Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

What Year Did The Dog & Rabbit Close?

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby Caz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:14 pm

I think the Dog and Rabbit closed and was refurbished before re-opening. Didn't that bloke from the sixties band have it? I think it was one of Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Titch.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby popdeb » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm

yes titch ran it for shipstones as a manager after Reg and Anne Newman left to run a pub near chesterfield. around the same time as the Portland (gurder) closed and then that was pulled down but griffins bought the dog and rabbit to use as offices.
popdeb
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 pm

popdeb wrote:yes titch ran it for shipstones as a manager after Reg and Anne Newman left to run a pub near chesterfield. around the same time as the Portland (gurder) closed and then that was pulled down but griffins bought the dog and rabbit to use as offices.

Anne and Reg Newton did move to run a pub at Poulterton! Their eldest son is my brother-in-law. :lol: When they retired they moved up Robin Hood but sadly Reg died a few years ago. Anne still lives there though.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby langameringue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:36 pm

[

The Dog was the only pub that I never set foot in in Warsop. I thought that it closed mid-90's.[/quote]

did you never own a whippet or play dominos? 8)
No matter where you go-There you are!
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby langameringue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 pm

Caz wrote:I think the Dog and Rabbit closed and was refurbished before re-opening. Didn't that bloke from the sixties band have it? I think it was one of Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Titch.

What? :shock:
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby Cheshire Cat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 pm

Shipstones was bought by Greenhalls who were bought by someone else.

Why do you think Camra is hypocritical Digger?
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby langameringue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:28 pm

The closing of Mansfield Brewery was a sad loss. They produced award winning beers, ran excellent houses and provided a lot of local employment. No wonder there was a lot of controversy at the time of the takeover. . . .

I agree with you Digger

When i started frequenting pubs most places served 'real' ale. Personally i could never get along with a murky, sedimented liquid that left you s******g through the eye of a needle and a hangover like a bolt through the skull

I never mourned the loss of 'Shippos' which tended to have the same effect
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby langameringue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:59 pm

I'm getting confused here or is it too long since i left Warsop.

I thought the club at the side was called the Portland and the 'Windmill' was a Fish Bar.

Has the Plough still got a snooker table? The landlord who installed it was quite an accomplished player. Previous to that the tap room sported a Pinball Machine one of the old electro mechanical devices that ran slower than the digital monsters and was easier to navigate after 6 pints.

Why has horizontal drinking been replaced by vertical drinking?

Why am i going grey?

Is all this memory loss on closure dates caused by the above?
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 am

The club next to the Dog and Rabbit was the Portland but when it was sold off as a pub it became known as the Windmill.

The last time I went in the Plough, the snooker table was in the tap room. I remember the pinball machine - was a pinball wizard at 16 - knew just how hard to pull the plunger to make the ball light up all the gates and could put a bob in that thing and stay on it all night. :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby langameringue » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby langameringue » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Whats happened to all those pub games. You have a job finding a dartboard nowadays :(

The Horse & Jockey and Eagle Tavern had a bar billiards table if you could understand the rules of the game.

Down the road a little and the Masons Arms had a metal ring suspended from the middle of the room which you had to negotiate onto a 'Bulls Horn'. . . .a lot more difficult than it looked and a trifle dangerous when the bar was packed! The Midland had a similar hazardous contraption for downing skittles. . . .were the landlords frightened of the litigation from punters being 'zonked' on the head. . .don't see these games anymore or the Tap rooms that housed them. . . .ripped out by the 'Pub Companies' . .
:cry:
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby Digger » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Cheshire, as I said, it was a hostile bid by W&D yet CAMRA reckoned it was in the best interest of the product. Why? Mansfield was ok, had 500+ pubs and wasn't in trouble as far as I'm aware. First the offices were closed, as you'd expect, but when the brewery was closed the writing was on the wall. How could you call it Mansfield Ales when it was brewed in Wolverhampton. Sure enough, the name has now all but gone, Martsons is the only choice. Why on earth did CAMRA back the Mansfield takeover when they seem to defend every other brewery from a take-over? Their judgement was wrong and in my opinion they're prats. I wish I still had a copy of the mail from the arrogant twirp in Mansfield CAMRA, such a load of rubbish I'd never heard in my life and he thought that I was the idiot for criticising them!!
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cheshire Cat » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification Digger. I don't have a problem with what you have said.

As a CAMRA member I would say Mansfield was always at the trailing edge for real ale. Mansfield Brewery did wake up to the movement late on and like youI did think the takeover was a bad idea.

If you look at Mansfield as a whole the only local brewery is Kimberley Ales. At leastwe've got Lees and Holts!!!!
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby sam@warsopcarnival » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:50 am

langameringue wrote:Another infamous Shipstones House was the BelleVue in Mansfield and they drove a road through it. Is the brewery still in existence, i wonder.
Mansfield Brewery is just a barren wasteland in the middle of town now.
I blame all these Wine bars that are springing up in Warsop and elsewhere. . . . :cry:

shipstones brewry at nottingham is now a auction house owned by john pye and sons auctioneers ,
i rekon it closed in 98 -99 as there is a picture on a facebook profile taken outside the dog and rabbit dated 97 !
i remeber going to the bonfire nights there wen i was a lot younger

and the snooker table in the plough is long gone the last landlord (graham breen) sold it and replaced it with a pool table
sam@warsopcarnival
Lite Registered User

Postby langameringue » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Can we have some clarification here?

When exactly did the 'Dog & Rabbit'close?

When did the old cinema close?

When did 'Top Cat' burn down?

The part that worries me is that large tracts of Warsop are dissapearing and nobody seems to take any notice. Fire Brigade records are going astray, roads are being opened and closed , then mysteriously opened again. Is there a sinister force, not so far away, that has infiltrated the Town Hall, hypnotising the people therein so they have no recollection of these events :shock: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :smoking:
langameringue
Super Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories