Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Hello

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Hello

Postby Sanders » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 pm

I went to Sherwood Street in the 1950s and remember Mrs Riley very well. She was Brendan Riley's mum. I also remember the sweet shop up the WIndmill and the one across from the school, but wasn't it called Fretwells before it was Clements? I lived on what is now Cherry Grove, but when we went to live there it was called Sandy Lane. Does anyone remember the Corner Caff. It was a shack that stood next to the car park where the supermarket is now - sorry can't remember the supermarket name, but it's across from where Goffs Butchers and Derek Carr's newsagents shop. There was a lovely dark haired lady who ran the Caff, but i can't remember her name either, only that she lived up the Windmill.
Sanders
Lite Registered User

Postby m8tey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 am

I think Dot Elce worked in the cafe don't know if she ran it though. Before the cafe was there it used to be the VG supermarket. Winks garage was behind it before it was all knocked down for what is now Mills a Nisa store.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:39 pm

I think ir was Mrs Dawson that ran the cafe. I thought the cafe went before the VG supermarket was built.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Maybe it did lofty. the old grey matter aint as good as it used to be........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:03 am

I reckon the old wooden cafe went to make way for the VG and was replaced by a small brick buillt cafe, closer to the cottages.
It was owned by a lady called Doreen Kemp at that time, hence 'Doreen's cafe'.
That in it's turn was demolished when kwiksave bought the site.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mikeC » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't know the date of this photo, but presumably this shows the VG supermarket before Kwiksave's version:

mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:54 pm

It's from before the new road was built and the old bus station is still intact.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby em tee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:22 am

the cafe in question was named "Ada's cafe it was owned by Ada White (who was my mums cousin ) this was in 1960- 1961 and yes Mrs Dawson did run it as far as i can remember and yes she did live up near the windmill same person who made the ice cream.
em tee
em tee
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Nice photo Mike.

It also looks like Kwiksave was still "Wink" Wilkinson's garage at the time.
Also, Ben Jones's shop is still next to the Co-op
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Cheshire Cat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:17 am

I worked in the Co-op until 1976. Ben Jones shop was still there then. I also reckon the relief road was in place by then too.

I reckon the entrance to the VG shop was pretty much opposite Wood Street. A lot of the Bus Drivers used to use the cafe. I can't remember it going but I reckon the last cars that were sold out of the garage were Chryslers in about 73 or 74.
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby dalenorris » Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Reading through these comments, I picked up quite a few memories. I was born at 13, Laurel Avenue, Church Warsop, 1947 and lived their till I was 11. Moved down to Warsop, where i lived until I married, and left for Mansfield Woodhouse. Things i remember in those first 11 years from Church Warsop. Monty Caldwells horse drawn milk cart, taking jugs out, to get them filled.. Remember Tim Dennis, following it,(the horse) round the lower village, collecting the horse ****, for his roses. Monty, was a crafty business man, and he wasnt averse, to taking the tops off the milk churns, when it was raining. Am sure, some days, he went back, with more liquid than he set out with.Bob Pearces hairdresser in the back, grocery, in the front. Next door, Marjorie Jones, piano teacher. Mrs Langton,15, Laurel Ave, who had a good amount of apple trees in her garden, easy pickings, when you had the old fishing net, on a cane. Bakers buses. Caught them to Warsop Vale Primary School. Shimmying, across the metal pipe, at the back of Warsop Mill, over the water. My mum, never knew that. The bluebells in Church Warsop wood. Bookers pond. The boy who died was from Warsop Vale, think he was a Benner, but not sure. The newts and frogs, in Bookers pond. Black Pad. Ivan, our previously mentioned Duffle coated football supporter. ''Yer Li eeeer''. Mr Godson the fireman, who biked from Church Warsop, to Warsop, at a massive speed, to catch the fire engine, sometimes, putting his jacket on, ''no hands'' cycling. Amazing. And finally, Bonfire Night. When you could stand on our back garden, and look up the village, and see countless roaring bonfires. Hope these stir a few memories...........
dalenorris
Lite Registered User

Facebook: dalenorris@telkomsa.net

Previous

Return to Local History & Memories