Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Bogus Drain Inspections - Beware Again!!

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

Bogus Drain Inspections - Beware Again!!

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Around midday today a young woman knocked at my mum's door saying someone on her street had a blocked drain, so she had to inspect all drains and asked my mum to show her where her drains were. She lifted one of the covers and asked mum if she had a stick so she could poke the drain. At that point a man who was on the street shouted that they had the wrong address. They both left in a car.

That smacks of something fishy to me. Anyone else experienced something like this? This was on Fell Wilson Street. The young woman was dressed in trousers and T shirt, not any kind of uniform and didn't show any ID.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Drain inspections?

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Caz

What time of the day would this be? I had a woman knock on my door yesterday afternoon, but to be honest I ignored it.
Sharon
Lite Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Caz

I smell a rat there ( sorry ) sounds like the start of a distraction theft, but then drains do often run around the back of a number of houses before heading into the main drain. My Mother in law did have a very able female plumber do work on her house.

All shared drains (simplistic explanation) on private property or in the street are now the responsibility of the local water authority. So Severn Trent Water or contractors they send out would do the work.
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 pm

It could have been a distraction theft attempt. I know the young woman knocked on the front door and took my mum around the back of the house to lift a drain and I don't know what the man was doing at the time. I just don't think they were from the water board as they were in a car rather than a van. A neighbour said he'd been watching them as well but I haven't really got the whole story yet.

It just rings alarm bells with me when something like that happens to elderly people and especially when it's my mum!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby moanersRus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Sounds dosgy, Severn trent changed all ownership of drains last year.

if i recall correct. you are now only responsible TO the main dran then its severn trents responsibility now, before you was responsible for whatever was in your garden.

so def dodgy as they should not even be bothering with a main drain!!!
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Whoever the drains/sewers belong to, there were other things that didn't seem right. The young woman who knocked at my mum's door asked for Mrs Wilson and my mum said that nobody of that name lived there, which is when she said the problem was with a neighbour's drain but they had to check hers too. Also, the woman asked my mum if she'd got a stick so she could poke the drain. Surely someone looking at drains would bring tools and something better than a stick.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby dcj » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Unfortunately this is too much of a coincidence on the same day. An old lady from accross the road to us has had the same visit but as the "lady" went round the back to check the drains her "partner" nipped into the front of the house and helped himself to a few things.
dcj
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 am

What area was that dcj, what time?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby dcj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 am

This was on Hammerwater Drive before 10 as far as I know.
dcj
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you! Yes you can post details as we need to make people aware of this.

I suspected it was something like this and I will be going to my mum's house shortly to check that nothing is missing and to get more details. If anyone else has a similar experience I suggest you get the registration number of the car if you can. Unfortunately my mum didn't, but I do know a neighbour knows something and I'll be looking into that too and passing on information to the police.

Thanks once again! We need to make everyone aware of this!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Drain inspections Beware!!

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 am

Having spoken to my mum again this morning. It seems a neighbour may have saved her from a burglary. The neighbour was watching these people and saw the man near my mum's gate putting on a pair of gloves and shouted to him that he was up to no good. It was at that point that the man shouted to the young woman that they'd got the wrong adress and they scarpered!

I have more details that I'll be passing on to the police and will be posting as soon as I can.

DCJ, could you please post the phone number of the police officer who is dealing with this case and if anyone else has any more details they can pass them onto the police.

Thank you all for your help with this. It does look like my mum had a lucky escape thanks to the vigilance of her neighbours.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Report is now on the Police web site, looks like they get about a bit. It makes me wonder how they know which houses have elderly people in to target, especially as they are probably not from this area.

http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/ap ... ry_appeal/

and on the Chad site (copy of police report)

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/police ... -1-4756242
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Westmorland » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Age Concern on High Street should be advised so they can warn people and all sheltered Housing Complex Wardens. Other local groups need to be informed such as Meden Vale Senior Citizens, Saturday Night Dance Club, Tuesday Club, Ladies and Mens Probus. Posters putting up in all the local Health centres warning people. The more people who know the quicker it will get around
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, it does look like it was the same people, the description is the same and they got away in a black VW Golf, that was new and top of the range, like a GTi, or similar. My mum has now given a statement.

Please, please make all elderly people aware of this.

My mum was very lucky that her neighbour saw them looking suspicious and had been watching them. The man was waiting at my mum's gate and was putting on a pair of gloves when the neighbour shouted and asked what he was doing. At that point the man shouted to the woman that they'd got the wrong address and they both left.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Next

Return to Community Watch