of floating bog about 150yds by 60yds on the Church Warsop side of the river, with scattered logs and boulders you could walk on to keep your feet dry. All dried up now of course.
I have to take his word for this as I come from Welbeck where of course we had our own Monkey island. Anyone remember that? A foul inhospitable place also a bog and full of wild garlic and other horrible things. Can't think what the attraction was now.

The attraction was probably the fact that your parents told you to keep away from such a horrible place!!
Devilment, TWW, pure devilment!!!
We never listened to our parents. What would they know about anything, they were "Old People" who knew nothing!!
As kids, we used to get covered in mud trying to get through the boggy area from the Carrs to Carr Lane (I think there was a fallen tree across the river)
We also used to come home covered in the grey sludge from the pit tip, and no matter how many times our parents told us to keep off the tip because it was dangerous, we never listened.
So maybe the kids of today aren't all that much different to what we were!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Wizard - Reading your post I was thinking exactly what you said at the end - today's kids are really no different to how we were as kids. We didn't always listen to our parents and they didn't always know where we were. Now we're the 'Old People' who know nowt and maybe we really have grown into grumpy old men and women! Once in a while, it does us good to remember what we were like as kids - gives us a bit of a reality check!

We certainly did get all muddy walking from the park to the river and there were clumps of very spikey reeds growing there as well. No matter how often the repaired the chain link fencing, there always seemed to be a gap in it that we could climb through! :lol:

We had fun swimming in the Timmies, as we called it. It was much deeper than the paddling pool so you could actually swim in it and there was an overhanging tree that we could swing from and drop into the river. When the mills at Pleasely flushed their dye tanks, the river water would be coloured and occassionally there'd be a discharge of fat and guts from a gully leading from the skin and bone place. And we used to swim in it - and we survived!!! :shock:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Caz wrote:Wizard - Reading your post I was thinking exactly what you said at the end - today's kids are really no different to how we were as kids. We didn't always listen to our parents and they didn't always know where we were. Now we're the 'Old People' who know nowt and maybe we really have grown into grumpy old men and women! Once in a while, it does us good to remember what we were like as kids - gives us a bit of a reality check!

We certainly did get all muddy walking from the park to the river and there were clumps of very spikey reeds growing there as well. No matter how often the repaired the chain link fencing, there always seemed to be a gap in it that we could climb through! :lol:

We had fun swimming in the Timmies, as we called it. It was much deeper than the paddling pool so you could actually swim in it and there was an overhanging tree that we could swing from and drop into the river. When the mills at Pleasely flushed their dye tanks, the river water would be coloured and occassionally there'd be a discharge of fat and guts from a gully leading from the skin and bone place. And we used to swim in it - and we survived!!! :shock:

Dear Grumpy Old Caz......
Caz, I bet that there aren't many Warsopians who are now over fifty who didn't drink in the Plough before they were old enough to do so legally.
I was OK, because I was tall for my age and was never questioned,but I know of many people who were asked if they were 18, only to reply,No, I'm nineteen, and where then served with alcohol.
We all did it, just like the young ones of today do.
As the old saying goes.. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone....
I don't think there will be many stones thrown by us old buggers.....
We really need to take a reality check and see just what we did get up to without our parents knowledge.
The question is often asked on these pages.... The parents of today don't really know where their kids are at night, but the question is..... DID OURS ????
The blood and guts you refer to at the bottom of Wood Street were from Crookes Butchers Slaughter house.
I did actually spend some time working there as a lad!
Regarding Monkey Island, we used to get the red chalk from the island. God only knows what the mineral deposits were that it was actually formed from....
How on earth did we survive ????
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Thu May 13, 2010 10:39 pm

You're dead right Wizard. If something was forbidden it just made it more attractive.
When I think of some of the things that I did, I almost (I said almost) feel sorry for my poor parents.
Monkey Island - the Welbeck one - was just one of the forbidden places, in fact anywhere near the river, the pit tip, the main road, the railway line...
Hey, come to think of it, anywhere that wasn't school or Sunday school was off limits. No wonder we rebelled :!: :lol:
How did we survive :?:
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Does anyone have a theory about why monkey island was called Monkey Island?
Why Monkey? Why Island? :?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri May 14, 2010 4:00 pm

It was an island because it was actually a higher bit of land that stayed dry and drained. Monkey? Dunno about that, other than the reason to which I've already alluded above! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby AspectofRatio » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 am

My Dad knows why it is called Monkey Island!
He says it's because there used to be a spring there containing coloured stones that, as children, they used to use to paint their faces and as lipstick! (yes that's what he said!) These stones were called Monkey Stones- as to why- he doesn't know.
AspectofRatio
Lite Registered User

Next

Return to Local History & Memories