Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Robert Bye Way Warsop

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Robert Bye Way Warsop

Postby Westmorland » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 pm

At the last Parish Council meeting in May I made a suggestion that the inner relief road from Surestart to the junction of High St/Carr Lane should be renamed the Robert Bye Way in honour of Warsops VC medal hero Sgt Robert Bye, it will soon be one hundred years since his act of heroic bravery
In an interview with his daughter with the Nottingham Evebing Post which is below, this was quoted by her

And if you are ever in Graig, Pontypridd, on the wall outside 13 Maritime Street, you will find a plaque marking the birthplace of Robert Bye.

But in Warsop, the place he called home for around 40 years, recognition is lacking, although there is a memorial in Mansfield Civic Centre.

His daughter commented with a wry smile: "There is a street in Warsop named after a murder victim ... but not one for my father."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Robert-By ... story.html
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Robert Bye Way Warsop

Postby mikeC » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 am

Adrian Hardy wrote:
...His daughter commented with a wry smile: "There is a street in Warsop named after a murder victim ... but not one for my father."...

Not quite! Fell Wilson Street was named after Samuel Fell Wilson senior (the father of the murder victim) who was chairman of the Town Council and author of the Warsop Almanac. Nevertheless, I agree with you, Adrian, Robert Bye Way sounds good to me, and that stretch of road has no name at the moment, does it?
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Yes I think that's a good idea and Mike's right in everything he says about Fell Wilson Street and the nameless road. I still call that stretch of road the 'New Road'. Robert Bye Way has a nice ring to it. Almost Robert Byway. :D
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 pm

It would certainly get the backing from me - think it's a fab idea and the perfect location within the town as it wouldn't mean anybody changing their address.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Westmorland » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:03 pm

Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Although I am no longer a Parish Councillor I will still be dealing with the Robert Bye Way as I proposed the idea before I was co-opted onto the Parish Council and have done all the hard work on my own to get this project moving and I intend to see it made reality
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Good for you! I think it's a good idea and I look forward to it not being called 'the new road' anymore.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Warsop Chatter