Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04 pm

This arrived by e.mail from Harry Bletcher.

Hello again,

I was reading the comments that were made about the various teachers you had at Burns Lane school, I know I was there in a different time and there was also a war going on too, my teachers were Mr Hayward, Mr Gagg, Mr Johnson, Mr Worley,Mr Perry, Mr Carr, and the headmaster was Mr Sid Bennett.When I was in Mr Gagg's class, Form 2A of 1939 to 1940 year I was awarded a Star Record prize book which was a book on the Royal Air Force to encourage recruits. I still have this book after 67 years and have been told it could be worth a lot of money, I will never part with it. Mr Gagg had the best hand writing of anyone I have seen, I believe he went out to Lincoln way as a headmaster.

In Mr Johnsons class I became the head monitor for Mr Bennett, who had accepted the position of Chief Air Raid Officer for the town of Warsop, because of this I was taking official mail back and forth to the Town Hall.Mr Bennett would let the teachers know he was available to see them by walking up the corridors and letting go with his smokers cough which everyone recognised.It was sad to hear later that he had fell down the steps at the Conservative Club and was killed.

It is strange how small things change your life or what might have been, I passed the eleven plus exams to go to Brunts School at Mansfield, because of my large family there was no clothing coupons to spare to have the Brunts School uniform made, there was no money available either.I went to work in Mansfield at Maun Industries and was taught welding, I never realised it would become the means to have a good life in Canada.

Little things make a big difference.

Harry Bletcher
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:07 pm

AVO, I used to go to the same scout group (I think Whitey may have as well) but in those days they met at the old Methodist Church on Burns Lane. Ron Moore was the leader then too, and the District bloke was "Skip" Meredith, lived up near the Windmill. We used to come of Friday meetings, through the alley at the side of the Empress to the chippy opposite the old fire station. Habits didn't change, did they?
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby AVO » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi Digger, I remember going to the scout meetings at the Methodist Curch on Burns Lane, but I always thought that was just a temporary thing. I do remember going camping at Whatstandwell in Derbys. and being collected from the Methodist Church on Clumber Street by an open backed coal lorry. Imagine the furore that would cause nowadays. We also seemed to spend a lot of time at the camp site up Blakely Lane and playing on the bosuns chair. I remember the name Skip Meredith but I cannot recall his face. Do you remember the scout that visited the troop from Ndola, Rhodesia?
AVO
Lite Registered User

Postby Digger » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:10 pm

No, AVO, I don't remember him. If the Burns Lane thing was temporary it was a long one! I went there for 2 or 3 years. In the summer we used to go over the Carrs for the last hour or so, and as you say camping up Blakeley Lane.

I went on 2 camping trips with them. One was in the back of a furniture van to a filed overlooking a beach about 2 miles outside Bridlington. We walked into town a couple of times along the beach.

Another year, we did a return visit with a scouts troop from Kirkcaldy 30 miles or so north of Edinburgh. They'd visited us earlier in the year and stayed at the Blakeley Lane camp, we went up there some weeks later. We were taken on a coach on the Friday evening to Retford and caught an overnight train to Edinburgh where we changed to a local train at about 6 in the morning. It was a good idea doing the swop as we didn't have to take tents, etc, just clothes and sleeping gear. You couldn't get a cheaper holiday.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Yes i did go to the scouts in the chapel on Burns Lane and did was for quite a while. I also remember going to the chapel on Clumber Street, but i'm not sure if this was the scouts or the cubs.

We did spend a lot of time at the Blakeley Lane camp, it was an enjoyable time, pity it's now been wrecked beyond use and the current scouts can't use it.

I can remember 2 camping trips, one to Whatstandwell and one to Bridlington ( wonder if we were together Digger). I didn't go on many trips as my father had recently died and my mother could not afford to let me go.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Digger » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:32 pm

That will have been the same trip, Whitey. I can remember you in the gang. I thought that you went on the Scotland one too, but I must be wrong.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Digger wrote:That will have been the same trip, Whitey. I can remember you in the gang. I thought that you went on the Scotland one too, but I must be wrong.

Once met never forgotten eh Digger. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm saying nothing!
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby AVO » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Digger, Whitevanman and M8tey, I was saddened to hear that the scout camp site at Blakely Lane had been wrecked. I am pleased to have the memories. Regarding the Whatstandwell trip, I went about 1956. so are we talking about the same camp? I didn't go to any more camps because my Dad suffered an accident down Welbeck Colliery and in 1957 we left Warsop to live near Nottingham. My Dad got a job at a new colliery. Easter 1957 (I think) the scouts went on a hike, through Clumber Park to Walesby and back to Warsop via Edwinstowe. I recall that we went with a troop of Girl Guides from Mansfield Woodhouse whose Captain was the wife or girl friend of the Scoutmaster.
AVO
Lite Registered User

Postby Digger » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:53 pm

That's reminded me of something that's topical. One year we went on an Easter Hike in Derbyshire on Good Friday. We went by coach and then walked from Hope to Edale (I think) and the coach picked us up again. I can only remember parts of it, that it was very foggy at one point, and that we crossed the A57 Snake Pass near the pub. I seem to remember it having a cafe at that time and I think we bought drinks there. We were told that the walk was around 12-15 miles.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27 pm

That was a bit before my time AVO but please keep putting your memories on here as i love reading them.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Carburton Lake. Major Oak

Postby Beryl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:21 pm

I remember going to a frozen Carburton Lake in the winter with Gail Russell and her parents, and I remember going to the Major Oak in Edwinstowe and watching the cricket. Beryl
Beryl
Lite Registered User

Postby AVO » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:16 am

Staying with the touring theme. I remember the annual day trips to Skegness or Cleethorpes organised by the Workingmens Club or it may have been an amalgamation of all the clubs, anyway, we used to walk to Warsop railway station, at what seemed to be the crack of dawn, and get a specially organised steam train to take us all the way. No changing, and all the children were each given a ten shillings (10/-) note to spend how they wanted. Sometimes parents could not make it but there was always friends, neighbours or family willing to take other peoples children. Can you imagine the excitement of all the children and the impatience of the Mums and Dads with the kids asking ("Are we nearly there, How much longer ..."?) Somethings don't change. This was the only seaside holiday some children got. On the way back there was always a big sing - song, some men playing harmonicas others playing spoons or bones it was brilliant, and nearly all the children fast asleep. I recall one year my friend spending all his ten shillings in a joke shop, buying stink bombs, joke perfume, explosive caps etc. and using the whole lot quite effiectively at school, unfortunately it resulted in him receiving a small amount of corporal punishment which made it dificult for him to sit for a short while.
AVO
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:29 am

Oh the smell of those steam trains and the clickety clack of the tracks was more pronounced in those days. You used to be able to push the windows down and stick your head out and get a face full of smoke from the engine. We'd walk from one carriage to another and try to see the track below through the cracks where the carriages joined. :lol:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Those were the days when it was worth being a train spotter!! Yes, I'll admit it and I wasn't the only one. There were 4 or 5 of us and we used to get the train to Nottingham from Mansfield, and sometimes went on to Derby. Sometimes it was the bus to Chesterfield or Doncaster, or the train from Worksop to Sheffield or Retford. Odd occasions it was the bike to Tuxford (we must have been mad!). And all with the usual bottle of Tizer and egg butties wrapped up in a Landers loaf wrapper. Happy days. We were only between 10 and 13, kids of that age wouldn't be allowed that freedom these days - shame, isn't it?
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories