Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby AVO » Thu May 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I don't remember the paddling pool but I do remember the council using it as a landfill site and dumping household waste there. I also remember a little boy drowning in the Mill Dam round about 1954 and I, along with other boys were used as messengers by the police and fire service. About 15 years later when I was a police officer at Stafford, I worked with that boys Grandfather. He was my Sergeant.
AVO
Lite Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Thu May 03, 2007 11:09 pm

The mill dam has claimed quite a few lives over the last 50 years :
La Fiama

Postby Digger » Sun May 06, 2007 2:16 pm

I fell in the paddling pool fully clothed as well. I was kneeling down reaching for something and never found out if someone knocked me in or I was pushed!! Luckily I was almost dry by the time I got home. :lol:
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

WOODS GARAGE

Postby sally cobb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi,

I was born and bred in Warsop but moved away on marriage. The garage in Warsop was owned by the Woods from Spion Kop. My grandad was Thomas Wood. The Wilkinsons were part of the family and the firm. Anyone out there related I would love to hear from you.

La Fiama wrote:I remember the garage on Church Street, they use the old mission hall/chapel as a car showroom, but I thought it belonged to the Woods family from Spion Kop. There used to be a fishing tackle shop next to the cottage on Church Street corner opposite Woodheads.

Pepperdays is were I used to go for my Airfix models and toy soldiers

I also remember Cresswells food store which shut after the new road went through
:lol:
sally cobb
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Sally, welcome to the forum, glad you've found us
I think you'll find there are several people on here either directly or indirectly related to your family. :wink:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby sally cobb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Thanks,

I'm trying to research the Wood's family tree so any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated. My email is sallycobb1@aol.com :roll:
sally cobb
Lite Registered User

Re: Warsop Schools

Postby dalenorris » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

AVO wrote:Hi, this is my first visit to Warsop Web, and I must admit that it is the best thing since sliced bread. The film clips and other memory lane topics opened the floodgates and memory lane suddenly became memory motorway. Having plucked up the courage to write this I decided to write my memories down on A4 paper and completely filled 3 sheets with in minutes, so I have decided that the school topics would be most appropriate. I lived in Warsop until May 1957 when my family moved to a small village just outside Nottingham, I was nearly 14 years old.

I went to Hetts Lane but cannot remember much about it, what I do remember, however, is walking to school with my friend, first from Titchfield Street and later from Oakfield Avenue when my Mum & Dad moved there.

I remember Sherwood Street school and some of the teachers. The Headmaster was Mr. Dobbs, after he retired he was found dead by the railway lines in Mansfield and I think the paper said that he suffered from some mental illness. Mrs. Brewster lived in Norton, Mrs Witham lived opposite Clumber Street and Ray Perry lived in a bungalow on the corner of Oakfield Avenue and Ridgeway Road. I think another of the teachers was Norman Seals, he had 2 children Adrian and Roslyn.

Burns Lane School became Birklands and the Headmaster was Stan Bennett, his secretary was Maureen Hall. Class 1A was taught by RAM Tucker, his subjects were Maths and Music, Class 1B was Mr Shiels, what a bullying pig he was. A right sadist. Class 2A, that was Peter Skinner, English and Art, what a Gent and by contrast Mr. Brewin 2B taught PE. He was something different, he had weird ideas about discipline. He once whacked my backside with a cricket bat for taking a short cut on a cross country run. Class 3A, Les Worley, History, very strict but very fair, Class 3B Mr Spencer, the mad professor, he taught science. I am surprised that the school is still standing after some of his experiments. Class 4A, Geography taught by Tiny Johnson, Metalwork teacher Mr. Hatfield and Woodwork, Colin Lightfoot.

To sum it up, my school life was brilliant despite hard times and I often think about those days and the people who were in my classes.

When I visit Warsop it is sad to see its decline and I think that makes the memories more precious.

[/b]

Can remember all the teachers you mention in the last paragraph. Indeed Stanley Bennett, was Godfather to my brother Martin.
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Facebook: dalenorris@telkomsa.net

Re: Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and aro

Postby Westmorland » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Peter Skinner died just over a year or so ago

Derek Brewin died of Cancer in the 1990s

Was Geography Teacher who you called Tiny Johnson, Ken Johnson?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby milldam » Mon May 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Warsop was brilliant a great place to grow up in.
Mymum still lives there great community, and I love to visit.
Honestly, I live in Derby now but as soon as I drive under the railway bridge from the cop,I start to feel young again and safe.

Message to all look after Warsop please.

Cheers

Milldam
milldam
Lite Registered User

Postby milldam » Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Cant remember mentioning Tiny Johnson, our Geography teacher was My Hughes origionally then Mr Hepworth I think.

Cant forget Boris though , he was great.

Cheers

Milldam
milldam
Lite Registered User

Postby VickiFearn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 pm

I remember walking to Sherwood Street school from home on Mansfield Road over Dawney Hill and coming home in the dark and fog of early '50s afternoons. I started school at Hetts Lane in 1951 in The Huts before going on to Sherwood Street, moved away to Warwickshire in 1958. I remember Miss Rolley, later Mrs Gabitas, Mr Perry (his daughter Hilary was in my class), Miss Willcox. Does anyone else? Victoria Fearn
VickiFearn
Lite Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 am

when i was at sherwood school cow going along ridgway way going to be milked in them days there was a farm just a cross the road from the church
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby focus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:11 am

in the fourtys a small holding where my grandad had suppllying veg to carlesss shop and meat to barry wettion in the fifty's in the sixtys i even helprd peter spencer in his supermarket .
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Mrs Gabitas was head mistress of Hetts Lane when I was there and I started in January 1960. My first class was in the huts which were very cosy with their big fire burner in the middle. Mr Perry taught me at Sherwood Street School.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 am

Caz wrote:Mrs Gabitas was head mistress of Hetts Lane when I was there and I started in January 1960. My first class was in the huts which were very cosy with their big fire burner in the middle. Mr Perry taught me at Sherwood Street School.

that would put you in one of my classes when i was there if i am right can you remember this hetts lane mrs ball miss holt mrs carlesss (mr calesss who had the shop on sherwood street) mrs johnson hetts lane mr johnson was at sherwood ( there daughter sarah was in ome of my classes ) and they lived just at the bottom of my street mr perry uaed to take me to sherwood in his car he only lives across the road from me. sherwood mr stokes heamaster mrs wells mrs righly mr wass my teatcher at sherwood he evern once bort my dad's car of him
focus
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories