Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Hello

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

shop name

Postby em tee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 am

The name of the shopkeeper opposite Sherwood St School was Fretwells as I lived in George St(Sandy Lane end) my dad used to send me for his smokes now and thento the shop, the hairdressers where next door.

Regards Mike T.
em tee
Lite Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 am

Well he was definitely called Harry Clements in my day ... think it may have been Fretwells before that perhaps.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:28 pm

When I went to Sherwood I don't think it was called Clements, though I know it did belong to them more recently.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Joan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:44 pm

It was called Fretwells and there was another one on the same side a bit further up the street and this was also a house. I think it was on the other side of Sandy lane. Don't think the business was as good there as it wsan't as close to the school and it didn't have the same frontage as Fretwells showing the fabulous display of goodies.

My best friend was Gilliam Parkin, became Walker, and sadly she has died but we went into Fretwells and bought, sweet tobbaco, jubblies and khali, also blackjacks - 4 for a penny.

I aso remember the fruitman calling outside our house on Friday nights and we were allowed either an apple or an orange.

Joan

Sweet memories.
Warsop Ale Suppers
Joan
Lite Registered User

Postby m8tey » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Caz wrote:I was born on Sycamore Street at Church Warsop and I remember Hunts shop just down the road from us. I used to love going there for coloured ice cream. That was in the late fifties but I seem to think rationing was only just finishing.

I remember Mrs Charles' shop on Sycamore and the shop next door was a Canadian family, but cant remember thier name.... but the son had the first skateboard i had ever seen, and if i remember correctly all the wheels were in line and not at the corners.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:35 pm

M8tey, I don't recall any Canadians or Mrs Charles being there but that was probably after Hunts left. We moved to Warsop at the end of 1959 though my Grandma lived on Sycamore Street for a good few years after that and I do remember new people being in the shops.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Fretwells definitely rings a bell with me.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby oldbg » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I knew there was a shop opposite bowrings! Im not mad!
Clements was also known as first shop.
Why have a shoulder if the wife cant look over it?
oldbg
Lite Registered User

School sweet shops

Postby Canuck » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:43 pm

The sweet shop at sherwood street school was built by Eastwoods in 1938 -1939 and Mr Fretwell was the original owner.

The sweet shop on Burns Lane at the bottom of Appleton Street, across from the school, was built by Eastwoods in 1937-1938 for a Mr Parkes. He worked at Welbeck Colliery as an official and lost an arm in an accident, the house was built from compensation and to provide a living.Ken Parkes was his son and we became very good friends along with Ronnie Mack and Terry Strickland who lived on Birkland Avenue before that street was extended round the corner.
The sweet shop that was at the side of the Picture House belonged to the Askew family who lived in the ajoining stone house, the Askews daughter was a teacher at Hetts Lane in the thirties. Memories !!
Canuck
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 pm

Coincidently, i've today found out a bit more information on the shop.

In 1929 Mr Fretwell (Sid, i think) bought 2 plots of land, one were the shop was and next door which is now the hairdressers. He built his house and shop, and the shop first opened in 1933. Mr Fretwell owned the shop upto approx 1964, when it was bought by a Mrs Scott. In the space of a few years, Mrs Scott sold to Mrs Wilson, Mrs Wilson sold to The Scotherns and in 1969, Harry Clements started to buy the shop. Unfortunately during the sale Mr Scothern died but Harry carried on with the now complicated sale and finally took over in August 1970.
He continued to run the shop until he shut it down in tragic circumstances in 1995 and a few years later converted it into a house.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Harry did the best 20p mixes :D
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby LT76 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:10 pm

the only sweet shops i remember are :

the ones opposite the birklands school and also the one that is now known as "Like grandma used to make" across from the library.
LT76
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 pm

LT76 wrote:the only sweet shops i remember are :

the ones opposite the birklands school and also the one that is now known as "Like grandma used to make" across from the library.

I think the one opposite the library was called "The Candy Box"
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:30 pm

Yes, it was the Candy Box.

When I was little there was also Careless's on Sherwood Street across from the black pad steps, Harrisons across from the Dog and Rabbit, Alices, futher down still and one that always opened on a Sunday up on High Street next to Kirks pet shop. There was also one opposite the bingo and one futher down near the doctors, though the doctors was across from the Town Hall in those days. Quite a few when you consider sweets were a bit of a treat in those days.

We used to buy 2 ounce of sweets from the big jars lined up on the shelves and it could take ages to decide which was your flavour of the day. :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Then there was Shooters at the bottom of Appleton Street and there was a sweet shop across from the old fire station, where the material shop is now. I can remember that one being open on a Sunday afternoon when everywhere else was closed.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories