Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Should be Director of Highways Resign

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Should be Director of Highways Resign

Postby ELMER FUDD » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 am

Not often am I in agreement with Adrian but I am in total agreement with his latest post. It is an utter disgrace that roads and pavements are in such a disgraceful state because of a couple of inches of snow. My driving days are long past but back in the severe winter of 1962/3 I worked up on the hills above Matlock and never failed to get to work because of road conditions. Any one who hasn't lived through that hellish winter cannot imagine what it was like travelling through those dark freezing mornings. I never doubted I would get to work because the roads were regularly gritted. ( Didn't have the benefit of a heater in my old banger either)
One other point Adrian makes that is also a sore point with me: the obscene salaries these council bosses receive. There is no justification for those payments. Many of them earn more than the prime minister. What are we paying council tax for? To satisfy the greed of useless bureaucrats? All we get for our money is cuts, cuts and more cuts of the services these taxes were intended to provide. It's not just roads, it's waste collection, libraries, education, everything. Go into Mansfield and one is expected to pay one fifth of a pound to use the toilet.
To save money, dinner ladies, bin men or cleaners will have their employment terminated. There will be no cuts in six figure salaries though. On the contrary, the big boys will probably claim a bonus for saving the tax payer money. Good lad Adrian, you speak the truth.

One other thing Adrian: you're a miracle man, you have resurrected Warsop Web from the dead. Keep it up.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Wizard » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:The actions of Notts County Council were unacceptable and legal procedures should be taken to bring those at the council to account for gross misconduct

Of course cutting the salary of the Chief Executive by £100,000 will help or did you not do maths at school Wizard, a saving of £100,000 over 5 years would be half a million, just think of the services that could be saved from one salary redution alone!

we want the roads ploughed and gritted not much to ask is it

I hope people will start to sue the Council for any losses they have had as a result of their lack of action

we could do with a by election which would kick hopless selfish Labour out of power they do not represent the people but only themselves, they are very good at talking the talk but hopless at walking the walk

I have learnt at a very valuable lesson and that is if this is what Labour is like at County level then God help this country if we are ever misfortnate enough to give these muppets national power

There is no need to be so rude and obnoxious just because I have commented on the situation as I saw it.
Let me TRY and reply in SIMPLE TERMS
1.I don't think anyone at the Council is worth more than £80,000 a year for doing a job we are paying them to do.
2.Yes, I did do maths at school, and English, and I am quite able to work out the savings, thank you.
3. I also want to see the roads ploughed and gritted.
4.If there was a local election, people would vote for UKIP as a protest vote, but who do they have who could run the council WITHOUT having to increase Council Tax?
5. How do you propose sacking the newly appointed Chief Executive, who is on a salary of £170,000 a year, because he will be on a contract whereby if you sack him you will have to pay him £170,000 a year for at least 5 years, which is a total of £850,000 . Not quite the saving you had in mind is it??
I think there should be a major shake up with all the top jobs at the council, as I am sure we can manage with at least 30% less of them, but they aren't going to sack themselves are they!!

As a matter of interest Mr Hardy, how would you propose that the services that have been cut are all reinstated without the need for a 10% rise in the council tax?
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Caz as requested me not to turn this into a political debate Wizard and I am respecting her decision for once :D
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:Caz as requested me not to turn this into a political debate Wizard and I am respecting her decision for once :D

:D Yes, that is a first Adrian.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Just to make it clear. I don't bother to argue about politics because politicians are all the same to me, regardless of their colour, so arguing about which party is best is a total waste of time. When I said I didn't want this turning political, I meant declaring one party is better than another, because we all have our own opinions.

With regard to local issues, I am in agreement about obscene salaries, service cuts etc. Of course I am, I used to work in local government and I've seen it from inside so I know just how much money is wasted and how many brown noses climb the ladder. Of course the bigwigs will never sack themselves and it's in the interests of the brown noses to protect them. There are a lot of good people working for council's but they tend not to climb to a position where they can do much because they don't conform.

By all means discuss the pros and cons and have a rant about councils, but respect each others opinions please. Also remember that you're more likely to be taken seriously if you are polite and conduct a reasoned debate. These issues can bring out feelings of anger and frustration, but they need to be directed at the people who can make the changes, not at other forum members. Being rude just gets people's backs up, sours the debate, causes fighting amongst the ranks and pushes people onto the other side. ;)
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Previous

Return to Warsop Chatter