Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

scam phonecall about pc viruses

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

scam phonecall about pc viruses

Postby tightwadswife » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:20 pm

I just received a phonecall from a chap with an asian accent called 'Brad Jones'. He tried to tell me that my pc had picked up a whole gang of viruses and they had tracked them down and could remove them for me. His English was poor but I think he was trying to sell me some cure for my 'problem'. When I asked him his name again he said he was Brad Williams (not Jones) and he was from microsoft. I told him a quick goodbye.
I just checked out the pc pro website and it seems people have been conned out of £185 by this scam.
Anyone else been called?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Re: scam phonecall about pc viruses

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that tww.

I've had a phone call tonight from someone with very poor English who claimed to be phoning on behalf of BT. He was very rude too! I asked again where he was from and he said very curtly "Mrs Hill, I've already told you I'm calling on behalf of British Telecom!" :roll: He offered me a service that would stop all my unwanted canvassing phone calls. I told him I didn't get that many. He then called me a liar. He actually said "You are lying Mr Hill, I know you get nuisance calls" :twisted:

He wanted me to make a one off payment to stop these calls for a lifetime. I told him I was on the TPR and he'd know that if he was from BT. He said he wasn't from BT, he was calling on their behalf. I told him his call was a nuisance call and if that's how BT were going to treat me, I'd be changing providers, thank you very much, goodbye. He was still chuntering when I hung up! :lol:

I'm sure he was NOT calling on behalf of BT!!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby jilli » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Had the same call Caz, said he was from BT and wanted to put me on the TPS, as soon as I said I was already on it, he hung up....... dialed 1471, caller number with held.

Had calls before that and they say they are from BT, as soon as you query what they are saying, they put the phone down.

Why do people get taken in by these calls?
jilli
Lifetime Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Caz Thing was old TW answered the call about the pc viruses and he doesn't even know how to switch a computer on. He really thought there was something wrong with the pc. and called me to the phone.
I must admit I got mad. I'm ashamed to say I almost became a foul mouthed racist :oops:
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 pm

tightwadswife wrote:Caz Thing was old TW answered the call about the pc viruses and he doesn't even know how to switch a computer on. He really thought there was something wrong with the pc. and called me to the phone.
I must admit I got mad. I'm ashamed to say I almost became a foul mouthed racist :oops:

:lol: Tell old TW, he can get tablets for the virus!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about almost becoming a foul mouthed racist, I'm ashamed to say too. :oops: It was the attitude that got me first, then being called a liar by a stranger on the phone when I was in my own home!!! :twisted:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby moanersRus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 am

Caz wrote:
tightwadswife wrote:Caz Thing was old TW answered the call about the pc viruses and he doesn't even know how to switch a computer on. He really thought there was something wrong with the pc. and called me to the phone.

:lol: Tell old TW, he can get tablets for the virus!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about almost becoming a foul mouthed racist, I'm ashamed to say too. :oops: It was the attitude that got me first, then being called a liar by a stranger on the phone when I was in my own home!!! :twisted:

Just tell them someones at the door you be right back..... i know someone who did that he went to make a cuppa watched telly and the guy was still on the phone waiting lmao
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:50 am

Yes, where do they get our numbers from? Why Me? How dare they invade my peace like that and try to rip me off? :x

Like that one Moaners thanks for the suggestion. :lol:
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 pm

I've got caller display so don't answer the phone if I don't know the number. :D
ImageImage
Daisy
Lite Registered User

Return to Community Watch