Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Postby Berts » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:16 am

Okay here's one for you all
Before the NCB chose to demolish half the woods there used to be a path thru the woods from Church Warsop to Warsop Main pit called as you might imagine "Pit Lane!"
Anyway as you walked along and just prior to the cornfield starting on your right there was a small path that led more or less to the 3 Beeches...still with me?
A couple of hundred metres along this path on your left was a 3-4 m diameter man made pond complete with some sort of metal drain which we kids called Robin Hoods Well.
Apart from the obvious middle ages ironwork :) we had no idea why it was there or what it was!....Anyone remember this or shed any light.
In fact anything about the air raid shelter or the echo tunnel would also be welcome.
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

Re: Church Warsop Woods/Robin Hoods Well

Postby m8tey » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:46 pm

My initials were carved on the three beeches. I'm sorry but i don't remember the pond. I can remember when the pit reclaimed half the woods, they made two big hills out of the top soil. We used to call them the green hills.These were still there when the pit shut, and when they landscaped the pit tip the soil was spread out to creat the farmers fields. The pit tip was reduced in size after the Abberfan disaster. When they bulldozed the top off the pit tip, it was on fire, spontaneous combustion. The field at the right hand side of black pad (if you walk down from the club) was taken off the farmer so the that part of the tip could be dragged into it. We (the kids) had a football field at the back of the welfare that was taken off us and given to the farmer. This is now doorstep green.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Berts » Fri May 29, 2009 2:19 pm

m8tey wrote:This is now doorstep green.

Ah Doorstep Green...so that's what my memories have been called.
The only football match I have ever been to was there and i didn't know if I should support the Blues or the Reds so I decided to support who ever was playing from the pavilion end...doh.
I remember the wonderful old 2 story wooden pavilion and the hot Bovril served also the tennis courts and glass fronted pavilion and the very big wall you could walk around between that and the bowling green pavilion. Arsonists have a lot to answer for!
I virtually lived on Doorstep Green and I particularly loved the Summer when they brought the Pit Ponies for their holidays... there was no house with spare bread in the village during this time as we begged every morsal to feed them.
Further down on the swings there also used to be a pavilion used by the Terriors/Army cadets I think, where one night a group of us saw it being broken into and rifles stolen...Of course this was the end of the fifties I was young and impressionable and could just be the over fertile imagination at work!

Speaking with my Mother who also grew up in CW she knew about the well in the woods but she couldn't shed any light on it either! although she reminded me of the farm that was overrun by the tip on pit lane.
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

Postby m8tey » Fri May 29, 2009 10:48 pm

You asked about the echo tunnel too Berts, Its still there, but the small tunnel that went under the railway tunnel is now flooded and full of silt. The air raid shelter that i knew as a kid (it was demolished about 35 years ago) was in the woods just past the allotments. There was 2 sides to it but i still don't know what it was for........ :lol: I can't remember the pavillion you mentioned but your right about the wall round the bowling green, thats still there. Thinking about it are you getting mixed up with Carr lane pavillion as that has been burned down and the army cadets was next to it. I can just remember the tennis courts at the back of the welfare. We tried to play on the football field but was always chased off by Nelson (Neller) Jones, He used to put barbed wire round the goal posts. Try getting away with that today. The only pit lane i can think of is black pad at the side of the Welfare.........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Berts » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 pm

m8tey wrote: Thinking about it are you getting mixed up with Carr lane pavillion

No it was definitely there but it really is a long time ago and on the edge of my memory.
As you entered "the swings" through the gate on Wood Lane (about where that building is now) it was set behind and slightly to the right of the big swings...does that make sense?
The air raid shelter was excellent for lighting fires in and it burnt away the other nasty smells but thats all I knew it as, could have been anything really?
Neller Jones the kid's nightmare had a little allotment behind wire fencing up near the football pitch and we used to pinch his carrots but that man was always on the look out for us! I reckon I have now traded places with him :(
Pit Lane was the path to Warsop Main through the woods and the building apparently was the original William Wood Farm.
Berts
Lite Registered User

Postby Mensa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 am

Berts wrote:Okay here's one for you all
Before the NCB chose to demolish half the woods there used to be a path thru the woods from Church Warsop to Warsop Main pit called as you might imagine "Pit Lane!"
Anyway as you walked along and just prior to the cornfield starting on your right there was a small path that led more or less to the 3 Beeches...still with me?
A couple of hundred metres along this path on your left was a 3-4 m diameter man made pond complete with some sort of metal drain which we kids called Robin Hoods Well.
Apart from the obvious middle ages ironwork :) we had no idea why it was there or what it was!....Anyone remember this or shed any light.
In fact anything about the air raid shelter or the echo tunnel would also be welcome.

Now you've re-ignited the flames of memory, I clearly remember that pond, especially the drain. I never did know what it was or why it were there. But the memories have faded a little now, I wonder if it's still there?
Mensa
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I was born on Wood Lane and clearly remember the path behind the old tip.

Look on google earth.
If you go just past the welfare to the start of the woods, then draw a straight line over to Williamwood lane about one field to the north of the farm, this was the approximate route of the lane.
About half way down was two old stone cottages that still had the old gas lights. These got buried under the tip in the mid fifties, athough the lane was still open for another couple of years before that got buried.
One of the families was called Moxon.

I can't remember the well/ drain though
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:18 am

I was born on Sycamore Street and I remember walking with my dad and my grandad along that lane to Warsop Main. I also remember fishing with my dad on on the pond near the rocks, I think it was Bookers pond - I also remember someone drowning in it. I had cousins in Warsop Vale and used to stay with them in the summer hols and often played on the lane at the back of the pit tip, the air raid shelters were there then. I also remember the dairy farm down there - I expect that was Williamwood. The farmer would treat us to a drink of unpasturised milk now and then, still slightly warm and very creamy. :lol: That would have been around the mid sixties I should think. :oops:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 pm

I can remember Robin Hoods Well, and I can remember the old cottages that were buried by the tip as well!
I thought the people who lived in one of the cottages were called Poxon, not Moxen, but I may be wrong. After all, it was a few years ago.
If I'm not mistaken, I think they moved in to a house at the top of Birch Street.
All of us kids used to wait for the pit ponies being brought through the woods to the football field for their 2 weeks holiday, and when the blinkers were removed from them they went absolutely wild, like bucking bronco's.
The old wooden pavilion was were we used to stand to feed the horses, but I don't recall it being two stories high.
I remember Neller Jones shouting at us for being on the football pitch though! We used to go on the field just to see how long it would take him to spot us.
I can also remember the tennis pavilion, which was sited at the back of the high wall that surrounded the bowling green, right next to the tennis courts.
Ahhhhh... Happy Days
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:54 pm

There was a family who lived on the corner of Birch Street and Lime Crescent called Moxon. I remember Lucy Moxon, she was my Mama's friend. I remember the pit ponies being brought up for their holidays as well. :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 pm

I remember Bookers Pond as well, learnt to fish there with my friends. You're right, Caz, someone did drown in there and the fire brigade breached one side of the pond to assist draining it , I assume to find the body. Although the breach was filled up again the water level never recovered and the pond just dried up after that.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Porthos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Caz wrote:There was a family who lived on the corner of Birch Street and Lime Crescent called Moxon. I remember Lucy Moxon, she was my Mama's friend. I remember the pit ponies being brought up for their holidays as well. :lol:

I can confirm that it was the Moxon family living in the corner house. I know they were still there at the end on the 60's and that (without divulging too much info on a public forum) the family still resides in Church Warsop.
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!
Porthos
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 pm

It was a friend of my brother who drowned in Bookers pond. I think the kids had been sailing on an old car roof and after they had gone home he went back on his own. I worked with the lads dad when i started Warsop Main.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Porthos wrote:
Caz wrote:There was a family who lived on the corner of Birch Street and Lime Crescent called Moxon. I remember Lucy Moxon, she was my Mama's friend. I remember the pit ponies being brought up for their holidays as well. :lol:

I can confirm that it was the Moxon family living in the corner house. I know they were still there at the end on the 60's.

did you use to visit them there then?
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 am

My dad was on Warsop fire service when the lad drowned on Bookers pond and I remember him going out with them to assist with draining it. That would have been in the late fifties or early sixties, I think.

Moxon's - I think it was Frank and Lucy, or was Frank their son? I liked Lucy, a bonny blonde (grey) haired woman, salt of the earth just like my Mama, Gertie Saint. Does anyone remember my Granddad - Jack Saint? He used to keep chickens and sold eggs. I remember the chap a couple of doors up from them who kept pigs and he used to go round the neighbours with his tin buckets collecting scraps of food to make pig swill. My Mama used to leave her scraps outside the back door for him. I've forgotten what his name was. Anyone remember? Ahh, was it Taylor? Yes, Mr Taylor, I think. His pigs were in a sty on their back garden just off the lane at the back of Lime Crescent, that went from the boiler house, past the allotments and down to the woods. Oh happy days!! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Next

Return to Local History & Memories