Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Harry Bletcher Remembers

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Harry Bletcher Remembers

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:09 am

Now living in Canada, former Warsopian Harry Bletcher started writing to me three or four years ago with some of his memories including the story of Samuel Fell Wilson's murder. That article led to me getting a lovley letter from Felica Hannah, the daughter of Samuel Fell Willson, who now lives in Spain and wanted to contact Harry. Her daughter in Australia had read Harry's story on Warsop Web and had told her mother about it.

I haven't heard from Harry for a while but had this e.mail tonight.

Hello Carol, - I have really enjoyed reading the Warsop website and all the items in it, they have given me lots of good memories and moments in time that I have experienced when I lived in Warsop.It brought back the happy school days and teen years, the friends I made, thank you for the website you created.

It was a pleasure to contact Mrs Elsie Stubbins, who was my teacher in the Hetts Lane Infants school, I shared my Canadian life with her and she told me of the great number of children she had the pleasure of teaching, I was pleased that Council recognised this when I wrote to the Town Clerk about it.

I have not been in good health recently and that is why I have not joined in any discussions, I have always been interested in what is happening in Warsop and I will continue to read about it while I can.

I think the article I wrote about Mr Fell Wilson and his death brought out a lot of comment and the highlight of that was the letter from his wife to tell us about the aftermath of his death and what happened to her and her daughter.I just wish that you had the email address of the daughter to follow up on the story with her.

I have just celebrated my 80th birthday and 56 years wedding anniversary so I have had a good and enjoyable life and along the way I have been fortunate enough to meet wonderful people and good friends, what more can a person ask for.

Thank you for your friendship Carol, - By for now, Harry Bletcher.

Read some of Harry's articles http://www.warsopweb.co.uk/articles/index.htm
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:40 pm

Harry contacted me a couple of years ago after I had a letter printed in the Warsop paper by Tania. My grandparents lived in a cottage on Dawney Hill where the Catholic Church now stands. His aunt lived in a cottage in the same yard, Orchard Yard. Subsequently he remembered most of my aunts and uncles, only two of whom are still alive. Unfortunately after a couple of e-mails the exchanges finished.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:19 am

Caz what a nice man and a lovely e-mail. I am going to read his articles shortly.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:26 am

He is a nice man and it scares me a bit when I don't hear from him for a while. :cry:

I do know that he reads this forum but doesn't post to it. I really wish he would he's a mine of information! I could do with a few more stories from the older generation as they're fascinating to listen to and we need to record them before they're lost forever.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Jacqualine » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 pm

I agree with you there Caz

I have always liked listening to old storys how things where done many moons ago

people do have a tail or two to tell and i have allways enjoyed listening to them

so if you know some one who can tell us anything intresting no matter how boring it might seem just tell it anyway.
It's nice to be Important, but Important to be nice.
Jacqualine
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:06 pm

Another e.mail I just got from Harry. Harry, you really must join the forum so you can write to it direct and answer some of the other posts on here.

Hello again,

I was reading the comments that were made about the various teachers you had at Burns Lane school, I know I was there in a different time and there was also a war going on too, my teachers were Mr Hayward, Mr Gagg, Mr Johnson, Mr Worley,Mr Perry, Mr Carr, and the headmaster was Mr Sid Bennett.When I was in Mr Gagg's class, Form 2A of 1939 to 1940 year I was awarded a Star Record prize book which was a book on the Royal Air Force to encourage recruits. I still have this book after 67 years and have been told it could be worth a lot of money, I will never part with it. Mr Gagg had the best hand writing of anyone I have seen, I believe he went out to Lincoln way as a headmaster.

In Mr Johnsons class I became the head monitor for Mr Bennett, who had accepted the position of Chief Air Raid Officer for the town of Warsop, because of this I was taking official mail back and forth to the Town Hall.Mr Bennett would let the teachers know he was available to see them by walking up the corridors and letting go with his smokers cough which everyone recognised.It was sad to hear later that he had fell down the steps at the Conservative Club and was killed.

It is strange how small things change your life or what might have been, I passed the eleven plus exams to go to Brunts School at Mansfield, because of my large family there was no clothing coupons to spare to have the Brunts School uniform made, there was no money available either.I went to work in Mansfield at Maun Industries and was taught welding, I never realised it would become the means to have a good life in Canada.
Little things make a big difference.

Harry Bletcher
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Another e.mail I just got from Harry - he's on the ball tonight.

