Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Welbeck Abbey

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Welbeck Abbey

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 pm

I wanted to go on that as well but I think I was away anyhow. I'd love to go on a tour there if there's another. My dad always said he'd be the first in the door if they opened it and I said I'd be right next to him. Have you read the Gentle Mole story on the Articles page that my dad wrote? http://www.warsopweb.co.uk/articles/history/mole.htm
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Daisy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 pm

I really like the Gentle Mole story and feel really privelidged to have been in the Abbey and some of the tunnels. It is such a shame its not open to the public, they could make some serious money and that could help with the massive costs - it was permanently being repaired, water used to run down some of the tunnels like a river when it rained!

I can imagine most haunted being filmed there, Yvette Fielding in the Tunnels with Dereck Acorah....
ImageImage
Daisy
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Lady Anne as just passed away, aged 92.
http://www.chad.co.uk/news/Lady-Anne-Be ... 4832950.jp
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:39 am

That's sad news but she's had a good innings. She was a nice lady, I met her a few times. I wonder if the heir is her nephew, Joe, who runs the farm shop at the Dukeries? He's a nice lad as well.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:33 am

I think the heir might be William Parente who is the son of the Duke of Portland's youngest daughter, Lady Margaret Parente. Lady Anne was his eldest daughter, but never married.
William Parente was recently the High Sheriff of Nottingham.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Cheshire Cat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Whoever it is I guess they will be having a few inheritance tax headaches over the next few months

Chesh
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm

whitevanman wrote:I think the heir might be William Parente who is the son of the Duke of Portland's youngest daughter, Lady Margaret Parente. Lady Anne was his eldest daughter, but never married.

The Daily Mail confirms this :roll:
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Ahh, then as Joe's surname is Parente, William will probably be his dad. I know Joe lives on the estate and is the one behind the farm and farm shop.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Wonder what his title will be.
It can't be the Duke of Portland, as this died with the last duke in 1990 (no male offspring)
The Earl of Portland is currently a distant relative, Timothy Bentinck, whose an actor but as never actually used his title. An earl is a lot lower than a duke anyway.

Theoretically, the queen can restore the dukedoom if she wants, but will she.

Another strange thing i've just found out is that she actually died on the 21st, it took 10 days before it was made public, for such a high profile figure, that's wierd.
(could this start another conspiracy theory :lol: )
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Yes, I thought that was a bit strange that a national newspaper says she died on 21st December. I wonder why. Did they get the date wrong? I wonder if they'll reinstate the title of Duke then if the Queen has the power to do it, we should petition her to do so. I think it would be nice to have another Duke living in the Dukeries and the family is well known for their generousity to charitable causes. I understood the title of Duke went to some other relation but the estate was all bequethed to Lady Anne as the last Duke only had two daughters. I think I read that somewhere when my dad was researching the Gentle Mole, but I can't remember where. Think I'll have to get the history books out! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:39 am

I was talking to a close associate of Lady Anne today, and the actual date of passing away was 3pm on Monday 29th Dec. at her home in Holbeck Woodhouse.
All 4 of the daily's that reported it online got the date wrong (21st) :roll: . The Chad reported it the next day but didn't give a date.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:54 pm

So according to the peerage, Don William Parente, is the grandson of the last Duke of Portland to reside at Welbeck. He had only two daughters so the title of Duke didn't pass down, it went sideways to his brother but it died out, though the estate did pass down to his first daughter, Lady Anne. She had no children, but her sister Lady Margeret had a son, Don William Parente, who Welbeck estate passes down to and who lives on the estate with his wife Alison and their daughter and son, Daisy and Joe. Surely the Dukedom should come back to Welbeck now. Should we petition the Queen?

2.2.5.2.1.2.William Cavendish-Bentinck, Duke of Portland (1893-1977), m.1915 Honourable Ivy Gordon-Lennox (1887-1982)
2.2.5.2.1.2.1.Lady Anne Cavendish-Bentinck (*1916)
2.2.5.2.1.2.2.Lady Margaret Cavendish-Bentinck (1918-1955), m.1950 Don Gaetano Parente, Prince di Castel Viscardo
2.2.5.2.1.2.2.1.Don William Parente (*1951), m.1981 Alison Jane Swan (*1948)
2.2.5.2.1.2.2.1.1.Donna Daisy Parente (*1981)
2.2.5.2.1.2.2.1.2.Don Joseph Parente (*1983)
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm

The funeral is at Cuckney church at 2pm on Monday and is completely open for anyone to attend.

This is immediately followed by a private burial service at Holbeck Church (were all the ancestors are buried)
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi everyone,

As i grew up in Warsop in the mid 60's i became a friend of a lad who's dad was the local policeman in Cuckney and lived in the police house there, that was Chris Bentley. He was granted free access around Welbeck Abbey grounds and i remember cycling around with him, the Greendale Oak was still standing (well sort of) though it looked in a sorry state :(
I remember seeing what looked like a huge greenhouse and when we went up and looked in, it was actually one of the tunnel entrances and hanging up inside it on the tunnel walls where canoes that the Army used on the lakes, i think there might have been some sailing dingies too on trailers.
Probably one of my daftest memories was going up there with Chris and messing around with a couple of model boats we had made, in the outdoor swimming pool. Looking back we just saw it as everyday stuff that kids do, yet i suppose with hind sight we where quite privileged and did not even realise it at the time.

Ah happy days lol, Bob.
If you cant be good, at least be funny :)
Bob
Lite Registered User

Facebook: Search for me using rgc117@aol.com

PreviousNext

Return to Local History & Memories