Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Postby Wizard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am

You're right again Caz, it was Mr Taylor who kept the pigs on his garden on Lime Crescent.
We used to go and give them some bread, as the sty was right up against the garden fence on the allotments lane.
There was another chap who kept pigs near the boiler house as well. I think his name was Harry, but I can't remember his surname, that may have been Taylor as well.

I was actually at Bookers pond when they were pumping it out looking for the little lad who drowned in there.
I remember it very well, as we had been searching for him in the local area, and we all went to sit on one of the small hills that surrounded the pond whilst the firemen were pumping water out of the pond.
One of the men lifted what looked like a bit of cloth and put it back down, then the police cleared the area whilst the body was removed from the water.
I knew his brother and sister quite well, and still see his brother around Warsop.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 pm

My granddad kept his chickens in a big pen on the lane along the stretch from the boiler house, just before the bend, then the pigs were just after the bend. Yes, we used to feed the smelly pigs over the wall as well. :lol:

Do you remember when the Bookers pond incident happened? I remember it as being a very sad and disturbing memory. After that, I never liked going up there.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mr50p » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm

I have the same problem with the Mill Dam my mate Nigel drowned trying to save his little brother they both died I remember we were doing a show with the Boys Brigade. Old uncle Tom Cobley we did it Without a Bill Baily the part Nigel was doing. :( :cry:
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Caz wrote:My granddad kept his chickens in a big pen on the lane along the stretch from the boiler house, just before the bend, then the pigs were just after the bend. Yes, we used to feed the smelly pigs over the wall as well. :lol:

Do you remember when the Bookers pond incident happened? I remember it as being a very sad and disturbing memory. After that, I never liked going up there.

I can remember your grand dads chickens, with the high wire fence to keep them in.
The pigs you are talking about were Mr Taylor's, who lived in the house on Lime Crescent with the front and back doors being next to each other ( on the front of the house). Strange but true!!
The other pig sty I am talking about was right next to the boiler house.When you entered the garage site at the top of Birch Street, instead of turning left to go down the lane to the allotments , and eventually the woods, this pig sty was on the right, as if you were going to go into the boiler house site.

Do you remember the clear patches on the roads in wintertime, where the hot water pipes used to go under the roads, and melt the snow and ice?
I would guess that there was no other village in the UK where hot water was piped around the village. Quite a modern achievement all those years ago.
With reference to the Bookers pond incident, although I was there, and the memory of the incident is quite clear, unfortunately, I cannot recall the year.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:00 pm

mr50p wrote:I have the same problem with the Mill Dam my mate Nigel drowned trying to save his little brother they both died I remember we were doing a show with the Boys Brigade. Old uncle Tom Cobley we did it Without a Bill Baily the part Nigel was doing. :( :cry:
Yes, that was another of my disturbing childhood memories! My younger brother found their fishing nets by the river and my dad took them to the police station that morning, so they knew where to look for them. I remember seeing the police lifting one of the bodies over the wall near the Mill. Hadn't one of the brothers got his arm in pot? :( A few days after, their parents bought my brother a batmobile as a thank you present. That happened a few years after the Bookers pond incident.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes Wizard, my granddad's chickens had a high wire netting fence and I think I do remember the other pig sty near the boiler house. There used to be some good blackberries around the garages there as well. I also remember the clear patches on the roads where the hot water pipes were and there was a bit on Grove Road that used to steam. You could usually find a warm slab to sit on as well. I remember when they used to clean out the fires at the boiler house, we had no hot water!! :lol:

I've just picked up my mum from my auntie's - the old dears have been gallavanting again! Anyway on the way back we were talking about the old days. She confirms that it was Lucy and Frank Moxon who lived in the cottage up Williamwood, because their daughter was my mum's school friend and my mum's sister married Lucy's brother.

Red, if you speak with your mum she might remember going up there as well, because Lucy Moxon was your great aunt, (your grandad's sister).
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:47 pm

I remember your grandad very well Caz, I lived 2 doors away from him for a while. He never held a driving licence because he learned to drive before you had to hold a licence. When the boiler house used to clean the pipes out once a year the water used to run brown for ages before you could use it. We used to warm our hands on the hot pipes outside the houses in the winter. There was no central heating then, my dad used to make us a fire up in the bedroom. We could write our names in the ice that formed on the insides of the windows. I can remember falling through the asbestos roof of one of the garages at the top of Birch St, (another good hiding). The boy who drowned at Bookers pond, his sister lives in Church Warsop, I think it would have been about 1965.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Are you sure it was that late M8tey? I thought it was when I lived on Sycamore Street and we moved from there to Warsop in 1960. Maybe not then, and I was just congratulating myself on being able to remember what happened fifty years ago, when I find it difficult to remember what I did last week. :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:07 pm

I am only guessing Caz, but in 1960 i was only 1........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:19 am

You could be right M8tey. The Mill accident must have been late sixties because my brother who found their nets wouldn't have been old enough to be out on his own much earlier. It's just that the Bookers pond accident seems much further back in my memory than that, but it's strange how the memory works, you remember how upsetting something was and feel it as though it was yesterday, yet you forget details. I'm probably remembering fishing at Bookers pond and connecting it with the accident.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Berts » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

The Bookers Pond accident must have been a little earlier M8tey because I was still at Warsop Vale school and I had been playing with the 2 boys involved the day before they decided to go rafting.
I feel quite ashamed that I cannot remember his name any more :(
On a lighter note I too was a regular contributor to keeping Mr Taylor's pigs well fed, with my Gran usually making me drop stuff off on my way to school.... mind had forgotten the strange door setup, probably too exited at going to see the pigs ( Who needs National Geographic eh!)
I can also remember sledging down the allotment lane from Tony Dunlops and crashing on the sledge through one of the asbestos garages I am surprised they lasted as long as they did!
Mind you I managed to avoid the good hiding ( probably by blaming someone else! butter wouldn't melt eh!)
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm sure someone must be able to put a near date on it. I can remember my dad saying where he'd been and what had happened, he told me in a way as a warning about playing dangerously around water.

Berts, in those days, the only way to avoid a good hiding was to blame someone else, but at the risk of getting found out and getting a bigger hiding for telling lies!! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Caz wrote:I'm sure someone must be able to put a near date on it. I can remember my dad saying where he'd been and what had happened, he told me in a way as a warning about playing dangerously around water.

Berts wrote:The Bookers Pond accident must have been a little earlier M8tey because I was still at Warsop Vale school and I had been playing with the 2 boys involved the day before they decided to go rafting.

Can't give an exact date, but taken from one of the Warsop Vale history books, it was 1964
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby m8tey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Not a bad guess after all then. Berts i have pm you a couple of names to see if it jolts your memory.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Berts » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:38 pm

m8tey wrote:Not a bad guess after all then. Berts i have pm you a couple of names to see if it jolts your memory.......

Thanks M8tey PM'd you back with the 3 seperate accidents I can recall.
Though message seems to be stuck in the outbox as opposed to the sentbox for some reason!
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories