Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

The Bells

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

The Bells

Postby Westmorland » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:29 pm

We are proposing to bring the price of bells for weddings in line with many other churches and with effect from January 2014 we will be charging £200 for the bells
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: The Bells

Postby ELMER FUDD » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

I'd expect to take them home with me for that price.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

AHEM !! :D You can get married for less than that, :roll:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:48 am

What a silly idea!!
Warsop will be a quiter place then won't it?
The charge can only be put down to pure greed.
4 of you ringing bells (reluctantly) for half an hour, works out at at a labour charge of £200 per hour.
Everyone is trying to save money in these hard times, and you decide to hike the price of bell ringing to £400.
Obviously, you want Saturdays off then do you?
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 am

No it is not pure greed, there are 8 bells which means we have to get 8 bellringers, some of which travel from as far a field as Grealsey, Sutton, Retford, petrol is not cheap.
Each ringer gets £20 which is still below what alot of other churches charge and £40 goes to the tower fund to maintain the tower

I am not quite sure were you get 4 bellringers from Wizard but you are incorrect and obviously know nothing about the bellringers of Warsop Church Tower

There are some churches not to far away who charge £250 for bells and some only have 6 bells and there has been no decrease in people requesting bells, quite the opposite in fact

Were do you get the figure of £400 from, we are increasing it to £200 which has been agreed by the Rector and PCC
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

My brother and his friends do the bell ringing in Pinxton and they get £15 a time. Methinks you might start to see a decrease in the number of people wanting them given you are increasing prices while people are struggling to survive in todays climate.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Westmorland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:52 am

maybe you should have a look what an organist gets paid fro funerals and weddings, we ring funerals for free

Organists are paid by the service. Rates in London are always substantially higher than in the provinces.
The HOURLY rate paid in London was between £16.50 and £27: in the provinces, between £13 and £19.50 A service normally lasts about one hour, though some travel time and journey expenses may be appropriate. Something around £20/25 seems reasonable; a little more if the journey is longer. I know that some churches pay more; in a few cases, substantially more. That is fortunate for those players concerned, but is the exception rather than the norm.

The fees for funerals in London average £85, and £55 in the rest of the U.K.. Wedding fee rates are £100 in London, and £70 elsewhere. Remember that if a wedding is video-recorded, you are entitled to at least a 50% increase in the fee, and some churches ask for double the fee. These increases apply whether the video-photographer is a paid official at the service, or it is being recorded by a guest, or guests, with small digital cameras.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

maybe you should have a look what an organist gets paid for funerals and weddings, we ring funerals for free

Organists are paid by the service. Rates in London are always substantially higher than in the provinces.
The HOURLY rate paid in London was between £16.50 and £27: in the provinces, between £13 and £19.50 A service normally lasts about one hour, though some travel time and journey expenses may be appropriate. Something around £20/25 seems reasonable; a little more if the journey is longer. I know that some churches pay more; in a few cases, substantially more. That is fortunate for those players concerned, but is the exception rather than the norm.

The fees for funerals in London average £85, and £55 in the rest of the U.K.. Wedding fee rates are £100 in London, and £70 elsewhere. Remember that if a wedding is video-recorded, you are entitled to at least a 50% increase in the fee, and some churches ask for double the fee. These increases apply whether the video-photographer is a paid official at the service, or it is being recorded by a guest, or guests, with small digital cameras.

Unlike the organist bellringers do not get paid for ringing for church morning/evening services
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby ELMER FUDD » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

You said it yourself Adrian: you just want to keep up with the Jones's of other parishes when you say you want to bring prices in line with other churches. I would be interested to know when greed crept into campanology. It was always my impression that it was a social thing, a team activity, a free service to the church. That's how it started out as far as I know. I have known people who have joined the happy clan for the sheer joy of it, for the social side that goes with it, for the travel and the satisfaction they got out of it. Personally, it never appealed to me, it is just so much noise. Look what it did to that chap in Notre Dame. If some young romantic couple want a little pealing at their wedding good luck to them but isn't that activity expensive enough without making it more so just because some other House of God does?
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 pm

We only charge for weddings and have always done so

Funerals are free
and we ring for services on Sunday free

It is the first increase we have made for a number of years, when i first started ringing in 1981 we charged just £20 for the bells and got a pound each.

If couples want the bells from January 2014 for a wedding in 2014 then the charge will be £200, part of which goes into the tower fund to help maintain the tower and the bells.

The Organist Church Choir and Verger all get paid for weddings as well

I myself have only rung for one wedding this years as I have been very very busy.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Two genuine questions;
Why are you comparing the fees to London based rates and basically saying you are cheap in comparison? As we all know, London based rates, for anything, are inflated anyway.
Why do you feel that it is fair to charge guests to use the video function on their camera's? This is no different to taking photo's and does not cost the church, or clergy, anything.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby BigAl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 pm

They will be telling us next that the church has no money despite it being one of the richest organisations in the country.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby ELMER FUDD » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:26 pm

As with the pubs it will soon be the same for the churches: pricing their selves out of existence. They preach against the seven deadly sins but are not averse to a bit of greed when the opportunity presents itself.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:14 pm

I have heard that the Church owns the Dunham Toll bridge
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Warsop Chatter