Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Overflowing Rivers and the Environment Agency

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Overflowing Rivers and the Environment Agency

Postby Wizard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Isn't it about time that the Environment Agency got their act together regarding dredging the rivers?
All they have to do to alleviate the problems on the smaller rivers throughout the United Kindom (including the River Meden and Mill Dam) is to simply use a crane with a bucket and dump the silt on the river bank.
This would make the rivers deeper, thereby allowing more water to flow in them, and at the same time increase the height of the river bank by at least 60cm, which would hopefully stop the rivers from overflowing.
I know there is supposedly problems with the mineral content of the silt, but I can't hear them bleating on about the problem now that the silt has covered all the farm land and gardens!
OK, the river banks would look a mess for a few months, but it would soon grass over and be back to normal.
It shouldn't affect the wild life too much, as they live on the side of the river bank, not the top of it.
It has got to be cheaper than trying to deal with the problems we are having with all the floods that keep occurring every time we have a few weeks of rainfall.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Re: Overflowing Rivers and the Environment Agency

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:20 pm

I see one problem with the above post - it's too logical / sensible!
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby whitevanman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:27 am

Where's the like button :lol:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Andrew Daykin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:14 pm

EA = "They'd better change from Suits to Wetsuits, and fast.........."
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby BigAl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Its a pity that this only comes to light when there are votes at stake.
Time is passed to help the situation and i believe that with the extreme weather that is about now and that is going to come in the future it will make no difference dredging the rivers. The answer ( in my opinion ) lies in the canals that have been neglected all over the country, clean these up and divert the flood water from known problem areas into the canals. The water can then be controlled by locks and fed into the reservoier's as and when needed. This would also open up the possibility of moving goods by barge as in the old days giving many people work and easing the problem on the roads.
Its not rocket science is it so why can the idiots in power see this and use a bit of common sense.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Westmorland » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Nothing can happened until the drier Spring weather arrives, when dredging needs to start on these rivers,

The problem we have at the moment is that Politicians are running around like blue a|_|_|ed flies trying to blame someone and look as though they are actually doing something, mainly because there are a number of marginal seats in the South West , I think one went to the Tories from Labour in 2010 by just 200 votes

For once I agree with the Daily Mail, that we need to take some money form the billion pound overseas budget and start to help our own country from disaster before we start helping others.

The rivers are in a mess and the roads are full of potholes, welcome to the Tory Britain of 2014, their cuts are just flooding in.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 pm

their cuts are just flooding in.

like the quote lol
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby mr50p » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Tomas Drouty wrote:I see one problem with the above post - it's too logical / sensible!
Wizard wrote:Isn't it about time that the Environment Agency got their act together regarding dredging the rivers?
All they have to do to alleviate the problems on the smaller rivers throughout the United Kingdom (including the River Meden and Mill Dam) is to simply use a crane with a bucket and dump the silt on the river bank.
This would make the rivers deeper, thereby allowing more water to flow in them, and at the same time increase the height of the river bank by at least 60cm, which would hopefully stop the rivers from overflowing.
I know there is supposedly problems with the mineral content of the silt, but I can't hear them bleating on about the problem now that the silt has covered all the farm land and gardens!
OK, the river banks would look a mess for a few months, but it would soon grass over and be back to normal.
It shouldn't affect the wild life too much, as they live on the side of the river bank, not the top of it.
It has got to be cheaper than trying to deal with the problems we are having with all the floods that keep occurring every time we have a few weeks of rainfall.

Tomas Drouty wrote:I see one problem with the above post - it's too logical / sensible!

Well :ugeek: We are talking about the man who says there is no limit to the cash he will spend :lol:
And the above post should work it has for years :oops:
But if you don't dredge you will save a lot of lolly :x
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm

I've just got home from a week in Lanzarote and even the Spanish are talking about flooded Britain, so we seem to have hit the world news.

I do agree with all the above and it really annoys me that everyone who should know something about this subject knew exactly what could happen and did absolutely nothing about it. It's been talked about and debated for a few years but cutbacks have just allowed it to be swept under the carpet, which of course is just false economy as it's now going to cost much more to put things right and for some unfortunate people, things will never be put right.

Yes, it is all about politics, but then isn't everything? And I don't think It's anything to do with the colour of the politics because they're all the same when it comes to priorities.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

They certainly do know about it over here Cas.
I stick by my first statement on this subject, parts of Holland are a lot lower than the troubled Somerset area, they had the same weather near enough as England did but have not been overwhelmed because they have always maintained and used the river and canal system.
Now they have sent aid to the Somerset area in the form of pumps to help clear the water.

Will the powers that be see the lessons that are to be learned, I think not.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Warsop Chatter