Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Mill Dam Swans Injured

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Mill Dam Swans Injured

Postby Wizard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 am

I was in the pub last night, and someone told me that the swans on the Mill Dam had been attacked by a dog,leaving one seriously injured, but the other one is missing. Does anyone know anymore details?
Nothing was said about the cygnets, so I don't know if they have been injured or not.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Re: Mill Dam Swans Injured

Postby paulb » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

I was at the Dam yesterday evening, after the attack - I didn't see either adult swan, so I don't know if the injured one has been taken somewhere for care, or how seriously injured it was. There was a massive operation involving some local kids to rescue the cygnets - both had been retrieved and loaded into the van of (I think) Clumber Pets.

Paul.
paulb
Lite Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm

paulb wrote:I was at the Dam yesterday evening, after the attack - I didn't see either adult swan, so I don't know if the injured one has been taken somewhere for care, or how seriously injured it was. There was a massive operation involving some local kids to rescue the cygnets - both had been retrieved and loaded into the van of (I think) Clumber Pets.

Paul.

Thanks for the info Paul.
Keep us updated if you hear any more news on this.

Do you know what happened to the swans, as someone said it was an Alsation that attacked them, but I am not sure if theat is correct or not?
Surely someone must have seen or heard something, as the Fair has started to arrive, so there would have been plenty of people around at the time of the attack.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:39 pm

This is sad to hear. I love our local swans as I know most other people do, which is why I'm not surprised to hear of the rescue operation. Well done to those who helped. Please can anyone update us on this?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Because not many people are posting on here at the moment, its difficult to get any accurate reports about this.
I have just been informed that the missing swan has been found dead somewhere around the Hills and Holes area.
I haven't heard any updates about the injured swan though.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby minime » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 am

The male swan and 2 cygnets were at the mill dam, male swan was seriously injured,the RSPCA couldn't come out, so locals set to to retrieve the male, they didn't want to leave the cygnets unprotected so 3 hrs later they were retrieved,at this point the female swan was nowhere to be seen. They were taken to wharmby's, male swan had operation and was stitched. The RSPCA then collected all 3 and took to rehabilitation. 2 days later the female swan was found near the waterfall on hills and holes dead, impossible to say after that length of time , how she died, but obviously there was some sort of confrontation with both swans protecting cygnets.rumours have been rife and passions have been running high.we all love our swans and it is devastating., unless the actual facts are known, it's best to accept this disaster and look forward to the male swan coming back with babies.
minime
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for that info! That was the story I heard on good account and it's the only one I'd be prepared to repeat. The swans take their cygnets to the Hills and Holes for flying lessons and it's possible that they were injured in that area. There are apparently several sites where confrontation has taken place, so it's possible the female was killed and the male injured but he managed to get the cygnets back to the safety of the Mill Dam.

Nobody really knows what happened, or nobody who wants to say, so it's no good speculating. I've heard lots of stories and fingers have been pointed but that serves no purpose at all. We just have to continue to look after our swans the best we can and this is an example of people doing as much as they can to help the survivors. As harsh as it sounds and as upsetting as it can be, the fact is, swans are wild birds and like all others they have to take their chance in life.

I do hope we find the cause, so we can do as much to prevent this happening again.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Does anyone know the latest news with the male swan and cynets?
Have they been returned to the Mill Dam yet?
As previously mentioned, there has been a lot of speculation about whose dog it was that caused the injuries to the male swan (and the death of the female swan) but as far as I know, nothing has been proved.
The good thing is, (if the information is correct) the persons responsible are not regular dog walkers on the Carrs.
In fact, they probably only go there once a year!!
I hope everything turns out all right for the poor birds.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 pm

I was wondering the same Wiz. I haven't seen the swans but I haven't been walking down by the Mill Dam this week.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm

I haven't been a walk around the Carrs since before the carnival Caz, but I have just driven past the Mill Dam and I can see that they are erecting some fencing, so it looks like the dredging could be starting real soon!!
With this is mind, whoever is looking after the swans will probably wait until the dredging has been completed before they return them to the water.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Yes, the dredging should be starting any time and you may be right. It would be better to leave the swans until it's done to save them having any further distress.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 pm

I was told in the pub this evening that the injured swan has had to be put down as it wasn't getting over the infection it had got as a result of the dog attack.
No information about the cygnets though!!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Return to Warsop Chatter