Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Warsop Tyre Dump

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Warsop Tyre Dump

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 pm

Is it poor taste to start a local memories topic?
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Re: Warsop Tyre Dump

Postby m8tey » Sat May 30, 2009 12:49 am

Yes it is!

But very funny........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Warsop Tyre Company - Has provided employment for many a Warsopian in past years. My eldest got his first job there when he left school, er, well actually before he left school, just a temporary job as a driver's mate until he went in the army. I seem to think it belonged to the Dawson family then.

The quarry has been bought by a family from Ashfield and they're hoping to get planning permission to make it into a caravan park - a good idea I think but it's just as well there weren't caravans there already! The family introduced themselves to me at last week's carnival fund raising gig and they were very nice people.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby roadrunner » Sat May 30, 2009 2:29 pm

They've not done any work there for a long while, the lads were just on security for ages until they were made redundant a couple of months ago. And now they haven't got the problem of what to do with all the tyres.
Despite what my wife says, I can multitask - sitting on the toilet and reading at the same time is multitasking.
roadrunner
Lite Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sat May 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Caz wrote:Warsop Tyre Company - Has provided employment for many a Warsopian in past years. My eldest got his first job there when he left school, er, well actually before he left school, just a temporary job as a driver's mate until he went in the army. I seem to think it belonged to the Dawson family then.

The quarry has been bought by a family from Ashfield and they're hoping to get planning permission to make it into a caravan park - a good idea I think but it's just as well there weren't caravans there already! The family introduced themselves to me at last week's carnival fund raising gig and they were very nice people.

Had I gone by that point cos I didnt see em!
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Sat May 30, 2009 4:20 pm

No TD, they came in when you were there but the woman started talking to me just after you left. I said she'd be better off talking to councillors really and pointed her in the direction of the Chair and the Vice-Chair of WPC. I was expecting her to post on here before now.

Shelley, if you read this, e.mail or ring me! You owe me a coffee! :-)
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Sat May 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Actually, I said above it used to be Warsop Tyre Company, but I think it was actually Warsop Rubber Company. Seeing their lorries loaded with tyres was a regular thing, they used to get all over the country.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby jilli » Sun May 31, 2009 10:35 pm

No problems when John had it, after him though, had quite a few problems. The stories...... mmmmm libel issues here ? ..... :)
jilli
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cheshire Cat » Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 pm

The lorries used to get stuck under the bridge from time to time. It just depended how they packed the last layer of tyres on to the top of the lorry. It got worse after the council tarmaced under the bridge.

Chesh
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 am

I remember the lads going up there for the big lorry tyre inner tubes in Summer. We had great fun floating down the river on them. :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Caz wrote:I remember the lads going up there for the big lorry tyre inner tubes in Summer. We had great fun floating down the river on them. :lol:

Hi folks, i remember we used to fetch tractor inner tubes from there when we went swimming at Clipstone Lido, we used to blow them up at the garage next to the Squinting Cat and roll them up the road, that was when "Splash" used to entertain the kids with his swimming and diving antics.
Then approaching bonfire night we scrounged tyres off them for our bonfire in the clearing in the middle of "Mount Crescent" and made a right stink when they burned lol, guess you still living there know that from recent times though ....
Bob.
If you cant be good, at least be funny :)
Bob
Lite Registered User

Facebook: Search for me using rgc117@aol.com

Postby DaleB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 pm

I worked there for a while soon after leaving school, in the yard as a sprog the old boys would roll lorry tyres down to me to stack , but they used to use all the new boys as target practice rolling them faster and faster and aiming for our legs, I used to go home black and blue, hated it until I got on to the lorries as drivers mate going round garages collecting worn tyres, remember going to Sheffield and Worksop and getting a bag full of plums from a garage in Creswell every week, also remember owners, can't remember their names but would buy all the lads in the yard fish and chips every Friday.
DaleB
Lite Registered User

Postby sam@warsopcarnival » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Caz wrote:Warsop Tyre Company - Has provided employment for many a Warsopian in past years. My eldest got his first job there when he left school, er, well actually before he left school, just a temporary job as a driver's mate until he went in the army. I seem to think it belonged to the Dawson family then.

twas the coupe family who owned it from when it opened in the 50s till about 7 years ago.
got some photos somewhere of the old fleet of layland lorries painted green and yellow !

i went there for my year 10 work experiance for 2 weeks when it was Warsop rubber
sam@warsopcarnival
Lite Registered User

Postby JohnKearney(Taff) » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi
I used to work at Warsop Rubber Co .67 to 76 The directors when i was there were.Val Coupe,Jack Coupe Snr,Bill Coupe John Coupe Jnr was the son of Jack, The work there was harder than most people think.out in all weathers always wet even in summer (empty tyres hold lots of water) like you said there was a large turnover of labour mainly from Warsop,the only way of making a little more was by long hours,it was a 44 hr week anyway i always put over 60hrs week in mainly because if you were out with the Lorrys most had drivers mates you had work to do when you got back to the yard, it was very rare you did a basic week! there.As soon as i was 17 i was driving under 3t vehicles then at 21 HGV 16t.
But like any job there where some good times.
Heres' my Wagon
Attachments
Rubber.jpg
JohnKearney(Taff)
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories