Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Jerusalem's Well

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Jerusalem's Well

Postby Garth Throstle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Well.JPG

Good news that the site of Jerusalem's Well has survived the surfacing work along the multi-user route between Broomhill Lane and Budby Common thanks to the fence erected by Andy from the Forestry Commission. Does anybody have any info about where the name came from or any stories about it?
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Re: Jerusalem's Well

Postby tightwadswife » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Garth T When do you think this well dates from? It isn't mentioned on any of my old maps.
Hubby remembers climbing down it as a lad back in the 1950's to rescue a Jay. In his memory it was about seven feet deep at that time with stone walls and an earth floor. He thinks it was filled in in the early 1970's, is he right?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mr50p » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

mid to late 70's
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Garth Throstle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm not sure when it dates from. I was told that it was a watering place on the coach road between Warsop and the Great North Road at Tuxford (on the 1825 Warsop Enclosure map Burns Lane beyond Burns Farm is named Tuxford Lane). Could its name come from the same source as Jerusalem Plantation on the Lings? The first occurrence of that name I have seen is on the 1900 OS map. I also heard that the well was filled in by Greens of Burns Farm for safety reasons. My favourite story is that it was a place where knights stopped to water their horses on their way to the Crusades!
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 am

So possibly a bit of a romantisized mystery then? Do you think they would stop the coach to water the horses in the middle of nowhere?
That the name relates to Jerusalem Plantation seems feasible.
I'll ask Richard or John Green about the filling in next time I see them.
Hubby also reckons it was a great place to see lizards.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm

It could well (scuse pun :D ) have been a watering place on the coach road, as a quick look on the map shows it to be an approximate continuation of the road that came past the Parliament Oak and down Oakfield Lane, up Top Sandy Lane and across the fields to the sewage works
Some of this does not exist now, though, as it as been ploughed up.
When i've got time later i'll get a Google Earth picture and draw the old route on it.

Edited to add photo

whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Garth Throstle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 pm

This route certainly makes sense when you look at the field boundaries. I'd heard that there was a coach route across the higher, drier ground but have never seen any mention of it on old maps where a track seemed to go through the Forest past Hanger Hill. Any ideas about the dates for the route across the fields?
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:39 am

Some years ago when i was researching the dates of some cottages in Warsop i managed to get sight of an old Fitzherbert Estates document dated 1741. Unfortunately i wasn't allowed to copy it.

That route was shown on this document. It is only approximate as it is from memory, but it's not far off.
At the bottom left were Top Sandy Lane is you can see 3 small green fields, this part of the old road is still there, albeit overgrown.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby loftyhermes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:19 pm

I thought the old coach road went up Blakely Lane, there is a mile marker post just off Forest Road which used to have the distances on it.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Garth Throstle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:39 pm

It looks as if Whitevanman's route from the 1741 Fitzherbert document is the best evidence of the coach road route connecting Oakfield Lane to the lane past Jerusalem's Well. Of the later maps, Chapman (1774) shows only a track via Hanger Hill, Sanderson (1835) marks a coach road from near the Windmill towards Hanger Hill and Blakeley Lane leads only as far as the Lings. The first OS map is very similar.

This could suggest that the route nearer to Warsop fell out of use in the second half of the 18th century. Could this be connected to improvements to the notoriously muddy route between Mansfield and Warsop which may have forced horse-drawn vehicles to take the higher ground near Parliament Oak or maybe the effect of tolls on some tracks?
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm

The document that i saw was a list of repairs required to some of the cottages on the Fitzherbert Estate. On it was drawn a map of the cottage's location's. Although it was not a proper map, it was a bit more elaborate than a line drawing with plenty of sites noted that would allow you to compare it with today's landscape.

Again unfortunately, but i can't remember the name of the the person who shown it to me and Fitherbert's land agents in Ashby don't know what i'm talking about so i can't trace it again, although i am still trying.

Garth, coincidently, this week i've been trying to see if i can get copies of Chapman's and Sanderson's maps. Went to Mansfield library were they was on sale some years ago, but came across blank faces. They did not even realise that that "Sanderson's 20 miles round Mansfield" was framed and hung on the wall upstairs in the library.
Chapman's map was reprinted in 2003 and Sanderson's was reprinted in2001, both by NCC, so i've emailed them and am now waiting for an answer. I hope they've got some left.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby moanersRus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:55 am

trying to find out, there are plenty of extracts but all can find at mo is this saying they hold copies in the archives.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/mapsandplans.pdf

below is a press release from 2003

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/ ... m?id=21431
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Garth Throstle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:09 pm

There is a copy of the Sanderson map listed on Amazon marketplace
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 am

Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for the replies, i'll be following them up today.
I've also had an email from NCC pointing me to a couple of copies.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Next

Return to Local History & Memories