Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Jerusalem's Well

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Jerusalem's Well

Postby whitevanman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Rung all the contacts direct and they have all sold out, but keeping my name on file.
Think i may have found a Sandersons in a Lake District book shop, waiting for a reply email (no phone no for this shop)

Just had a further email from NCC and the Chapman maps are being reprinted again in July
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby mr50p » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I got one from Forest Town library two years ago :shock: in a yellow packet
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Garth Throstle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 pm

This is an image of part of the 1825 Warsop Inclosure map showing the lanes through the area we have been discussing.
1825 Lanes.jpg

It doesn't help with locating the coach road routes but I don't need an excuse for looking at old maps!

Talking of old maps and watering places ... on the 1825 map (circled below) there is "Black Mire Watering Place" marked at the junction of Mansfield Road and Sookholme Road. Does anybody know the indistinct name of the lane of that is now Sookholme Road?
1825BlackMire.jpeg
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

The Sandersons map is finally winging it's way to me.
Looks like i'll have to wait for the reprint in July for Chapman's
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Cheshire Cat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Very interesting thread. Why is Coach Road so named then if the coaches actually came down Oakfield Lane?

Chesh
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm only guessing but i think that estate is all named after the Robin Hood era, but with no actual relevance to the name/site location.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Garth Throstle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:Very interesting thread. Why is Coach Road so named then if the coaches actually came down Oakfield Lane?

Chesh

On this image of the 1835 Sanderson map there are a couple of coach roads linking to our Coach Road via the Parliament Oak.

Maybe Oakfield Lane was used as a drier route between Mansfield and Warsop and Coach Road was the link to Clipstone. Clipstone was a significant village with the King's Houses used by Plantagenet Kings up to 1393 and the forge needed large supplies of charcoal up to early 1700s.

1835Sanderson.jpg
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby Cheshire Cat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:21 pm

You've got me going now. I like old maps. I shall have to look out for these two
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Looks like there was quite a substantial network of roads even in them days.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby whitevanman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 am

I've just been looking over the Sanderson's map that as just come and i've now got a new theory on the coach road.

To the south east of Parliament Oak, towards Clipstone/Woodhouse there is a road that is actually marked "Coach Road". This goes directly to the Oak. Now as this as supposedly historic significance, we can assume that this was a major road. This road then continues into Warsop after joining Sherwood Street at approximately the current Coach Road, or just below.

Before it gets into Warsop there is a cross road at Oakfield Lane / Top Sandy Lane that i put on the previous google map. This though is shown as a dead end just after Top Sandy Lane.

Once in Warsop, a road then continues out, down Burns Lane and round the Sewage Works (which obviously wasn't there then) and joins onto the route new the well.
This route is virtually identical to the road/path today. In the past, beyond Burns lane was called Tuxford Road (or Lane), so i think it would be safe to assume that this was a major route.

So i now think that the coach road came past Parliament Oak, down past the Turkey farm, joined Sherwood Street and continued into Warsop. It then went down Burns Lane and out of Warsop.

The route that i shown on the Google map may, I think, have been a short cut for those who didn't actually want to call in Warsop and had fallen out of use by the date of this map.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Garth Throstle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:05 pm

The site of the well is now marked by a post which was financed and installed by Warsop Footpaths Group
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby mr50p » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34 pm

The site of Jerusalem's Well in Birklands is now marked by this oak post. The stone-lined well was alongside the coach road between Warsop and the Great North Road at Tuxford. It was filled in during the 1970s for safety reasons. This post has been purchased and installed by the Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group who help the Friends of Thynghowe with practical tasks. This photo shows the reaction of the guys as Andy arrives in his Forestry Commission van within seconds of us finishing the job!
189624_131747850230373_104431872961971_206946_5308251_n.jpg
Copyright Warsop Footpaths & Countryside Group
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Previous

Return to Local History & Memories