Hello again to all,

I was talking about little things that change your life, in 1957 the price of bread went up one penny a loaf, we throw pennies away today, well I went to the travel office on Regent Street and that was how we came to Canada.
My brother told me that a teacher he had at Burns Lane school had gone to British Columbia on the west coast the year before, he got me Mr Bill Johnson's address in a place called Crescent Beach, near Vancouver.
When I arrived in Vancouver I got work in 10 days and I phoned Bill Johnson and told him who I was and about my brother. He came to Vancouver to pick me up and I met his wife Mabel and two children, they had friends over too and made me feel welcome, they had made Potato salad and I had never heard of it or liked it,my wife makes it now and it is the best,
Bill and Mabel were very good friends, is there anyone who remembers Bill Johnson at Burns Lane in the early fifties.

When I went to my first job it was on Vancouver Island, I arrived at the construction camp on a Thursday in June,the next morning I went down to the job site to the foreman who told me that everyone would be going home to Vancouver at lunch time, I asked him why.He said it is a long holiday weekend and we come back on Monday and start work on Tuesday.I asked why and he said it is Canada Day Monday, a National holiday on July 1st.We have to learn these things.Now we are proud canadian citizens with a British passport.
Anyone remember Bill.?

Harry.

I've talked Harry through getting onto the forum, so I'm sitting here with fingers crossed that he manages to do it! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Harry also sent me this picture with this message:

Hello Carol and friends,

This is a pic of the 1943 to 1944 under 18 years Church Warsop Welfare football team, I wonder if any of you younger ones are related to anyone on the pic or know if they are still around. I know that Colin Rawson and Roy Brown both went on to play professional football. I am getting a few things put together and will share my memories with you of my life in Warsop and also a few things of my life in Canada.

Back row, Don Chambers, Jim Peters, Les ?,

Middle row, Phil Taylor, Tucker Denison, Harry Bletcher,

Front row, Tom the manager, Ivan Hickton, Roy Brown, Cliff ?, Colin Rawson, Tom Bradshaw, Maurice Nichols,

Tom the manager worked in the office at Warsop Main Pit,he was a really good man.
Maurice Nichols parents were the school caretakers at Sherwood Street school.

I will watch for any info you may have,

Harry Bletcher.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:10 am

Digger wrote:Harry contacted me a couple of years ago after I had a letter printed in the Warsop paper by Tania. My grandparents lived in a cottage on Dawney Hill where the Catholic Church now stands. His aunt lived in a cottage in the same yard, Orchard Yard. Subsequently he remembered most of my aunts and uncles, only two of whom are still alive. Unfortunately after a couple of e-mails the exchanges finished.
Digger - I think I may have had a message from you about Orchard Yard - Tammie Wood started the topic by e.mailing me and it turned into a debate that we also published in the paper. I don't know if you've already seen the 'Articles' section but you'll find it here http://www.warsopweb.co.uk/articles/orchardyard.htm
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Yes, I did see those thanks. I've been off the air for the last week as my last aunt, Rita, passed away last week and I've been going back and forth to Redditch arranging the funeral as she had no other relatives. Harry remembered the family at Orchard Yard and of course, when I found her birth certificate it was on there, number 2 they lived at.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Caz I wonder if the teacher Mr Carr, was the same man that was my headmaster at Warsop Vale junior school. He must have taken over as headmaster around about 1967/68 After Mr Charlton retired.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm

I don't know but maybe Harry does. He is a forum member and comes on now and then, so hopefully he'll have an answer for you.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:56 pm

There was definetly some long serving teachers at Burns Lane. I started there in 1960 and Sid Bennett was still the headmaster, with Messrs Worly, Johnson and Perry still there also.
I still saw Mr Perry on a regular basis, but now you mention him, i have not seen him for a while now (about a year , i think), thats a bit worrying.

Roy Brown was a near neighbor until a few years ago.

Harry, was you a relative of the Bletchers on Sookholme Drive, as i lived a couple of doors away from them for 20 odd years
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby m8tey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:13 pm

whitevanman wrote:There was definetly some long serving teachers at Burns Lane. I started there in 1960 and Sid Bennett was still the headmaster, with Messrs Worly, Johnson and Perry still there also.
I still saw Mr Perry on a regular basis, but now you mention him, i have not seen him for a while now (about a year , i think), thats a bit worrying.

Roy Brown was a near neighbor until a few years ago.

Harry, was you a relative of the Bletchers on Sookholme Drive, as i lived a couple of doors away from them for 20 odd years

Was that Roy Brown off of Sycamore street Whitey, cos i thought of him straight away?
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 pm

I don't know if he ever lived on Sycamore, but he lived on Laurel for many years until he moved to Old Church Warsop and then sadly passed away.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Next

Return to Local History & Memories