Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Back garden thefts

Make others aware of local thefts, anti-social behaviour issues or other problems that may arise that you think the Warsop community should be aware of.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Community Watch
In a non-emergency you can call Nottinghamshire Police directly on 101. If someone's life is in danger or a crime is in progress dial 999.

Back garden thefts

Postby Caz » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Beware of leaving anything on your back gardens/yards unless you don't mind it getting nicked. If it can be moved, lock it up.

Between midnight Friday and 8 pm Saturday I had some Cigs, cigars, baccy and booze stolen from our deck which is right outside the kitchen door. I keep cigs and cigars out on the deck for guests and the wine, two 3 litre boxes, were in the fridge on the deck which is right next to the back door. So the little thieves weren't too scared of getting caught as it's well lit with security lighting and there's no way onto our back garden without climbing fences.

It could even have been in daylight because my next door neigbour caught a young lad looking over the fence from the school playground at 6.30 pm yesterday. We've caught them in there before and scared them off, the little blighters. This one was around 13 years old, short cropped fair hair, pointed features and was wearing a black top.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Back garden thefts

Postby Wizard » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 pm

If I were you Caz, I would invest in a good CCTV set up.
You can get a good quality recorder and 2 Infra Red cameras for around £250.
These cameras are small and unobtrusive, but they give good quality colour recording in day light, and good enough black and white recording at night to be able to recognise the culprits.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Tania » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Some friends of mine recently had one of their land rovers nicked and the thieves attempted to nick another one off their drive, on a busy main road, right under their CCTV camera which they turned round so it couldn't pick up what they were up too!
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:40 pm

As i put in a post somewhere else on here, a couple of lads were spotted climbing the fence between me and my neighbour a couple of weeks ago.
The police have their names
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:40 am

The caretaker at Birklands school found my empty wine boxes on the benches in the front playground this morning. They hadn't gone far then! :roll: They'd obviously seen stuff on our deck and although it's not easy to get onto our back garden, they managed it. There's six foot fencing plus another six foot of ball fence round most of our garden and around the rest of the back fence I've planted prickly climbers specifically to stop anyone coming over. However, there is a gap and I've found evidence of where they've gone back over, so there's another climbing rose going in there very soon.

It occurred to me yesterday that I already have a webcam in the roof of the deck, though it wasn't switched on. It's the one I used to watch the blackbird eggs hatch last year. It's only tiny so nobody would know it was there and it transmits very good images. However, the kids drinking the wine were sat practically under the CCTV camera on Burns Lane and it didn't deter them. The stuff I had stolen didn't amount to much as I'd got it all cheap from France anyway, but it's the thought of someone being on our garden that's very disturbing. Our deck is our outside room but now I can't use it for that purpose as I can't leave anyting on it in case it gets nicked, even the beer fridge will have to go into the garage now. I've lived here for years and we've left all sorts of stuff out on the front garden and it's been perfectly safe, yet the back garden is more secure and nothing's safe there. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby loftyhermes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:00 am

Razor wire would be good
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 pm

We wouldn't be allowed to put anything like that on it because it's a school boundary, otherwise.... :twisted: But, don't worry I'll be planting the pricklyist stuff I can find.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Caz wrote:We wouldn't be allowed to put anything like that on it because it's a school boundary, otherwise.... :twisted: But, don't worry I'll be planting the pricklyist stuff I can find.

Pyracantha's good, fast growing and VERY prickly
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

whitevanman wrote:
Caz wrote:We wouldn't be allowed to put anything like that on it because it's a school boundary, otherwise.... :twisted: But, don't worry I'll be planting the pricklyist stuff I can find.

Pyracantha's good, fast growing and VERY prickly
Yep, I've got a Pyracantha Orange Glow growing up the bit where they used to climb over and it's stopped them. Now I need to replace one of my climbing roses that's about had it and has created the gap they're now using.

They've been back again tonight, another neighbour scared them off and he knows who they are. They'd climbed the wall and were looking towards our garden again. :roll: An hour later the school alarm went off.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 pm

I don't know if you can get it in garden centres, but poisoned ivy sounds like the perfect plant to put alongside your wall........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:17 pm

m8tey wrote:I don't know if you can get it in garden centres, but poisoned ivy sounds like the perfect plant to put alongside your wall........
:lol: Or in a bottle of wine conveniently left out! :lol:

The good news is, we've seen the police around the school a couple of times tonight and the CCTV has been facing the playground every time I've looked out.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:00 pm

To start, let me say that this is not a rant at the police, they have to uphold the stupid laws that we have to abide by and their hands are tied as much as our actions are.

My garden backs onto open fields and at the begining of last year someone came over my fence and caused a lot of damage to my pond.
With the fish that were killed and repairs, this was in excess of £1000, not counting the many hours of work over the following month to put it right.

Last week i recieved a tip off that my remaining fish, (quite large koi, carp, goldfish etc0, were being pre sold around our estate.
I decided to pre-empt the theft and take precautions, these were quite simple measures, ut could have stopped or slowed them down until other action could have been taken.
I got up this morning and found the precautions had been cut down, although it apears that n one as yet been over.

With this i decided to call at the police station and phone the Crime Prevention Office for advice what to do....................basically............I CAN DO NOTHING.

The only thing i can apparently do, legally, is install CCTV, wait for the crime to be committed and sort it out from there.

WTF....I would rather prevent it, than let it happen.
I can't lay any traps,
I can't put anythings on the fence to prevent access
I can't do anything that may cause them injury or do damage to their clothng, even if it is on my property and they are actual on it.
I have even been told that the trip wire round my pond, that i actually put up for the heron can cause me problems if an intruder tripped over it.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGG

I'm afraid that i may be in jail by the end of the week if anything happens
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby moanersRus » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 pm

electric fence is perfectly legal as long as you say there is one there so one notice along the line of the fence is adequate, (one every 90 metres)
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 am

Pyracantha hedging Whitey, though it will be a few years before it's grown high enough to fully protect your garden. The police also suggested I put some of those plastic spikey things along the top of my fence, but if thieves want to get over that won't stop them.

The local bobbies had a word with the two young lads suspected of being on my garden and neither I nor my neighbours have seen the lads around again and I've had nothing go missing. If it stays that way, then the lads have obviously learnt a lesson and I'll be more than happy because giving them a talking to that worked, is much better than getting them arrested as far as I'm concerned.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby jilli » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 am

It really is maddening............................

I think the only real deterent is ..... a large dog, probably what helps protect my garden as I am surrounded by allotments, easy access getaways etc. There has been some nights when my dog has gone out late to go to the toilet and suddenly stared at the fence/hedge with her hackles up, barking. Could just be a cat, but if it is someone 'casing', then she lets then now she is on guard!

I don't know where you stand though if someone uninvited comes on your property and your dog bites them?.....
jilli
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Community Watch