Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Beware of scrap collectors

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

Beware of scrap collectors

Postby Caz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 pm

There are a lot of scrap collectors going round Warsop at the moment taking from gardens without the owners consent.

Today, two scrap men took a car door from our drive without our permission and it wasn't scrap, it was one our Dan had bought to put on his girlfriend's car. I was just driving up our street as the van was pulling away and the driver gave me a guilty look, then I noticed the door had gone, so I followed the van up Appleton Street and beckoned the driver to stop, he acknowledged me, but drove off as I was getting out of my car to talk to him. He didn't hang about and I lost him. The van was blue, Transit size, with ladders on the roof and the first half of the Reg is YT51 - I didn't get the rest of it.

I've got video footage of one man taking the door and the other man putting a length of pipe in the back of the van, no doubt from one of my neighbour's. If anyone sees this van, please take the registration and pm me as the police are interested and they need stopping.

The other day, I caught a scrap man taking some metal snow guard brackets from our Gemma's garden as well. I have alerted the police but I'd say everyone should be careful not to leave anything metal lying around on show. These are not the regular scrap men who come round Warsop and ask if you have any scrap metal, I've never seen these before and this lot don't bother to ask, they just take.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Beware of scrap collectors

Postby Caz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Just spoken to my next door neighbour and what I thought was a length of pipe was a metal bar my neighbour used to hold down the tarpaulin cover of his trailer. The scrap collectors took it without permission and it wasn't scrap.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Last week a scrapman's pick up truck was spotted near my field, which is quite well hidden, and not many people know it's there. i went to have a look and some things had been taken without my permission, and were not actually scrap. The maddening thing being that they went on my property and took what THEY wanted.

caz wrote:The van was blue, Transit size, with ladders on the roof and the first half of the Reg is YT51 - I didn't get the rest of it.

This may or may not be of any use.
Some years ago i dealt with a company at the bottom of Tolney Lane in Newark. This is were the "traveller's"sites are. One morning i was a bit early and so had a look round while i was waiting. In one compound there was seven transit van's with different firms names on. ie Tree felling, guttering, tarmac etc. They all had non existent address's on (i checked), they all had the same mobile phone number on and THEY ALL HAD THE SAME NUMBER PLATE, and not one had a tax disc.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes Whitey! That's what annoyed me! The fact they'd been onto my property and taken something without my permission and then deciding the fate of something that belongs to me. The car door was of little value really but it was NOT scrap. It had come from a scrap yard and had been sought out and paid for. The same thing happened with my neighbour, the metal bar was of little value other than it served a purpose for my neighbour. This is happening more and more often recently and it's not the usual scrap men who are to blame. These are people coming from somewhere else and they operate very quickly.

I've watched our security video and there's no more than two minutes between them driving up the street, spotting what they want, turning round at the top of the street, taking what they wanted and scarpering quickly! I don't doubt their van reg isn't for real either and I think the ladders on the roof were a decoy. When I was driving round looking for them, I also saw a red pick-up on Hetts Lane laden with scrap, probably working with the other vehicle. These people know exactly what they're doing and how to operate. It's a bit off-putting to know that they're snooping about as well.

I would urge anyone who's had stuff taken from their property by these scrap collectors to contact the police, as this needs stopping.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:17 pm

:shock: Blimey!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby dcj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:58 pm

My sister had a bike stolen from her front last week and a customer of mine had the BONNET STOLEN FROM HIS LAND ROVER! last week. I kid you not it was actually taken off his car, electrics to the alarm cut and removed! :shock:
dcj
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 pm

:shock: Jeez! And I was complaining about a car door that wasn't attached to anything! I think everyone who has metal taken from their property, however worthless, should inform the police. That's the only way they're likely to stop this sort of thing.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 am

I assume that your customer with the land rover reported this as it may not be related to the scrap men. There are many land rover thefts in this area, and the parts may not actually be far away.
PM me if you want a bit more info.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby whitevanman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 am

An article from todays evening post,

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/chang ... story.html
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 pm

When I reported the theft of the car door, the police did say there was currently an operation to stop the scrap thefts. What is so frustrating is that if there were more police on the streets I'm sure they could catch these rogues but they'd need time to follow up all their evidence and I'm sure they have more serious crimes to investigate. I do have CCTV footage of those who stole my stuff and it will be available for evidence if they catch the suspects.

As I said before, anyone who has had metal stolen, should report it to the police. I'm sure there are more incidents of this kind of theft that go un-reported, so the extent of the problem is no doubt underestimated. A couple of weeks ago, scrap collectors were around every five minutes, but I haven't seen a single one since my little event.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Obviously the price of scrap metal is too high for some to resist!! Gemma's roof was robbed of its lead flashing last night and the theives caused a lot of damage to the roof in the process. They obviously got disturbed as they left a lump of rolled up lead behind on the conservatory roof.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tania » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm

The illegal scrap merchants are out again, my neighbour has just had her garden cleared of her gazebo poles, swimming pool poles and loads of pipe, she managed to catch them and told them to put it all back, they looked at her like she was a mad woman, well she was pretty angry! But after checking everything she's still some stuff missing.
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Do you have a description of the vehicle that we should be looking out for?

What time was it?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tania » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 pm

It happened at 13.30 3 guys in a white pick-up, it has been reported to our local police.
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Community Watch