Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

New speed limit

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

New speed limit

Postby mikeC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Ooooh, look! We've got a 20mph speed limit on Burns Lane; I wonder if anyone will notice :roll:
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Re: New speed limit

Postby Caz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 pm

mikeC wrote:Ooooh, look! We've got a 20mph speed limit on Burns Lane; I wonder if anyone will notice :roll:

Those signs have multiplied overnight. I noticed one on Sandy Lane yesterday and more have gone up today on Burns Lane, Appleton Street and believe it or not, there's even one at the top of Birkland Avenue.

I can understand them being on roads where there are schools, but there isn't a school on Birkland Avenue and the sign isn't even at the beginning of the street, it's at the top of the hill. I think they must have had one left and just stuck it in anywhere rather than wasting it! :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 am

We also have them in Meden Vale.
They are on Netherfield Lane, close to the school, but there is also one on Elkesley Road and Egmanton Road, both of which are a good distance from the school gates.
The thing I want to know is, are they legally enforceable?
On Netherfield Lane the speed limit is 30mph, then suddenly you come up to a sign saying 20mph, so would you be prosecuted if the speed camera crew were there?
There is no sign saying that the 20mph limit is only in use at certain times of the day, so you can guarantee that the speed camera would catch almost every driver driving along there as they would be doing 30mph.
I think a little more information regarding the times that the new limit is in use would be handy to know!!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby mikeC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:15 am

If there are no times displayed, then they are enforceable at all times.
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:20 am

Is it not a good thing to slow down, less accidents, lower fuel consumption and emissions and its got to be better than those bloody speed humps. :D :D

Nobody is going to stick to it anyway :lol: :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:24 am

mikeC wrote:If there are no times displayed, then they are enforceable at all times.

I have had a quick look on the internet, and as I understand it, for a maximum speed limit to be enforceable, the maximum speed has to be indicated in a sign with a red circle, just like the 30 and 40 mph limits.
These signs aren't like that, and you can actually joint the road (Netherfield Lane) without passing a sign informing you of the 20mph limit until you have passed the school, therefore making the sign useless.
I think more clarification is needed on these signs.
I always slow down near schools as I know how unpredictable school kids can be, but I think these signs will cause more accidents by people having to suddenly brake to slow to 20 mph.
I know how close people tailgate me at 30mph, so dropping to 20mph will cause more frustration for the idiots who are in a hurry.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:33 am

BigAl wrote:Is it not a good thing to slow down, less accidents, lower fuel consumption and emissions and its got to be better than those bloody speed humps. :D :D

Nobody is going to stick to it anyway :lol: :lol:

Its always a good thing to slow down where kids are Al, but these signs have been erected with no thought involved as to the siting of them, and a clear lack of information as to their actual use and legality.

Regarding the lower emissions, V W have sorted alll that out for us. Soon all cars and coal fired power stations will be as clean as the software wants it to be :lol: :lol:
Is this the reason why Germany is investing in Coal fired power stations ??

I'm sure that I read something a while back that said that the dreaded speed humps on Sherwood Street were going to be removed, but nothing has happened yet!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:42 pm

The new speed limits are advisories. Which is why they are not surrounded by the red circle. It is a NCC initiative to have 20mph speed advisories around all school in the county. The roads included are where the flow of pedestrian traffic is likely to be.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby mikeC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Having had a second look at the signs, that was the conclusion I had come to. Since many motorists ignore the 30mph limit in these places, what difference does the Council think they are going to make?
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Tomas Drouty wrote:The new speed limits are advisories. Which is why they are not surrounded by the red circle. It is a NCC initiative to have 20mph speed advisories around all school in the county. The roads included are where the flow of pedestrian traffic is likely to be.

So surely the one at the top of Birkland Avenue would have been more usefully sited nearer the bottom where pedestrians cross. It really does look as if they had one spare and just stuck it in.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:16 am

I personally think that all cars should be banned from going anywhere near schools during term time with exception for the school bus and delivery vehicles and stricter speed limits within the main area where the pupils walk to and from the school within a radius of say a mile. :D Especially the smaller kids as they have yet to be taught road sense.
Would certainly cut out a lot of problems with the "school run" and give the kids a bit of exercise at the same time. The older kids will be the problem though and having their eyes glued to their smartphones as they walk stops them from seeing cars :)

Are advisory road signs not a total waste of money ? another subject for discussion ;)
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:47 am

BigAl wrote:Are advisory road signs not a total waste of money ? another subject for discussion ;)

Al, you can pack it in now, We seem to agree on something!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have spoken to a few people about the siting of these "advisory" speed signs, and almost everyone agrees that they are a waste of time and money.

Most people say the same thing, and that is " who will take any notice of an "advisory" speed limit, when they don't take any notice of a "compulsory" speed limit??

I think NCC have got this one totally wrong, as they have caused nothing but confusion with this campaign.

I have seen signs erected close to schools which show a speed limit of 20mph in a red circle, but with flashing lights, which are only switched on when the school children are actually going into school, or leaving it.
The sign also says that the lower speed limit is only in force when the lights are flashing.

Not only do these signs clearly tell the motorist when the lower speed limit is active, it is also enforceable by law.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby mikeC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:24 am

Wizard wrote:
I have seen signs erected close to schools which show a speed limit of 20mph in a red circle, but with flashing lights, which are only switched on when the school children are actually going into school, or leaving it.
The sign also says that the lower speed limit is only in force when the lights are flashing.

Not only do these signs clearly tell the motorist when the lower speed limit is active, it is also enforceable by law.

I agree that this is the correct way to deal with speeds outside schools; the problem is that theses signs are erected without providing any indication of where the reduced speed limit finishes... Theoretically, once you have passed one of these in active mode, you are then required to continue at 20mph until you pass nother sign notifying of a change of speed limit, which could be miles away :roll:
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Wizard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 am

mikeC wrote:I agree that this is the correct way to deal with speeds outside schools; the problem is that theses signs are erected without providing any indication of where the reduced speed limit finishes... Theoretically, once you have passed one of these in active mode, you are then required to continue at 20mph until you pass nother sign notifying of a change of speed limit, which could be miles away :roll:

You are absolutely right Mike, although the ones I have seen do have another 40 or 50 mph sign within 200 yards of the flashing lights sign.
Unlike the useless new "advisory" 20mph signs that NCC have spent thousands of pounds on randomly erecting within a close walking distance of all the schools in Nottinghamshire !! :roll:

These new signs are an absolute waste of tax payers money.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Wizard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Last word from me on these signs!

On one side of the post is a sign saying " 20 School "
On the other side of the post is a sign saying "20 Thank you". This sign also has 4 or 5 thin light grey diagonal lines through it to indicate it is the end of the 20mph limit.

Poor signage for a motorist to see and read, even at 20 mph !
Wizard
Super Registered User

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter