Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Fracking

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Fracking

Postby Westmorland » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Apparently at July Parish Council meeting the County Councillor for Warsop was speaking about the advantages of fracking under the local landscape.

What are peoples views regard fracking?

Is it a good idea, or one that is going to cause major subsidence damage and cause problems to the closed mine shafts and tunnels deep under the ground?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Fracking

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 pm

I don't think we really know if damage will be caused by fracking. It's an unknown quantity and will depend on the method used and the company employed to do it. We need some form of energy and where it will come from if not from fracking, I can't imagine.

We don't like solar farms, we no longer mine our own coal, oil is becoming more expensive and less freely available, nuclear is contentious at the best of times and takes years to commission. We already have power stations that run off gas, so it seems a feasible solution. Although we already have power stations that run off coal, so re-opening a few mines would make sense too.

The government are too short sighted to make long term plans but we need to be planning a long way ahead if we're to use renewable energy, because shale gas won't last more than a few decades. I'd like to see local waste and sewerage plants generating gas and installing small scale power plants on site. We have plenty of poo and that will never run out.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Personally I believe that wind, sun and water are the way forward. The UK is an island and will never run out of either. Estuaries can produce vast amounts of energy as can the off shore and inland wind farms. Solar is by far the problem for the climate in the UK but will produce at a lot smaller cost than the ongoing farce over the new nuclear stations that might or might not get built at a huge cost and very expensive electric at the end of it. I am having problems understanding why people are so against solar power in the UK as it is being used successfully about the world. As yet nobody has given me a sensible proven reason why it's not liked.
Have fun. :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby mikeC » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:25 am

BigAl wrote:... I am having problems understanding why people are so against solar power in the UK as it is being used successfully about the world. As yet nobody has given me a sensible proven reason why it's not liked.
Have fun. :D :D

Perhaps because it is inefficient in the UK climate? We have south-facing solar panels on the house, which produce next to nothing except on the sunniest days. Also much of the resistance to solar farms is down to the planners - they seem happy to permit farms on good farmland in open countryside, but no-one seems interested in putting them up on brown-field sites ...
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:25 am

I agree that where they are placed is not good as in the coming years the UK is going to need all the farmers fields for food and brown field for housing as there is a shortage of both. Why then are the solar farms placed alongside the motorways and major roads like other counties have done. No "NIMBY" problems and no inconvenience to home owners. Yes the sun, or lack of it, is a problem but with global warming it is going to improve ( so they say ) :D .

Wind power is proving viable and most of it being off shore has stopped a lot of problems though there are some inland. :roll:
Water power from the rivers and estuarys could be a saviour ;) as the gas runs out , and opening up coal mines is not a viable process.

Apart from nuclear what other choose is there apart from buying power in from abroad :?:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby mikeC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 am

BigAl wrote:
Apart from nuclear what other choose is there apart from buying power in from abroad :?:

Every home should have a hamster treadmill!
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:23 am

:D :D :D Hamster food prices about to go through the roof :lol: :lol:
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:00 pm

BigAl wrote:I agree that where they are placed is not good as in the coming years the UK is going to need all the farmers fields for food and brown field for housing as there is a shortage of both. Why then are the solar farms placed alongside the motorways and major roads like other counties have done. No "NIMBY" problems and no inconvenience to home owners. Yes the sun, or lack of it, is a problem but with global warming it is going to improve ( so they say ) :D .

Wind power is proving viable and most of it being off shore has stopped a lot of problems though there are some inland. :roll:
Water power from the rivers and estuarys could be a saviour ;) as the gas runs out , and opening up coal mines is not a viable process.

What they actually say about global warming is that the UK will become wetter, not sunnier! I agree we should be following other countries by putting solar panels along motorways, but maybe the reason the government hasn't done this is because solar isn't so viable in this climate.

Wave and tidal power are there to be harnessed and there are plans to build a power plant to capture the Severn tide. We'll see how that goes. Hinkley is on hold but that's not surprising given how much it would cost to build and how much the electricity would cost from nuclear.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Warsop Chatter