Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Supasave David Lee Warsop

Do you remember....? Join in discussions of Warsop and its local history, and share your memories of the good times from the past with other locals.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Supasave David Lee Warsop

Postby KevC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi
I am trying to find out information on the Supasave Group which I believe existed in the 1970's in Notts, and was started in Warsop, possibly by a David LEE. In particular it would be helpful if I could obtain a list of stores in the Group, especially if this included a store in Newark on Trent. (The store address would also be helpful). Please let me know if you can help - many thanks!

This may help: (Entry by 'Caz' on this forum, Sunday 11th March 2007):
No Legz, I'm not being short-sighted at all! You're absolutely right about large supermarkets killing local shops and that's why I opposed the building of a Tesco in Warsop a few years ago. You don't have to argue with me about that. I've already said my bit and fully agree with what you're saying! Though it's a little ironic as Warsop was a pioneer of supermarkets almost 50 years ago when David Lee took over his dad's hardware store on Sherwood Street (who remembers that?) and opened Leefair, which he later changed to Supasave and started the chain.

'Caz' was listed as: F/T Web Team Manager (NCC), P/T Teacher (WEA), Spare Time Warsop Webmaster,
KevC
Lite Registered User

Re: Supasave David Lee Warsop

Postby Westmorland » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:59 pm

There was a store on Sherwood Street Warsop were Scrooges now is and a large store on Church Street Mansfield which has since been demolished and the Nat West Bank now stands in its place

They also had a small warehouse at Welbeck near to the Dukeries Garden Centre
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 pm

All I know is pretty much what I posted and mostly from memory, which isn't always detail perfect these days.

As far as I remember, David Lee took over his Dad's hardware store on Sherwood Street, turned it into a supermarket called Leefair, then later changed the name to Supasave and opened more stores. The family used to live in Warsop many moons ago but I think David moved to Caunton. He had a hand in developing Dukeries garden centre about 35 years ago but it's had several different owners since.

I don't know where you'd get a list of stores from, or anyone else who might be able to help. Sorry!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Cheshire Cat » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 pm

I remember when the store opened in Mansfield it was marketed as the first in Europe with an escalator for shopping trolleys.

Didn't David Lee have a shop on a ship. Kind of a booze cruise idea but selling more than booze?
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Return to Local History & Memories