Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby m8tey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:00 pm

I still bump into Mr Fenton from time to time, a gentleman.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Rossi wrote:You've not mentioned your fav teacher ever Pud, Mrs Speirs. She never once called me by my first name always referred to you, can't think why :roll:

I remember the late Mrs Spiers she taught me English, she called the lads Master and the girls Miss, I hated the woman, she had her favourites in every class.

How she ever managed to ge into the 3 wheel car she had is beyond me

I thought she was a first class :cloppy:
La Fiama

Postby PUD » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Oh dear, Mrs Spiers hated me with a passion. When Mum went down to school to meet the teachers when Rossi was starting she bumped into her and when she found out she was my mum Mrs Spiers layed into her and made her cry.
She used to drag me round by my pigtails :cry:
If it's stupid but works,
it isn't stupid.
PUD
Lifetime Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm

She got dimentia, I saw her down Mansfield she had one slipper on and one shoe on and looked terrible, she died about 2 years later at a Kirkby Nursing Home
La Fiama

Postby Jacqualine » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:32 am

Anyone remember mr garner (goofy )?i really hated that man i was alway arguing with him

Mrs spiers i used to respect her a lot but Have you ever known any to argue with her ?

well i did once and it was all down to garner being a smart ass he thought he was going to get one up on me well he lost and Mrs spiers went purple with rage

i thought i was going to loose my head that day all because i refused to take my coat into the clocke room at the last lesson till i pointed out to the fact how many other coats she could see in the classroom of the clifton dining room.
It's nice to be Important, but Important to be nice.
Jacqualine
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:57 am

Adrian wrote:head of Rutland was Mr Fenton with Mr Race
Maybe when you were there but I'm sure he was when I was there. He was my tutor and we were in the upstairs art room, until Boris Green took over R6 and we moved downstairs to the Tech Drawing room. :lol:

Goofy Garner taught me History and Fenton, Geography. Now Mrs Spiers was one to respect, she always called me 'the girl with the bunches' cos I used to have my hair in plaits that were doubled up and tied with blue ribbons! :lol:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 pm

Goofy Garner appears in a book The Great Harlequin Grim by former Meden School pupil Gareth Thompson, it's an excellent book :D

When I was at school the heads of house were as follows

Clifton
Mr Griffin and Miss Hutchison (Witchy Poo)

Eastwood
Miss Charles Mr Phoenix

Pagnall
Mr Garner Mrs Heathfield

Rutland
Mr Fenton Mrs Race

Whiteman
Mr Stokes MrsDavies
La Fiama

Postby m8tey » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Garner was head of house for Pagnel and i didn't get on with him much either. Miss Walker was in my tutorial she hated me with a vengeance. :cry:
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:02 pm

This is how it changed when I was there:

Clifton: Mrs Race & Somebody :?
Pagnall: Mr Stokes & Mr Lacey
Whiteman: Mr Blockley & Miss Charles .. then Mrs Davies
Rutland: Mr Phoenix & Somebody :?
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Mr and Mrs Somebody weren't there when I was a pupil
La Fiama

Postby m8tey » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Adrian wrote:Mr and Mrs Somebody weren't there when I was a pupil

Nor me, it was Mr and Mrs Wotsit. :lol:
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Warsop Schools

Postby AVO » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Hi, this is my first visit to Warsop Web, and I must admit that it is the best thing since sliced bread. The film clips and other memory lane topics opened the floodgates and memory lane suddenly became memory motorway. Having plucked up the courage to write this I decided to write my memories down on A4 paper and completely filled 3 sheets with in minutes, so I have decided that the school topics would be most appropriate. I lived in Warsop until May 1957 when my family moved to a small village just outside Nottingham, I was nearly 14 years old.

I went to Hetts Lane but cannot remember much about it, what I do remember, however, is walking to school with my friend, first from Titchfield Street and later from Oakfield Avenue when my Mum & Dad moved there.

I remember Sherwood Street school and some of the teachers. The Headmaster was Mr. Dobbs, after he retired he was found dead by the railway lines in Mansfield and I think the paper said that he suffered from some mental illness. Mrs. Brewster lived in Norton, Mrs Witham lived opposite Clumber Street and Ray Perry lived in a bungalow on the corner of Oakfield Avenue and Ridgeway Road. I think another of the teachers was Norman Seals, he had 2 children Adrian and Roslyn.

Burns Lane School became Birklands and the Headmaster was Stan Bennett, his secretary was Maureen Hall. Class 1A was taught by RAM Tucker, his subjects were Maths and Music, Class 1B was Mr Shiels, what a bullying pig he was. A right sadist. Class 2A, that was Peter Skinner, English and Art, what a Gent and by contrast Mr. Brewin 2B taught PE. He was something different, he had weird ideas about discipline. He once whacked my backside with a cricket bat for taking a short cut on a cross country run. Class 3A, Les Worley, History, very strict but very fair, Class 3B Mr Spencer, the mad professor, he taught science. I am surprised that the school is still standing after some of his experiments. Class 4A, Geography taught by Tiny Johnson, Metalwork teacher Mr. Hatfield and Woodwork, Colin Lightfoot.

To sum it up, my school life was brilliant despite hard times and I often think about those days and the people who were in my classes.

When I visit Warsop it is sad to see its decline and I think that makes the memories more precious.

[/b]
AVO
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi AVO, welcome to the forum, i was a few years behind you but many of the teachers were the same, but some had altered as there are some you mention that i don't reconise.
Definetily know what you mean about Mr Brewin though :D :D
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Wow .. I work at Birklands and never knew that former inmates (I mean teachers) were the likes of Mr Brewin and Mr Skinner. They both taught me down at the Meden.
Can anyone remember which classrooms they taught in? - there are currently 3 classrooms downstairs on the Appleton Street side (only 2 used for teaching at the moment) originally there was 4. A further 2 classrooms are on the Woodland Grove side (two others have been joined to make the current Nursery. I'm assuming they were downstairs as I believe downstairs was the boys' school and upstairs was for the girls.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:02 am

I believe Mr Ellis, Mr Stokes and Mr Fenton all taught at Birklands School before moving to Meden in 1965
La Fiama

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories