Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

What Year Did The Dog & Rabbit Close?

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: What Year Did The Dog & Rabbit Close?

Postby steevieJ » Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just spotted it whilst searching for some info on the Dog and Rabbit and thought I'd post.

I worked for a chap called Vince Collins (I was a barman) at the Dog and Rabbit around 1981/1982.

He was the manager, and co-managed the place with his wife/partner Sue, and was a musician.....not sure what band he'd been in, it was always rumoured it was Dave Dee's band (a rumour he didn't dispel), but it was all a bit vague:)

It was a great place back in those days, and most of the rugby club used to visit the place on a Sunday after a game, and normally stay for a lock in between lunch and evening sessions.

I'd be interested to see any photos of the old place from any year, but especially around the 80's.

I went on to be a relief manager for Shipstones brewery, and ran the Blue Tit at Boughton (Ollerton), for a good period after leaving the D&R.

Very happy days.....I'd be interested to discover what happened to Vince and Sue, and many of the long term regulars of the day (a few of whom I went out with briefly).

Regards,

Stephen
steevieJ
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Here's a couple of old photo's, the 1920 one being a photo of an old postcard, the newer one is 1990
[url=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2799462990102972801bibOdk]Image

According to Wikipedia, Vince Collins was not known for being in that band, although i heard that as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dee,_ ... k_%26_Tich
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby dalenorris » Tue May 29, 2012 5:49 pm

The Dog and Rabbit, was hub of Warsop life, in the 50/60's. Lots of characters, who were seduced by Shippo's finest ale. Cyril & Mabel Draper, ran the place, and after her hubbys death, Mabel was the landlady for years. At the bar, Shady Cooke, Ernie Norris, Bruce Allenby, and lurking in the background, Geno, of Concrete Canyon. Great days. Does anyone remember ?
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Facebook: dalenorris@telkomsa.net

Previous

Return to Local History & Memories