Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Hello

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby Digger » Sun May 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Thank heavens there's 2 of us!! Even though I no longer have family in Warsop I still come over for 6-7 games a season, and watch them when they're over this way. Unfortunately missed the Bury game yesterday as I had to go to Birmingham sorting out family affairs from our last bereavement. Roll on next season and let's hope Haslam rolls off somewhere else!!
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Re:

Postby Berts » Wed May 13, 2009 5:17 pm

m8tey wrote:
Caz wrote:I was born on Sycamore Street at Church Warsop and I remember Hunts shop just down the road from us. I used to love going there for coloured ice cream. That was in the late fifties but I seem to think rationing was only just finishing.

I remember Mrs Charles' shop on Sycamore and the shop next door was a Canadian family, but cant remember thier name.... but the son had the first skateboard i had ever seen, and if i remember correctly all the wheels were in line and not at the corners.

The name was Shaw and the son was called Derek.They moved to "the trough" at wuddus in about 71 I think.
We were at Mansfield College of Art together.
I was born on Lime Crescent and lived with my grandparents until I moved to Warsop when I started at Burn's Lane
Sure I must know most of you :?
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members. Groucho Marx
Berts
Lite Registered User

Re: Hello

Postby Caz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Mmm, you mean there are other forum members who are as old as me! :oops: :roll:

The fifties were my pre-school years! We lived with my grandma at Church Warsop then I moved to Warsop in late 1959 and lived with my Aunt for three months as my mum was in hospital having my brother. He was born in the early hours of 1st January 1960, the first baby of the decade. My Aunt took me to school on my first day, Hetts Lane. My mum came out of hospital mid January and we all moved to Warsop.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Wed May 13, 2009 7:34 pm

There are some of us who are older! :(
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mr50p » Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 pm

:) and younger :D
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 am

Well, I wasn't going to mention you and Whitey Digger! :wink:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Pterosaur » Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Clements was a favourite for the Sherwood Street School kids. I recall in the 60's a spate of thefts from the shop. Harry made a rule that only 2 children were allowed in at a time. This lasted for some weeks and I can still recall hoards of kids queuing outside the shop to be let in at lunch time (probably a dozen in reality). My recollection of Hooleys shop was a rickety old black shed with a drop down shutter at the window. We used to stop off there when we had been walking in the woods at White Gates, especially if we had been picking blackberries of chestnuts.
Pterosaur
Lite Registered User

Re: Re:

Postby m8tey » Thu May 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Berts wrote:
m8tey wrote:
Caz wrote:I was born on Sycamore Street at Church Warsop and I remember Hunts shop just down the road from us. I used to love going there for coloured ice cream. That was in the late fifties but I seem to think rationing was only just finishing.

I remember Mrs Charles' shop on Sycamore and the shop next door was a Canadian family, but cant remember thier name.... but the son had the first skateboard i had ever seen, and if i remember correctly all the wheels were in line and not at the corners.

The name was Shaw and the son was called Derek.They moved to "the trough" at wuddus in about 71 I think.
We were at Mansfield College of Art together.
I was born on Lime Crescent and lived with my grandparents until I moved to Warsop when I started at Burn's Lane
Sure I must know most of you :?

Your right there Bert, their name was Shaw. I think you will be more Caz's age which puts you about 20 years older than me........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu May 14, 2009 9:19 pm

You wish M8tey! :roll: :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Bob » Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 am

Hi folks,
Sorry not been in for ages :( But some wicked memories in this thread lol.

I went to Sherwood Street school from 60 to 64 and remember Fretwells shop, he used to have three trays of toffees for the kids, the 1/2d tray, 1d and 1,1/2d boy that seems like nothing now lol but we used to have a feast with our pocket money. I remember the sweet shop on Warsop windmill crossroads as well, not thought of that for years, we used to buy a bottle of pop when we went up the Three Corner Wood or to the Parliment Oak.

I dont know how many forum members have moved away from Warsop and still visit, but recently i visited my sister up Mount Crescent and i got awesome childhood memories as i drove down from the windmill thinking of the orchards we used to scrump in and the damn huge dog Nurse Pearce had that roamed her orchard on Sherwood Street, her little wooden bungalow long gone now and is a cul de sac with houses on. Just down from there is a big house set back next to bungalows built in the 60s below Mount Crescent and they had a sweet shop in their house lol, ah happy days :D keep smiling,

Bob.
If you cant be good, at least be funny :)
Bob
Lite Registered User

Facebook: Search for me using rgc117@aol.com

Stubbins from Shirebrook

Postby Houghtonjd » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Does anyone remember or know of my Grandfather Willoughby (Bill) Stubbins?, born in Shirebrook. One of his siblings was a brother by the name of Ben Stubbins.
Houghtonjd

Postby langameringue » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:00 am

I was born in the 'Old-Part'... there was a sweet shop on the corner of York Terrace/Wood St. taken over in the late '60s by Mr. Fowler (can't remember the name of the previous owner). When he sold up it became a car repairers/tyre fitters.

Furthur along was the' Launderama' and Creswells supermarket.

Corner of Wood St/Victoria St was a Butchers and over the road the Cooperative.

a particular favourite of ours was 'Watsons'. . . .weren't those Wagon Wheels and penny Arrow Bars huge in the '60s and over the years they got smaller n smaller :lol:
No matter where you go-There you are!
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby edwinstoe » Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 am

yes i also remember the shop being called fretwells.my mum also worked at the petrol station across from sherwood school for a little while.our last name is land.
edwinstoe
Lite Registered User

Postby yvonnep5261 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Just been scrolling thro' these posts - and thought I would mention two of the ladies I go to see in the course of my work - I'm sure some of you must remember a Mrs. McCarthy as she was a school teacher for many years. She tells me her father used to own the Talbot when she was a young girl.
Another lady - Mrs. Duckmanton came over from Germany just a couple of years after the war to marry Sam Duckmanton so she has many memories of Warsop too as she has lived here for over sixty years now.
Both ladies are now in their 90's.
yvonnep5261
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 pm

You know, it would be lovely to get some stories of old Warsop from these elderly residents. My dad used to love telling me his childhood memories and I could have learned so much about our local history, if only I'd started listening to him sooner. We really should take note before it's too late!! :(
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories