Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Should be Director of Highways Resign

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Should be Director of Highways Resign

Postby Westmorland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

The state of the roads around Warsop are a disgrace, many have been left unploughed or not gritted and people have been put at risk

I will never ever in my life vote Labour again, they have let the public down very badly and seem not to care if our roads are gritted or not

As for the Director of Highways, I hope he will clear his desk out as he has failed big time to keep the roads of Nottinghamshire safe and when a fish stinks it stinks form the head down

I hope our County Councillor will also resign over this matter, the road to Meden Vale at 10.30am this morning was appalling

I can't help feeling we are all overdue for a massive council tax refund from Notts County Council

Our local roads over the last few days have looked like a scene from the 1930s

I have emailed Ed Milliband to ask why he has allowed an area under Labour control to be neglected in such a manner

I can assure him its not due to lack of money, its due to bad management, poor supervisory control and a total lack of administration at County Hall

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/counci ... -1-7023825
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Should be Director of Highways Resign

Postby mikeC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:... the road to Meden Vale at 10.30am this morning was appalling

Come off it, Adrian, I drove through Meden Vale this morning before 10am and didn't encounter any problems. Yes, there was a bit of snow on the road, but there were clear wheeltracks in both directions, and it was perfectly safe at the legal speed limit.
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:47 pm

There is a photo on Facebook showing this road and if you believe thats acceptabale Mike C then that is your opinion and you are entitled to that and I respect that

I believe it is far below the standard that I expect and as such I hope someone at County Hall will be dismissed over putting peoples lives at risk, they just do not want to pay drivers overtime, its no wonder people are voting UKIP when you look at the shower of sh*t we have representing us at present,

One things for sure Derek Evans would have got the roads gritted
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:The state of the roads around Warsop are a disgrace, many have been left unploughed or not gritted and people have been put at risk

I will never ever in my life vote Labour again, they have let the public down very badly and seem not to care if our roads are gritted or not

As for the Director of Highways, I hope he will clear his desk out as he has failed big time to keep the roads of Nottinghamshire safe and when a fish stinks it stinks form the head down

I hope our County Councillor will also resign over this matter, the road to Meden Vale at 10.30am this morning was appalling

I can't help feeling we are all overdue for a massive council tax refund from Notts County Council

Our local roads over the last few days have looked like a scene from the 1930s

I have emailed Ed Milliband to ask why he has allowed an area under Labour control to be neglected in such a manner

I can assure him its not due to lack of money, its due to bad management, poor supervisory control and a total lack of administration at County Hall

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/counci ... -1-7023825

To be honest Adrian, I think the snow and ice caught everyone out. I know where you're coming from as I've had a bit of a rant about it, but when all things are considered, I think it was just a case of unfortunate circumstances.

Nobody expected we'd get quite as much snow and we wouldn't have had as much had there not been an unexpected change in wind direction, which caused it to stall over us instead of passing over. The Met office had only issued a yellow warning for us, so local authorities would not have been prepared. Maybe that was due to it being Christmas Day/Boxing Day when Met O and LA's would have been on skeleton staff.

To make things worse, the snow fell and settled so quickly that there was no time for action. Even if the gritter drivers had been at the depot, rather than on their Bank Holiday, by the time gritters and snow ploughs had been actioned it would have been much too late as abandoned cars were already littering roads. Also, there are specific times, temperatures and conditions for spreading grit and I don't think Boxing Day fitted any. We had rain before the snow, so any grit/salt would have already washed down the drains long before the snow arrived.

It's not only the roads around Warsop that are bad, they're the same around the region. I had a very minor skid in Mansfield town centre this morning on my way into work. Shirebrook is particularly bad as well, so the advice is, drive with extra care.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:09 am

Hiya Cas, I knew about the snow you were going to get 3 days before it came as forecast, and you all know where i am. :D :D How can you say that the snow caught everyone out. :?:
On this occasion i think Adrian has a valid point, :roll: but from what i see its country wide and not just Nottinghamshire. :)
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:15 pm

We knew the snow was coming Al, but thats not the problem.
To be fair to the Council, it rained quite heavily just before it turned to snow, so even if the gritters had been gritting, it would have washed it all down the drains.
It caught people out because of the intensity of the snowfall, which fell onto the wet road, which then turned to ice.

Contrary to some reports, the main road from Meden Vale to the A60 was driveable with care, because I drove on it around 9.30am without a problem.
The roads around both estates were terrible, with thick ice on the road, but again, it was driveable with extreme care.

Even now, the roads are still covered in thick ice, but I think that is something we are going to have to get used to with all the cut backs on Council spending that we know are coming in the new tax year.
Its either get used to it, or get a rather large increase in the Council Tax, so I think most people will just put up with it.

