Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Caravans on Carrs

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

Re: Caravans on Carrs

Postby Caz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 am

There are plenty of designated areas for travellers. I don't see why they should be allowed to park just anywhere and not pay taxes or anything for the upkeep of the areas they randomly park in. Those of us who live in Warsop, pay towards the upkeep of The Carrs and it's a facility for us to use, as it is, part of it cannot be used because there are caravans and vehicles parked there and quite frankly, they're a blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape.

They've been there for a few days now and there are no facilities for toilet or waste disposal, so what are they doing about that?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 am

They choose to live this lifestyle, however they also want to live in the local community but on their terms and not everybody elses.

Do they pay taxes? National Insurance, Council tax? How are there children educated?

Someone who i know who worked at the Department of Works and Pensions said they have problems with this 'moving traveller community, as they claim benefits but have no permanent address, they then move on and claim benefits in another area and often or not can be receiving duplicate benefits and overpayments as the system can not reconcile their details.

They only want to be part of the system when it benefits them.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 am

forgot to mention, there is a free garden down at Meden Vale they can use whilst the owner is in Spain :lol: ;)
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Whether they get benefits or not, I don't know. That's not my complaint. They're on a piece of land in my community, they don't have a right to be there and they're spoiling the view and stopping locals from using it. Call me one of the IMBY brigade if you like, but I call it caring for my community.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:26 pm

If I was you Caz I would get straight down there do a bit of banging on the caravan doors and tell them in no uncertain terms to P*ss Off! ;) :lol: :lol:
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Mustaine wrote:Pfft!. I stand by every word. I'm not one of the NIMBY brigade either.

There's a large community of them in Worksop. The kids frequent a certain establishment there. They can't read, are rude, filthy - they wipe crap on the loo walls - and have been caught doing it and in general Worksop would be better off without them. I also got into an argument with 2 of them (who were old enough to know better) firing stones from a catapult at ducklings on the canal ... only to be told " f.. off you slag!". So I think calling them scum bags was a bit too polite on my part.

Society has gone soft!

Just like any council estate in most of the country.

mikeC wrote:
BigAl wrote:

So its ok for them to be moved to somewhere else and give someone else the problem :?: :?:

:D

But I thought you were saying that they weren't a problem, so you won't mind it if we send them over to you? :lol:

Adrian Hardy wrote:forgot to mention, there is a free garden down at Meden Vale they can use whilst the owner is in Spain :lol: ;)

Send them over i do not have a problem with them.
As i have already said I am not saying they are not a problem in some cases, I will certainly sit and have a brew with them and treat them like i would any other person. :D :D

A couple of weeks ago we were clearing out at my parents house in MV, we had a skip and a van from the ones that stay in the Pleasley area pulled up, knocked on the door and ask if they could have a look in the skip and remove any metal and a few bits, not a problem and i went out with them and had a chat. It turns out that one of them has a degree in biology and wants to work in a science lab but because of his parents have opted to live the way they do he was even refused an interview. He told me there were 3 of them all with degrees from Nottingham and Leicester universities who were in the same boat. Makes me wonder if one day someone like this will be responsible for paying out my pension or something like that.

I have the feeling that it is more the attitude of some of the general public and the stigma attached to them by the said public is as much the problem as anything else.
Makes me feel even better having left the rat race behind and learn't to sit back and see things from different angles.

Rant over, back to my caravan to sit and have a long cool beer and watch the world go by :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:39 pm

BigAl wrote:
Mustaine wrote:Pfft!. I stand by every word. I'm not one of the NIMBY brigade either.

There's a large community of them in Worksop. The kids frequent a certain establishment there. They can't read, are rude, filthy - they wipe crap on the loo walls - and have been caught doing it and in general Worksop would be better off without them. I also got into an argument with 2 of them (who were old enough to know better) firing stones from a catapult at ducklings on the canal ... only to be told " f.. off you slag!". So I think calling them scum bags was a bit too polite on my part.

Society has gone soft!

Just like any council estate in most of the country.

mikeC wrote:
BigAl wrote:

So its ok for them to be moved to somewhere else and give someone else the problem :?: :?:

:D

But I thought you were saying that they weren't a problem, so you won't mind it if we send them over to you? :lol:

Adrian Hardy wrote:forgot to mention, there is a free garden down at Meden Vale they can use whilst the owner is in Spain :lol: ;)

Send them over i do not have a problem with them.
As i have already said I am not saying they are not a problem in some cases, I will certainly sit and have a brew with them and treat them like i would any other person. :D :D

A couple of weeks ago we were clearing out at my parents house in MV, we had a skip and a van from the ones that stay in the Pleasley area pulled up, knocked on the door and ask if they could have a look in the skip and remove any metal and a few bits, not a problem and i went out with them and had a chat. It turns out that one of them has a degree in biology and wants to work in a science lab but because of his parents have opted to live the way they do he was even refused an interview. He told me there were 3 of them all with degrees from Nottingham and Leicester universities who were in the same boat. Makes me wonder if one day someone like this will be responsible for paying out my pension or something like that.

I have the feeling that it is more the attitude of some of the general public and the stigma attached to them by the said public is as much the problem as anything else.
Makes me feel even better having left the rat race behind and learn't to sit back and see things from different angles.

Rant over, back to my caravan to sit and have a long cool beer and watch the world go by :D :D

Al,
don't be so naive in believing everything they tell you.
If the three of them really have a degree as they claim, it proves that thieving and travelling around doing tarmac jobs etc pays better than holding down a well paid legal job.
These same people who you so kindly gave your scrap to, came to my door when I was out (saw them on cctv) to ask about the scrap at the side of my house. As I wasn't at home to give them permission to take it, they just threw it into their van and drove off!
According to the ones you spoke to, they didn't get an interview because of their parents lifestyle. Bullsh*t.. How could they have done 3 years at university to gain their degree ?
They must have given their addresses to the university when they enrolled, so why couldn't they give the same address when they wanted an interview?
They must all be in their early twenties, so they could cut their mothers apron strings and rent somewhere to live, and THEN get a well paid job!!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Quite possibly true but i can only go on what he told me. I do know for a fact that you don't need a permanent address for uni, just a contact address in the uk and telephone number,( mine was in Germany ) when our daughter was in education over here. :D and they happen to have been there for over 10 years.

The point i'm trying to make is that you can't tar them all with the same brush or every council estate in the country be classed as the same when everyone knows they ain't.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I do agree we shouldn't tar people with the same brush, but you can't blame people for being wary and not trusting them, given past experiences. When someone parks up with no regard for the community or whether they're trespassing, it doesn't create a good impression.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't blame anyone for being wary and not trusting others :D

Trespassing :?: :?: not too sure if you can trespass on public land :D :D means i'd be in trouble most of the time i go fishing :) but i do get your point ;)
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:If I was you Caz I would get straight down there do a bit of banging on the caravan doors and tell them in no uncertain terms to P*ss Off! ;) :lol: :lol:

It looks like CAZ must have taken my advice as they have now moved on.....don't know what mess they have left behind though
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:37 pm

See what you get, :) just because no one went down and offered them a cupper they upped and left :D :D :D
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm no big lover of traveler's and if they want respect then they must show respect, in turn, to the places they visit.

The ones that have just left the Carrs have gone a long way to bridging the rift. They packed all their waste in black bin liners and left them at the side of one of the litter bins.

Well done you lot.

IF what those lads told Big Al was true and these tidying up their mess, is this the start of a new generation wanting to heal the hatred? Or is it a one off, we shall have to wait and see. I hope it's the former.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Quiksilver » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Well - I'm just glad that they have gone without all the stress and fuss an 'eviction' would bring. Nice and clear and ready for the much promised dredging to begin... sometime soon I hope.
The field is ready.
QuikSilver
Quiksilver
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am

Totally agree Whitey but it has to come from both sides at the same time and the "stigma" created by some will eventually wear off :D :D
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Community Watch