Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around

Postby BILLY1488 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Lets hear some of your old memories then from in and around worsop.

I remember walking to the Fruit & Vege shop next to the bingo place (A60) every saturday and being given sweets by the kind man who worked there. I also remember the shop cross from sherwood street school where i used to buy a 10p mix. The best place was the sweet shop cross from birklands school. The lady was so friendly and always had a smile on her face also see would let me of with money if i didn't have enough. Remember playing on the railway running for my life from on coming trains. Playing kurby with my football. Going to the miners welfare on monday night after paying my 20p to get in. How i miss the good old days.
"Yeah but no but yeah but no but I soooo can't believe you just said that! ...",
BILLY1488
Lite Registered User

Postby Heidi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:35 pm

oh I remember going shopping in the supermarket where we now have scrooges and having cuppa in a cafe where we now have sommerfield well the car park entrace
use to love the cake :lol: shop on corner sherwood and clumber street
and even having a green groccer with lovely cakes at meden vale,
with a hairdresser there too....... how things have changed :roll:
I use to love comming over for our anual holidays from germany
to see the inlaws enjoy walking all the local markets
before two weeks where up and we be on way back to over there
many know my smile, but dont know what I feel...........
many hear what I say, but dont know what I think.....
many see what I write, but dont know the meaning behind it..
many say they know me, but only know what I look like....
Heidi
Lifetime Registered User

Postby oldbg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Having my hair cut at Eddie Mosses, 2/6d ! Picking my Mam up from VG on my Bonnieville, Carelesses veg shop, calling in the "first shop" opposite sherwood st school for a penny arrow bar., the smell of coffee in Spencers doorway, visiting the Nurses at the Town Hall, Poyntons toy shop, Doctors next door to Poyntons, Vics woodyard ( before the a60 ripped its profitable way through the middle of Warsop), getting the slipper at hetts lane.
I can feel the floodgates threatening!
oldbg
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Oh, I remember all those things as well! The corner cafe. Poyntons toy shop and the fishing tackle shop next door, was it called Dibbles? Eddie moss, a local legend, he also sold something for the weekend, though never to me!

Threepenny mixes from the sweet shop opposite Sherwood school, sports mixture, penny bubblies, fruit salad, black jacks arrow bars. The nurses at the Town Hall, with National Dried Milk, orange juice and cod liver oil - yuk! Standing in the queue with classmates, waiting for our injections!

I remember waiting for buses to Church Warsop outside the chemist next to Woodheads and watching for the bus coming through that big bottle of blue liquid they had in the window.

My dad was a fireman and in the summer he used to send me out onto the garden to listen for the siren that sounded at the Town Hall when there was a fire - they didn't have alerters then!

Oldbg - my first boyfriend had a 650 Bonneville - nice bike!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:44 pm

:roll: I'm far too young for all of that stuff :roll:
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Carnival, sometimes us older ones remember things from way back and forget more recent stuff. So come on refresh our memories with what childhood was like for you.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 pm

I remember everything was so much taller back then!

I remember a toy shop being on the corner of clumber street opposite don millars.

I got my remote controlled lorry with a yacht on its trailer from there. Took the yacht to the blue paddling pool on the carrs and it sank!

Can remember going into the VG with my mum and she would always get me a bag of those fish and chips biscuit snack things which I would eat on my way round and then she would pay for them at the end.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:23 pm

I remember VG and Cresswells and Mace
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:44 pm

I remember the old bus station being an indoor market with a cafe at the top end. I think someone who worked there liked the song 'Montego Bay' because it was always playing on the jukebox.

Even worse, do you remember the bus station when it was a bus station, before it was split up into two bits? It went from York Terrace (now KayJays windows) through to Church Street, of course that was before the new road was built. Buses could go in one end and come out the other. I vaguely remember it!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby La Fiama » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Im old but not that old :lol:
La Fiama

Postby Caz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Adrian, then you have a lot to look forward to. The older you get, the more memories you have to cherish!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BILLY1488 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Carnival wrote:fish and chips biscuit snack things

I remember those, my dad would always buy me them.
"Yeah but no but yeah but no but I soooo can't believe you just said that! ...",
BILLY1488
Lite Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:13 am

I remember bus conductors especially Mr Lake who was away on the school bus to Eastlands school at Welbeck
La Fiama

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:27 am

I had no idea that Warsop had a bus station. And hasn't the A60 always been there?
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:31 am

The inner relief road went through about 1978/79, there used to be Metheringhams butchers and Tylers shoe shop and the A60 came into Warsop over Dawney Hill and down the High Street and around Spencers corner.
La Fiama

Next

Return to Local History & Memories