Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

blood lane

Postby trooper » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:06 pm

(blood lane)
it was really called bloodshot lane,it started at the bottom of meden avenue,where sandy lane is
been there done that
trooper
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:10 pm

It used to go up to a crossroads with the lane coming off Cherry Grove, there are only three lanes now as they filled one in. The one they filled in was known as lovers lane when I was a kid.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby La Fiama » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:39 pm

They no doubt filled Lovers Lane in Caz when they saw what you were getting up to in as a teenager :lol: :lol:
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:38 am

What? Do you mean there were peeping Toms there? :oops:

They wouldn't have learned much from me! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:05 pm

HI FIRST TIME ON HERE. I CAN REMEMBER MY DAD BUYING A CAR FROM WINKS GARAGE THAT USED TO BE WHERE SOMMERFIELDS IS NOW. THE PETROL PUMPS USED TO BE ACCROSS FROM THE HARE AND HOUNDS. I CAN ALSO REMEMBER BUYING USED SINGLES FROM PEPPERDAYS WHERE BARGAIN BOOZE IS NOW, THEY CAME FROM JUKE BOXES AND YOU HAD TO BUY MIDDLES TO FIT IN THEM SO YOU COULD PLAY THEM ON YOUR RECORD PLAYER. THERE USED TO BE A SLAUGHTER HOUSE ON WOOD STREET, A FRIEND OF MINE FROM SCHOOL USED TO HAVE A SATURDAY JOB THERE, AND CAN ANYONE REMEMBER D R WHITES SUPERMARKET WHERE THE PIZZA SHOP IS NOW ACCROSS FROM THE TOWN HALL.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 pm

I remember the Pizza Stop used to be called MR B's. That's as far back as my memory goes.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Oooh, m8tey. I remember all of those things.

I'd forgotten about those funny three pronged middles we clipped into the the singles that came out of juke boxes. The garage you mentioned belonged to Wilkinson's from Spion Kop and was next to the old chapel where we used to have Guides and Brownies.

I remember the slaughterhouse used to flush its rubbish into the river.

I don't remember the supermarket being called Whites, but when it was first built it was Cresswell's supermarket and there was also a launderette there.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby La Fiama » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:07 am

I remember the garage on Church Street, they use the old mission hall/chapel as a car showroom, but I thought it belonged to the Woods family from Spion Kop. There used to be a fishing tackle shop next to the cottage on Church Street corner opposite Woodheads.

Pepperdays is were I used to go for my Airfix models and toy soldiers

I also remember Cresswells food store which shut after the new road went through
La Fiama

Postby m8tey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:31 pm

I COULD SWEAR IT USED TO SAY D R WHITES OVER THE DOOR CAZ BUT I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE WRONG. I REMEMBER GOING TO THE EMPRESS ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT TO THE DISCO, YOU HAD A STAMP ON YOUR HAND AS YOU WENT IN THE DOOR, THAT MEANT YOU COULD GO OUT AND BACK IN WHEN YOU WANTED.TONY PERIN USED TO RUN THE DISCO. WE USED TO GO TO THE TALBOT FOR A BITTER AND LIME FROM THE OFF SALES, THIS WAS A LITTLE WINDOW INSIDE THE DOOR ON SHERWOOD STREET. ( GOD BLESS BILL CHAMBERS ). I CAN ALSO REMEMBER GOING TO SKINNERS DISCO. IT USED TO BE WHERE THE WINE BAR IS NOW. IT WAS RUN BETWEEN SKINNER AND BELLAMY 2 TEACHERS FROM THE MEDEN SCHOOL. I GOT INTO TROUBLE AT HOME FOR COMMING IN SO LATE FROM THE DISCO, I WAS ABOUT 14.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:17 pm

Talking about the off sales window at the Talbot. I remember going there to get toasted sandwiches!

I remember Alan Bellamy and Pete Skinner buying the old picture house and starting up the disco, I've just forgotten what it was called, though it was a little bit after my time, but my younger brothers and sisters used to go. Alan Bellamy taught me Human Biology and Pete Skinner taught me Art.

Adrian - we used to call the chap at the fishing tackle shop 'Officer Dibble'! I often went there with my dad who was a very keen fisherman and if I was very good I'd get taken to Poyntons toy shop next door as well.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 pm

The disco at the old "Picture House" used to be where the Post Office and card shop is now. If you look on the old Warsop footage you can just catch the entrance between Sketchly cleaners and a cobblers (can't remember his name).
After the disco's, it became an indoor market type place, but that did'nt last long and it then became a furniture sales shop (still owned by Alan Bellamy) until it got burn't down. This was actually the begining of the Top Cat place at Shirebrook
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:09 am

I think the Nursing home was built on the ground that the old picture house was on. And at the back of it, on Clumber Street, was the school kitchens.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 am

The rear end of the picture house was where the car park and nursing home is, but the frontage was were the post office is, because the fire escape from the picture house came down onto the street right next to the house next to the post office, and at one time there was burn marks on this house, from when the picture house burnt down. Thinking of this house, although it has a large shop window, i can never remember it being a shop, and from what i can remember, the state of it as never altered in all these years, i think it still as the same plants in the window :?
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:37 am

Oh, yes, I know the house you mean and those geraniums have lived for a long time haven't they? Yet, I never see anyone watering them! :lol:

Thinking about it, the stone that the post office and Indian takeaway are built in does look newer and more yellow than the other buildings, though I imagined that was just facing stone. I must be getting old. My memory is obviously clouding!! :)

I was married and living at Worksop when the old picture house burnt down and it was nine years before I came back home to Warsop to live, so I missed some things! Well, that's my excuse!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby festering_plates » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:14 am

So what year did the picture house burn down? I always got the impression the old picture house is where bingo is now.
Why won't the fly fairies ever leave me in peace? There just to fast to kill....
festering_plates
Lite Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories