Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby La Fiama » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:32 pm

It got knocked down with Vics Wood yard
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Does anyone remember when Vic's woodyard was a farm? There was also Bromley's farm where Greendale Close is and a farm where the Health Centre now is and I think another one on Hetts Lane. They were all playgrounds for us when they became derelict. :)
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby La Fiama » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I remember Bromleys farm and also the one on Church Street and the old farm near to the Mill on the Carrs side, I also remember the one on Eastlands Lane as it was being demolished.
La Fiama

Postby 50s YOOF! » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 pm

The one on church street bowrings while it was being demolished, me and my buddies spent most of our school lunch times in the old barn and out buildings,on one occassion we all retuned to school with chicken flea bites,we were all covered,they marched all five of us up to the town hall from school to see the nurse in the clinic,next day headmaster jack ellis gave all 5 of us the cane for going out of school at lunch time with out permission, :roll:. eastwoods demolished the one on eastlands lane in the 60s i can remember the day the bulldozers turned up it was in the summer holidays,between coggins lane and the church it was all grass fields,we spent most of that summer holiday helping contractors take turf off all the fields,£1.00 a week it was good money back then for a 10 year old :lol:
It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
50s YOOF!
Lite Registered User

Postby Digger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Heck, reading this lot brought back loads of memories. Have you room for some more?

We lived up Fell Wilson Grove and when I started school at Hetts Lane I used to walk down the lane from the end of Meden Avenue, past the end of Birklands Ave until you reached the allotments that were opposite the school. The housing estate that linked those two avenues wasn't built until around 1960. Can you imagine kids today being allowed to walk down a lane to school, I think not. On the right was "Benny's field" where we used to play footie after shooing the cows down to the bottom end. We had to listen for Benny's tractor coming and used to hide behind the row of hawthorn bushes in the middle of the field whilst he drove past.

On the shop theme, I also remember the first VG that was joined on to the cottages across the road from the bus stop on Burns Lane. I think Spencers owned it. Opposite their shop was the entrance to the chuch hall (was it called the mission?) where I used to go to Sunday school and for a while to the Life Boys on a Friday night. I didn't enjoy that too much and eventually joined the scouts at the methodist church down Burns Lane past Eastwoods. When we finished there at 9pm we used to run through the alley down the side of the Empress and the Strand to the chippy for our supper.

When I was very little I seem to remember my gran taking me into an indoor market hall between the mission and Poynton's. If you stand over the road outside the H&H you can still see the roofline. That then became the garage (late 50's?) selling Hillman cars and I think for a time they had a couple of petrol pumps. At the other side of Poytons what is now the first cottage was Hinchcliffe's sports & fishing tackle shop where I used to buy my maggots and ground bait - happy days.

I also remember Metheringhams over the road, and was often sent down on my bike on a Sat morning for one of their pork pies. The shop assistant used to warn me "it's still warm, mind you don't break the crust and lose the jelly".

Does anyone remember the old co-op on Sherwood St, now the council office? My first memory of it was the big high wooden polished counter on two (poss 3) sides, and the personal service from the assistants. Everything was fetched for you item at a time. Then your bill and money was placed in a wire basket high behind the counter, the assistant pulled a chain (like a toilet chain!) and the basket shot on a wire across the ceiling to the cash office. A minute or so later and your change came back the opposite way! I thought that it was magic, but then didn't the Mansfield Co-op have the next version up, the vacuum tubes and cylinders that whooshed your money off in the same way? The co-op always struggled though to keep up with the Vg supermaret, even when it was modernised.

I have many other memories but I'll save those and not bore you all in one go. :lol:
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:53 pm

How things have changed!

There's so much my generation missed out on. ... and even more this generation has missed out on!

I can remember going round the 'VG' before it was knocked down and became Kwik Save .. I was about 4/5 at the time and I remember it because I was always allowed to have a pack of snaps crisps that my mum would open before we got to the till in order to keep me quiet. She would then pay for them at the end ... if she did that nowadays she'd have been up before a magistrate for shoplifting before you can say Bob's your aunty.

I also remember Mandora soft drinks with the old fashioned ring pull long after coca cola had switched to the new type. Mandora used to have a sign on the chippy at the top of the high street (Dawny Hill).
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Can you remember when you got a deposit on the bottle you took back, should bring that back it may encourage people to return glass to be used again, not on milk bottle of course :lol:
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:13 pm

They still give money back on some returned bottles in Greece!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:09 pm

Adrian wrote:Can you remember when you got a deposit on the bottle you took back, should bring that back it may encourage people to return glass to be used again, not on milk bottle of course :lol:

We used to sneak round the back of the memorial club at church warsop and pinch some bottles, then take them in and get money for them. :oops:

I also remember the old boiler house at Church Warsop Free hot water for everyone. If you had a broken window your dad would send you to the boiler house for glass and some putty which was also free. It wasn't really free, it was run by Warsop Main colliery and your rent money went towards it. It was still running when i first got married and some men from the boiler house came and put me some new ceilings up.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Talking about the boiler house. Remember how the pavements on Grove Road used to steam on very cold days in winter?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:45 pm

Caz wrote:Talking about the boiler house. Remember how the pavements on Grove Road used to steam on very cold days in winter?

Yes i can, and i remember when we were kids all the houses were linked with hot water pipes that were lagged and on cold days we used to warm our hands on them. Thinking about the boiler house again, they used to clean the boiler out once a year so the water would be cold, and when they flushed the pipes out the water used to run brown.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 pm

I remember sitting on the paving slabs to warm my bum! :oops: I don't remember whether it worked, I was very young! :lol:

We moved to Warsop when I was five but still often visited both my grandparents in Church Warsop. One on Sycamore and one at the top of Lime, near to't boiler house, as my Mama used to call it. Bobby Cook lived next door to her so I had to behave when I visited!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:57 am

m8tey wrote: Thinking about the boiler house again, they used to clean the boiler out once a year so the water would be cold, and when they flushed the pipes out the water used to run brown.

That used to be one of my jobs, many years ago.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:16 am

whitevanman wrote:
m8tey wrote: Thinking about the boiler house again, they used to clean the boiler out once a year so the water would be cold, and when they flushed the pipes out the water used to run brown.
That used to be one of my jobs, many years ago.

So you're the cause of my brown skin! Or is it due to all my holidays abroad? :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 pm

That used to be one of my jobs, many years ago.[/quote]

and a very good job you did to. Them were the days eh.

were you a plumber and lived near one of Caz's grandparents?
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories