Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Postby whitevanman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Back to the lane at the back of the old tip,
I've just been talking to one of the lads ( not a lad no longer though :lol: ) who was brought up in one of the cottages, he now lives on Grove Road.
He told me that they had to move out of the cottage's in 1956 due to being condemed by the council. this was because of the close proximity of the ever creeping slurry.

Some of the stone from the buildings was used to build the wall in front of the miners welfare on Wood Lane, this as we know has just unfortunately closed.
He also told where the massive 15" square (approx) oak beams went.

He also could not remember the well/drain though
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby DaleB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Some great stuff on here, Neller chasing us off the football field is an everlasting memory for me, the one thing that's triggered a memory which must have been 'hidden in the backseat if my head' is the echo tunnel, I remember now sticking my head in and shouting 'HELLO' and hearing it echo forever !!
Corner house on Birch St and Lime Cres is mentioned, Our Nanna Elsie and Grandad George lived there if it's the same house ? maybe later than the time these posts refer to?
I S'pose some of the people posting this stuff know me,most of my brothers and sisters (there were lots of us) and Mum and Dad I live away now but my childhood memories will always connect me to CW.
DaleB
Lite Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am

DaleB, is the "B" the initial of your surname, because I remember George living on the corner of Burch Street and Lime Crescent (opposite the Watts family) who used to set fire to the grass on his front garden as he couldn't be bothered to cut it!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby DaleB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi Wizard, you got it, Set fire ? more like Earth Wind and Fire !!! actually I always used to get on awright with the Watts although Maurice could be intimidating.
DaleB
Lite Registered User

Postby Berts » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:46 pm

DaleB wrote:Hi Wizard, you got it, Set fire ? more like Earth Wind and Fire !!! actually I always used to get on awright with the Watts although Maurice could be intimidating.

Hi Dale
I remember you when you lived on Robin Hood Ave before moving to Lilac Grove...we shared a bottom of the garden boundary!
The Watts were the only black family I knew and one of my favourite memories was when their mother would stand at the front door and call them in for their tea.
She still had a very strong accent ( was it Jamaican?) and it went "Maurice, Donald, Barbara, Leslie".... by which time we were usually cracking up.
I also used to go to your grandparents to see Kevin and listen to his Moody Blues & CCR records.... mind you I started at Church Warsop and moved in about 1963 to RHA so the timeline is somewhat mangled here :D
K
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

Previous

Return to Local History & Memories