We haven't had much snow at all this year, so there hasn't been too much disruption to travelling around.
As you will probably remember, it doesn't take much of a snowfall to stop the bus from coming round the village anyway!!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:59 pm

This has nothing to do with cutbacks as Notts County Council have just appointed a new Chief Executive at £170,000 a year which is obscene and disgusting, but dont worry Councillors I am sure the poor and needy of the County will accept your cutbacks to ensure these fatcats in power dont go without a decent salary

No doubt they will be out with the begging bowl again next April saying they have got to increase the Council Tax

The road to Meden Vale to the A60 was unacceptable and looked like a scene from 1930, all you needed were horse and carts and children with flapcaps

Our Council are either blind stupid or arrogant

If we want to save money lets cut Directors Salaries by 50 per cent and the Chairman of Council Committees by 75 per cent

Notts County Councils new motto is 'To Little to Late
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:08 pm

No Wizard people will not put up with icy roads, if our local Councty Councillor can get hedges cut with poppys growing in them which nobody wanted and which offended many then he can get the roads ploughed and gritted in Warsop

If people cant get to work or suffer a loss through Notts County Councils failure to grit and plough the roads then damages should be sought against them through the courts , after a few compensation claims the penny will drop that they need to make the roads safe as it will be a lot easier and cheaper for them
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:This has nothing to do with cutbacks as Notts County Council have just appointed a new Chief Executive at £170,000 a year which is obscene and disgusting, but dont worry Councillors I am sure the poor and needy of the County will accept your cutbacks to ensure these fatcats in power dont go without a decent salary

No doubt they will be out with the begging bowl again next April saying they have got to increase the Council Tax

The road to Meden Vale to the A60 was unacceptable and looked like a scene from 1930, all you needed were horse and carts and children with flapcaps

Our Council are either blind stupid or arrogant

If we want to save money lets cut Directors Salaries by 50 per cent and the Chairman of Council Committees by 75 per cent

Notts County Councils new motto is 'To Little to Late

Unfortunately, on this occasion, the sequence of the weather caused the problem, and gritting even 20 minutes before it started snowing would not have made any difference.
Neither cutting the Directors salaries, or even sacking them, would have made any difference at all.

Spending a few hundred thousand pounds on snow ploughs would not have made it any easier either.
We can't afford to buy the snow ploughs, just to use them around 20 days each year.
The road was driveable with care, although I will admit that travelling on most of the main roads could have been been made safer if the snow plough had been deployed to level off the ridge of snow that was left in between the tyre tracks.
I didn't hear of any major accidents happening when the snow storm was at its worst, so the roads couldn't have been too bad to drive on.
Maybe some people lose their confidence when driving on snow.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:39 pm

The actions of Notts County Council were unacceptable and legal procedures should be taken to bring those at the council to account for gross misconduct

Of course cutting the salary of the Chief Executive by £100,000 will help or did you not do maths at school Wizard, a saving of £100,000 over 5 years would be half a million, just think of the services that could be saved from one salary redution alone!

we want the roads ploughed and gritted not much to ask is it

I hope people will start to sue the Council for any losses they have had as a result of their lack of action

we could do with a by election which would kick hopless selfish Labour out of power they do not represent the people but only themselves, they are very good at talking the talk but hopless at walking the walk

I have learnt at a very valuable lesson and that is if this is what Labour is like at County level then God help this country if we are ever misfortnate enough to give these muppets national power
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Adrian, I respect your view but I don't share it and I'm not going to make, what I consider, a weather issue into a political one because occasionally things happen that we can't apportion blame to. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for our own affairs and that includes driving carefully in bad weather.

I've already had my say and Wizard has reiterated my point about gritting, so I won't repeat myself.

However, I will point out Al, that the snow is NOT nationwide. It's quite localised, mainly in the East Midlands. Although it was forecast, when I say we were caught out, I mean we were not expecting it in such volume or such intensity. This is a satellite image of the snow.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Dont worry Caz the Chad and other larger social networks are taking up the cause

i
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:Dont worry Caz the Chad and other larger social networks are taking up the cause

i
:) I'm not worried Adrian and there's nothing wrong with having your say. I know once you get your teeth into something, you go with it and I admire your determination. I wish you all the best in your campaign.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Fair point Cas, but lets face it, 2 inches of snow and the country vertually grinds to a halt :roll: Thats where i was coming from.
Just to cheer you all up we had a bloody FROST this morning :? water pipes frozen for a couple of hours and the tempreture went to -2 degrees. Bloody freezing :lol: :lol: Brought back memories of home :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 pm

:lol: You had a frost? Well, just to cheer you up, you're still a bit warmer than us. We're currently at -3.8c.
And to cheer me up, I'm off to the warmth of the Caribbean for my birthday next month! :D
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter