Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Caravans on Carrs

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

Re: Caravans on Carrs

Postby BigAl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 am

whitevanman wrote:
mikeC wrote:Wild' camping is frowned upon these days

Tomas Drouty wrote:There is nothing wrong if they treated the space with respect and caused no problems.

I agree with this but only if the same provision was available to everybody and not just one community.

Tomas Drouty wrote:I suppose one could argue that we shouldn't tarnish all with the same brush

Unfortunately, i think "The Travelling Community" is one of the few groups (ethnic minorities??? :roll: ) that you can tar with the same brush.

Wild camping as you call it is not frowned on these days, in fact its european law that they are entitled to stop and rest, its called recoupriation. And there are more english doing it in europe than you would believe. Its saves them paying for camp sites for most of the winter period.

And before you ask, :D no we do not do it ourselvs as we have an all year pitch :D :D but we see it all the time, especially in the south of France and the Spanish coast. They just pull up on or near the beach, telly dish, table and chairs set up and rest for 2 or 3 days then move on.

The travelling community as you call them, are not as the romany's were with their horses and caravans, they used to protect nature not mess it up as the modern day ones do. They are just interested in making the proverbial "quick buck" and going on their way. So you have a good point about the mess they leave, be interesting to see if they are planning on hanging around, they might even sort the Mill Dam silting problem if you ask them nicely. ;) ;)

Thinking about it are the travellers and different to one of the many run down council estates around the country :?: Ive certainly seen some real pig sty's of places.

The Carrs is after all a public place and not exclusive to the nearby residents. :)
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby mikeC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:38 am

BigAl wrote:Wild camping as you call it is not frowned on these days, in fact its european law that they are entitled to stop and rest, its called recoupriation. And there are more english doing it in europe than you would believe. Its saves them paying for camp sites for most of the winter period.

And before you ask, :D no we do not do it ourselvs as we have an all year pitch :D :D but we see it all the time, especially in the south of France and the Spanish coast. They just pull up on or near the beach, telly dish, table and chairs set up and rest for 2 or 3 days then move on.

Try doing that here in the UK! We used to have a small motorhome, but eventually sold it because we were fed up of being moved on when we stopped for a brew-up, never mind an overnight stop. If it had been one conventional motorhome that had turned up on the Carrs, I bet the authorities' reactions would have been rather different...
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 am

Wild Camping usually means camping in wilderness and in some countries the laws are not specific as to whether it's legal, though it is tolerated in many countries, but in others it's not. Some countries even make places available along roadsides, such as Aires in France, but these are designated areas and they usually have some limited facilites such as water and waste disposal facilities, which I think is an excellent idea. You can bet that in England, there is one law that says wild camping is illegal and another loophole somewhere that says it's not! :roll:

In any case, The Carrs is a public place but that doesn't mean the public can do absolutely anything they want and in our experience, when travellers have set up camp there, they haven't respected it and have caused nuisance by leaving their mess.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:59 am

anyone been down for a cuppa with them yet and welcomed them to the area :lol:
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Sounds like a job for the " Friends of the Carrs " to me :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, they're still there so I wonder if anyone is doing anything about it, or even if they can do anything about it. Whilst walking around the river this afternoon, a young boy approached me selling jewellery, so beware of peddlars too. He was by the footbridge and I don't know if he was anything to do with the caravans. I did ask where he was from and he said, 'just round the corner'.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby johno » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Just been to our door aswell caz, IMHO two of them should be in bed by now . some people will never learn , kids should not be out door knocking at this time of night on there own because if anything happens it will be who would have thought it.
johno
Lite Registered User

Postby Troy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

My Nice was on the Carrs thursday afternoon, and was quiet upset becuse she said a load of boys from the caravans were throwing rocks at the baby Swans.
The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love,

You never love someone because they are beautiful; they are beautiful because you LOVE them
Troy
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Mustaine » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Someone please get rid of these scum bags. Everywhere they go they cause trouble, leave a filthy mess and have no respect for anything. I can't understand anyone who would tolerate them - and yes - in my experience you can tar them all with the same brush. Normal, hardworking people would not get away with half the stuff these people get away with. They're not even proper gypsies. Grrrr.
Mustaine
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Does anyone know what MDC are doing to get them moved on?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:04 am

johno wrote:Just been to our door aswell caz, IMHO two of them should be in bed by now . some people will never learn , kids should not be out door knocking at this time of night on there own because if anything happens it will be who would have thought it.

That's a bit disconcerting if the kids are knocking on doors and selling stuff! There was a little girl with the young lad I saw, he was about 11 and she was about 8. Were they trying to sell you jewellery too Johno?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:38 am

I have heard they were served with a 48 hour legal notice on Thursday, which means they have to go by today, we will see what happeneds
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 am

Mustaine wrote:Someone please get rid of these scum bags. Everywhere they go they cause trouble, leave a filthy mess and have no respect for anything. I can't understand anyone who would tolerate them - and yes - in my experience you can tar them all with the same brush. Normal, hardworking people would not get away with half the stuff these people get away with. They're not even proper gypsies. Grrrr.

Roll on the NIMBY brigade. :D :D :D

So its ok for them to be moved to somewhere else and give someone else the problem :?: :?:

I am not saying i fully support what they do and where they go but is calling them "Scum bags" and saying they should not be tolerated etc etc is a bit over the top don't you think :)
And who knows, they may have the same opinion of people who live in houses and on council estates :D
They are still people and have exactly the same rights as you and I do, and yes you do get the law breakers and mess lying about just as you do in societies around the country. Give them a bit of space and time and they will move on without people getting heavy handed with them,

Just my opinion, now going back to my pacifist cornflakes and coffee :D :D :D
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Mustaine » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 am

Pfft!. I stand by every word. I'm not one of the NIMBY brigade either.

There's a large community of them in Worksop. The kids frequent a certain establishment there. They can't read, are rude, filthy - they wipe crap on the loo walls - and have been caught doing it and in general Worksop would be better off without them. I also got into an argument with 2 of them (who were old enough to know better) firing stones from a catapult at ducklings on the canal ... only to be told " f.. off you slag!". So I think calling them scum bags was a bit too polite on my part.

Society has gone soft!
Mustaine
Lite Registered User

Postby mikeC » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 am

BigAl wrote:

So its ok for them to be moved to somewhere else and give someone else the problem :?: :?:

:D

But I thought you were saying that they weren't a problem, so you won't mind it if we send them over to you? :lol:
mikeC
Lite Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Community Watch