Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Proposed Sookhome Solar Farm

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Proposed Sookhome Solar Farm

Postby Mark Burton » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:37 am

We aren't being NIMBY's, we are protecting our countryside, the a heritage of our village and safeguarding farming jobs for the future.

I'm not against solar pv, but I do object when it is on land used for growing food. These three fields will produce 3,600 tons of grain over the next 25 years, which generates rental income for the land owner and wages for the farmers which gets spent in local area. It also supports local businesses which maintain and supply agricultural machinery.

Diversification of farming would be the land used as grazing for sheep, which is a joke. Hill farmers in the Peak District etc can't grow crops at higher altitude, so that's why you see sheep and the majority of Dairy Farms in those areas. Not only do we produce cereals and grain on our lower lying farm land, we supply straw to those hill farmers for winter bedding as they can't grow it.
Mark Burton
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:55 pm

its all in the hands of Mansfield District Council now, all people can do is make sure they send in letters of objection by the closing date for consultation

You can if it goes to the planning committee attend the meeting and speak for so many minutes about your objections to the Solar Farm
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Al, The problem is that solar farms are not considered to be industrial, therefore the laws prohibiting industrial growth on green belt and agricultural land don't apply. No other industry could move onto that land. It needs to stay as agricultural use only. Solar farms do not create local jobs either, so they are just a lose, lose situation for the local community.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Mark Burton » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 pm

A link for anyone wishing to comment on the planning application, be it support or object is as follows....

http://www.mansfield.gov.uk/Fastweb/com ... hkryctxznz
Mark Burton
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:14 pm

]A solar energy firm has gone into administration with the loss of more than 900 jobs.
Staff at Leicester-based Mark Group Ltd, which was founded in 1974, were told the news on Wednesday afternoon.
Administrator Deloitte has made 939 redundancies, but a further 200 jobs are at risk unless a buyer can be found.
A statement said Mark Group had sustained heavy losses due to "structural changes in core markets".
The firm employs 1,1s65 people across the UK, with more than 700 based at its headquarters in Beaumont Leys.
More than 570 jobs have gone at the company's headquarters, with 154 retained while a buyer is sought.
In September last year, the firm announced it was cutting 670 jobs across the UK as a result of falling demand.
It said a change in government policy on energy efficiency had resulted in a "significant reduction" in installation work.
'Job losses regrettable'
The Sustainable Energy Association said: "This is disastrous news for the thousand or so employees that have left Mark Group buildings to tell their families they no longer have a job."
Chief executive Dave Sowden is calling on the government to rethink its entire approach to energy policy.
He said: "This could easily have been avoided if the government had paid attention to clear signals about the need to instil confidence in the market.
"Ministers were warned long before the election of a confidence problem in the sector due to lack of clarity on policy and frankly could have easily prevented this."
A spokesperson for the Department of Energy and Climate Change said: "All job losses are regrettable and we sympathise with those affected, but commercial decisions are a matter for the company concerned.
"Our priority is to keep bills as low as possible for hardworking families and businesses.
"Government support has driven down the cost of renewable energy significantly and these costs are continuing to fall. We are protecting existing investment and bill payers, while reducing our emissions in the most cost-effective way."
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:40 am

What choice do these companies have when they try to build / erect a solar farm the people go against it.
Who is to blame :?: :?:
6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other methinks.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Cuts in government subsidies for solar have been planned for a long time and have in fact been delayed, so the companies shouldn't be surprised their funding is being cut and should have been prepared. I don't think the closures are all about cuts in subsidies though and I think they're making that their scapegoat.

I think there are two problems. Firstly, confidence in solar has fallen and they're meeting opposition now, so things are getting harder for them. They've exploited the subsidies for long enough and have made good profits, but now it's not as profitable and they've got work to do, they're pulling out because the going won't be so good. Secondly, there isn't the market for all the companies that have built up on the strength of government funding, so some will have to go. It was always going to happen, as it always does when something is heavily subsidised. Only the strong survive! That's business!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Mark Burton » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Well said Caz. It is worth noting that particular company which laid all those people off and chose to go into administration straight after the announcement of the digression, did so 3 months before it would make any impact on their business.

Big Al, a company only being viable from government subsidies on their sole product, can only ever be short term as it is a poor business model. It is absolutely ridiculous and that's why they shut up shop so quickly. The Feed in Tarrifs where originally aimed at the regular householder, but then we all had the Finance Investors offering 'free pv' on our roofs, which gave them a massive return on investment from using someone else's properties or roofs. Who ever will take the panels off after they are no longer operational is anyone's guess, as the installers will be long gone. The same Investors then jumped onto the larger p.v. Systems and at 2015, the market has met its renewable obligations for 2020 already. This is the reason the incentive has been cut.

Temporis Wind, who are applying for the solar farm at Sookholme are headed up by Financiers and investment bankers. Their only drive for this is the return from Government incentives which we are all indirectly funding through levies on our energy bills and taxes. it's certainly not for the want of green energy or environmental friendliness.
Mark Burton
Lite Registered User

Postby Happy Humphrey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:39 pm

This is a seriously bad proposal, and bad for the environment. Thanks for flagging it up...I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.
I suspect that these industrial developments get through partly due to lack of objections, due to the potential objectors not being informed about the plans. It was a shock to me when the Budby one appeared. Who'd have thought that a major industrial development would be allowed in such a rural environment? And I'm sure that they do nothing for the planet, nothing whatsoever.

Objection lodged.
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Does anyone know what the situation is with this now?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Mark Burton » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:45 pm

The Planning Application is now being assessed by Mansfield District Council, so we await notice of their considerations. I am hopeful that the Community of Sookholme are able to be present should the application go in front the committee and that we are able to consolidate our objections through a nominated spokesperson. I think it may be December when this happens, so we are preparing our case.

TW Solar gave a poor presentation at Warsop Town Hall recently, suggesting they had ticked all the boxes for this to go ahead. I counted 14 apologies from their spokesperson for errors during his presentation and he stood by their report that the 3 fields are used currently for general grazing and cultivation of Turnips to down grade its use. My picture in the Chad clearly shows stubble from this years harvest.

There has been 76 letters and emails of objection against this proposal, which is a good show of support when you consider there are 17 properties in the village.......TW Solar said there is only 5. When we asked about the Roman Tile Kiln site in what is Field 3, they responded by saying it was insignificant after they had someone walk around the field who could not find any evidence.
Mark Burton
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks for the update. I do hope the residents win their case and MDC see sense. Please keep us informed of any further developments.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:58 pm

A number of other planning applications in the district for Solar Farms have been marked by planners as okay to proceed, however I do not know if these are designated decisions or whether these decisions have to go before a planning committee, if they go before a planning commitee which they should then they can be challenged
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:38 pm

As I said in a previous post, by granting permission for the Cuckney site, we've opened the floodgates to other solar farms and they're sprouting up overnight. It's not just in our community either, it's happening countrywide. How many solar farms do we really need to generate power? Surely, if solar is as efficient as these solar companies claim, there should be enough of them by now.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:58 pm

I am surprised they have never considered Warsop Pit Tip as a proposed site
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Chatter