Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Hello

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Hello

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:32 pm

I have just found this forum and haven't had time to go through it properly yet but i am well chuffed about all the memories and stuff. I was born on King Road in 1950 and the name then was BOOTH. I was a bellringer, church youth club goer and went to Manor. My brothers were Reg and John Hallam. Me mam was Freda Booth.

Does anyone remember Hooley's at Warsop Windmill?

I will be back!!

Best wishes Joan
Warsop Ale Suppers
Joan
Lite Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Yes I remember Hooley's.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Long walk but well worth the lemon bom boms at the end of it...............and \i remember seeing how many coconut marshmellows you could stuff in your mouth during evensong service sermon and getting the evil eye :oops: . we so deseved it

Joan x
Warsop Ale Suppers
Joan
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi Joan, love old memories. I'm about the same age as you and didn't live too far away, but i can't remember you. I was going to say your name dosn't ring a bell but from your post it obviously did :D
You went to a different school and i didn't go to the "Big Church"
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Digger » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Joan. When you say Hooleys at the Windmill, was that the little sweet shop, like a shed?
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Yes it was and it was open on Sunday afternoons. We moved from King Road 1954 ish ane went to live on the posh new council estate up Sherwood Street.

For the first time a bathroom and an indoor loo. What luxury!!!! :P

1957, I started Sherwood Street Juniors and I think my first teacher.s name was Mrs Riley. She was strict and I was scared of her.

Best wishes Joan
Warsop Ale Suppers
Joan
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:17 pm

I remember Mrs Riley at Sherwood Street. I started there in 1962. She must have mellowed by the time she taught me because I thought she was quite sweet. :lol:

I don't remember Hooley's though, so maybe that was a year or two before my time.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:22 pm

You didn't miss anything, Caz. It was a shed on the triangle of land opposite the entrance to Bowrings yard. It was like a little lane that cut through between the Warsop and Woodhouse roads. I can remember buying bottles of pop there when I went out on my bike. I think it just sold drinks and sweets.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:07 pm

I think you missed lots. We didn't have much money for sweets and so it was a real treat to be allowed to walk all the way up to Hooley's clutching a threepenny bit and taking ages to choose - an adventure of a sorts cos it was a long walk (but safe) for us littluns for just rewards. My brothers remembered the little shop and my youngest brother who isn't far off 70, forgive me bro, can remember he did it as a child. - paper round money well a little of it cos mam had to have most of it. Joan
Warsop Ale Suppers
Joan
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:16 pm

I was born on Sycamore Street at Church Warsop and I remember Hunts shop just down the road from us. I used to love going there for coloured ice cream. That was in the late fifties but I seem to think rationing was only just finishing.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 am

There was also a sweet shop across the road from Sherwood Street school. Did it change into a hairdressers, or is it now a house? It had a tarmacced area in front of it where all the other houses had gardens.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tania » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:38 am

Its now a house, I use to be allowed down to that shop on my own when I was about 10 as I lived up conrete canyon and could walk all the way down without crossing the road. Trying to think of the name of it, anyone know?
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:05 am

I think it was Clements.
The hairdressers is a small wooden building next to it
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Tania » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 am

That's it!
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:36 am

I used to go to the very same sweet shop .. it was called Clements but we all called it Harry's.
Still see Harry walking around Warsop from time to time. The shop was very much like Arkwrights from open All hours as I recall :lol: !
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Next

Return to Local History & Memories