Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby Caz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 am

I remember it well. My Mum used to call at Metheringhams on our way to my Grandma's and buy a milk loaf, some pork dripping and roast pork, then we'd make sandwiches when we got there. Delicious!

The bakery was later bought by Brightman and Geeson and then Len and dot Blower.

Ben Jones also had a couple of shops in Warsop, they sold school uniforms!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm

Talking on another thread just made me think of something we used to do when we had school milk. We used to take the tops of carefully to keep their shape and flick them in our fingers to make them fly like frizby's.

Remember the days of doorstep milk, in freezing weather the foil top would be perched on an inch of frozen milk above the bottle.

Does anyone remember the milkman who delivered by horse - Monty, I think that was the horses name! He had his business on Sherwood street and I vaguely remember the milk being ladled from churns - though I must have only been three years old.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tania » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:45 am

I also remember Sam Lake he was the kindest bus conductor, I still see him knocking about Warsop and he always says hello.
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby oldbg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:04 pm

I left Warsop in 1977 and remember being upset because I thought the A60 ruined Warsop. I still think it splits the place.
oldbg
Lite Registered User

OLD MEMORIES OF WARSOP

Postby ruth » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:30 pm

I REMEMBER GOING TO STOP AT MY NANS ON ALBERT STREET FOR THE WHOLE OF THE 5WEEKS SUMMERHOLS FROM SCHOOL. SHE USED TO SPOIL ME AND THE TREAT OF THE HOLS WAS GOING ON THE BUS TO NOTTINGHAM WITH HER AND MY AUNTIE TO DO SOME SHOPPING, PLAYING TENNIS ON THE YARD AND HITTING THE BALL ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE BECAUSE I DID'NT HAVE A PARTNER IT MUST HAVE DRIVEN HER MAD THE BALL THUMPING ON THE WALL (BUT SHE NEVER COMPLAINED)PLAYING SNOBS AND WHIP&TOP THEN IT WAS A BATH IN FRONT OF THE FIRE IN AN OLD TIN BATH (NO BATHROOMS IN THOSE HOUSES) PJ'S ON THEN OFF SHE WOULD TROT TO TONKS CHIPPY FOR 2PENITH OF CHIPS/BATTER BITS/PEAS FOR SUPPER, I CAN TASTE THEM NOW! THEN WE WOULD HAVE A CUP OF COCO AND EITHER DO A JIGSAW/KNIT SQUARES TO MAKE A BLANKET TO GO ON THE BED OR JUST LISTEN TO THE RADIO BECAUSE SHE DID'NT HAVE A TELLY (AND I NEVER MISSED IT) THEN OFF TO BED FOR A GOODNIGHTS SLEEP TO GET UP ALL REFREASHED THE NEXT DAY FOR (YES YOU'VE GUESSED IT) MORE TENNIS
ruth
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 am

Ruth - I remember your Dad's tropical fish. I thought they were fascinating. If I remember correctly, he donated some to Sherwood school when you and I were pupils there. I can't remember which class but it was downstairs so it must have been either our first or second year there. Possibly Miss Pattle's class.

I remember getting to school one morning and one of the guppies was having babies. I got out of assembly by volunteering to count them as they were being born.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby em tee » Wed May 03, 2006 10:29 am

the bus station you may be talking about was bakers busses it was located between the chemist shop and freddie woodheads shop I think it was still there up to when I left warsop in '62

I can remember the icecream carts one was Manfredies and the other was Whites; Ada White was my mums cousin.

The Strand Cinema became a wrestling venue then bingo.

Chadwicks had their paper shop on Woods St, Greens had theirs at the bottom of Dawney Hill how many of you did paper rounds?

Thank you for the film footage nice memories I do like the ones with Spencers as I did work there from '59-'62

regards Mike T 8)
em tee
Lite Registered User

old memories

Postby ruth » Wed May 03, 2006 1:03 pm

I can remember Whites ice cream van. It was a tiny little thing and if my memory is correct it only had three wheels. The icecream lady always wore a white coat and i think she used red lipstick alot. We used to buy a round choc ice on a stick from her nearly everyday they were delishious.
We always called it proper ice cream not like that fluffy stuff you would get off Mr Sofftie. :lol:
ruth
Lite Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 pm

I remember Mr Softie, I used to spend ages choosing what icecream I wanted, normally I would have one of those muti coloured rockets or a hanuted house or sometime If I had been a really good boy I could have a 99 with a flake. Its strange to think the lollies they sold only cost 7pence or 8 pence with choc Ices about 15pence...just look what inflation has done..Bring back the halfpenny thats what I say
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Wed May 03, 2006 9:53 pm

Talking about ice cream. We used to go out with a dish to get filled with ice cream to go with our fruit for Sunday tea.

What happend to wafers? Do they still have them? When you licked the ice cream from the middle of a wafer, you had to be careful not to cut your tongue on the crisp wafer and by the time you got to the last bit the wafer had gone all soggy.

Remember the wafers you got with one thin wafer and one thick one covered in chocolate?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Jacqualine » Fri May 05, 2006 10:21 pm

i remember there were three buses that used to run in Warsop there was the red bus,green bus, and a blue bus never really got to know what company ran them.i was only very young then. i also remember the bus stop on burns lane outside birklands shcool as always been there. but thinking back i also remember a cafe where kwiksave car park is now and seeing all the bus drivers go there for their break.and behind the cafe there was some kind church there and i remeber going there once or twice after school. how thing have changed over the years :( i wish some times i could go back in time just to live it all again.
Jacqualine
Super Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri May 05, 2006 10:36 pm

I can remember the red and green buses ... they were Trent buses if I remember rightly.

I also remember a purple and white one ... Rainworth Travel.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Sat May 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Mansfield and District had the green buses, East Midland had a cream coloured bus with some red on it, the two companies then merged and all the buses became green.

Trent have always had red buses though I do not remmeber them operating in Warsop, there used to be Blue Buses in Mansfield which were Midland General and these merged with Trent traction.
La Fiama

Postby Jacqualine » Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

can anyone remember the three farms down church street? were the doctors and the fire station is now i can remeber going to one of them to go and fetch some eggs for my mum

can anyone remember where blood lane is? or should i say was
Jacqualine
Super Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Sun May 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Yes I can, the one where the fire station is was Albert Bowrings, the one next to it now where the Willows are was Syd Bowrings and the one over the road on the corner of Burns Lane now where Oak garage is was Benny Vincents.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories