Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Welbeck Abbey

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Welbeck Abbey

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:56 pm

I have read in today's Worksop Guardian that Welbeck Abbey may be turned into luxury apartments :shock:
La Fiama

Postby Rossi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:24 pm

I can well imagine that's gonna cause a whole lot of contraversy around the area :shock:
Rossi
Lifetime Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't think it's the Abbey but it may be the buildings where the Army college was.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that Lady Anne is still resident in part of the Abbey, but it's likely the college part will be developed as that's managed independantly.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

As you go over Cuckney Hill and look just right of north ( approx 1 o'clock position), just below the horizon, you can see a large house/ mansion in a large grassy clearing. I know this is not the Abbey, but what is it? It appears it is in the Welbeck grounds. I have wondered this for many years, but no one seems to know.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:28 pm

That is the new Welbeck Abbey were Lady Ann Cavendish Bentinck , the Duchess of Portland hangs out. I believe its known as Welbeck Woodhouse and you get to it off the Worksop Road that runs through Carburton
La Fiama

Postby 50s YOOF! » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 pm

A few years back rumours spread that welbeck estates were going to sell off all the lodges, sitting tenants getting first refusal,i dont think any have been sold just let out.
It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
50s YOOF!
Lite Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:40 pm

I think they wait until after the Lady Ann period before doing anything like that.

Some of the Lodges on the estate away from the road are quite nice, as are some of the houses
La Fiama

Postby m8tey » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:53 pm

Is it true that there is a tunnel running from the Abbey towards woodhouse?
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 pm

i believe so
La Fiama

Postby Daisy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi
First post so be gentle with me, been lurking for months and finally plucked up courage to post!

I used to work at Welbeck College before they relocated, I have been in the tunnels and the underground ballroom and they are unique. I believe Lady Ann does live in the house you can see as you drive over Cuckney Hill. She did sometimes attend the Passing Out Parades and the Summer balls held at the end of term. Her nephew lived in half the main Abbey house which also housed some of the students and staff (I heard he was a bit of a naturist but never actually witnessed it).
It would cost a fortune to turn any of the buildings into apartments the whole place was dropping to bits. I would like to have seen it transformed into a hotel/spa, there is a lake and gorgeous grounds for relaxing in.
Daisy
Lite Registered User

Postby Digger » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:25 am

So have the army moved out then and if so, when?
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:53 am

The army students moved out some months ago. My dad wrote an article on the Abbey and I've had lots of e.mails from people who were students there or worked there and one from a lady whose relation did some art work there, so it has quite a lot of interest.

The article is called the Gentle Mole and is still here on the website under the Articles section http://www.warsopweb.co.uk/articles/history/mole.htm
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby snickersneeze » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:10 am

Daisy wrote:Hi
First post so be gentle with me, been lurking for months and finally plucked up courage to post!

I used to work at Welbeck College before they relocated, I have been in the tunnels and the underground ballroom and they are unique. I believe Lady Ann does live in the house you can see as you drive over Cuckney Hill. She did sometimes attend the Passing Out Parades and the Summer balls held at the end of term. Her nephew lived in half the main Abbey house which also housed some of the students and staff (I heard he was a bit of a naturist but never actually witnessed it).
It would cost a fortune to turn any of the buildings into apartments the whole place was dropping to bits. I would like to have seen it transformed into a hotel/spa, there is a lake and gorgeous grounds for relaxing in.

hello daisy!
snickersneeze
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks for that link, Caz. My gran and mum used to tell me about the tunnels and underground ballroom so i never doubted that they existed. It's a pity that there's not more about them.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Local History & Memories